How can I calculate the length and angle of a tube bend using only a calculator?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties with calculating the length and angle of certain shapes in fabricating. The formula for finding the angle is corrected and explained in detail, with a discussion on finding the correct solution. The conversation also includes a formula for finding the angle using the length and radius, as well as a restriction for the validity of the solution.
Good4you
I guess it has been too long since i have had to use any math beyond arithmetic. I am working on fabricating some tube work, and these similar shapes keep coming up. I keep thinking i can calculate them out, but for some reason i always get stumped and feel like i am missing some information. I know this should be easy and the information must be there because i can draw the darn thing in cad. But when working in the garage i do not always have access to a computer, and would like to be able to do these calculations with just a calculator.

Can someone help me find the length, and angle below.
tangent.jpg

Mathematics news on Phys.org
arg, figured it out, it was easy:
L=((.75^2+16.5^2)-5.25^2)^.5

A=Tan^-1(.75/16.5)+tan^-1(5.25/(.75^2+16.5^2)^.5)

If you wouldn't mind, could you explain how you got that result?

Your formula for the angle is wrong, it should be:

[tex]sin(A)=\frac{rd+\sqrt{d^2+h^2-r^2}}{d^2+h^2}[/tex]

where

[tex]d=16.5[/tex]

[tex]h=0.75[/tex]

Mentallic, can you please explain how you got that result?

Certainly, but before I show you, I should fix up my little typo :redface:

[tex]L=\sqrt{d^2+h^2-r^2}[/tex]

[tex]sin(A)=\frac{rd+h\sqrt{d^2+h^2-r^2}}{d^2+h^2}[/tex]

We will let the bottom side of that big triangle with hypotenuse [itex]L[/itex] be [itex]m[/itex], so the little distance between the centre of the circle and the side of that triangle is [itex]d-m[/itex].

[tex]d-m=rsinA[/tex], you can probably figure why this is so for yourself.

There are two parallel lines that are vertical, the radius and the side of that triangle. So the angle between the side of the triangle and the other radius connecting it is A. Also, with a big of filling in angles, the very left point on the triangle subtends an angle A too.

So, [tex]cosA=\frac{m}{L}[/tex] in that big triangle.

Combining these two equations by eliminating m, [tex]LcosA=d-rsinA[/tex]

Now for some algebra:

[tex]L\sqrt{1-sin^2A}=d-rsinA[/tex]

[tex]L^2(1-sin^2A)=d^2-2drsinA+r^2sin^2A[/tex]

[tex]L^2sin^2A+r^2sin^2A-2drsinA-L^2+d^2=0[/tex]

[tex]\left(L^2+r^2\right)sin^2A+\left(-2dr\right)sinA+\left(d^2-L^2\right)=0[/tex]

I put them all in brackets to easily notice that the quadratic formula is going to be used here.

[tex]sinA=\frac{2dr\pm\sqrt{4d^2r^2-4(L^2+r^2)(d^2-L^2)}}{2(L^2+r^2)}[/tex]

substituting [tex]L^2=d^2+h^2-r^2[/tex]

[tex]sinA=\frac{2dr\pm\sqrt{4d^2r^2-4(d^2+h^2)(-h^2+r^2)}}{2(d^2+h^2)}[/tex]

[tex]sinA=\frac{2dr\pm\sqrt{4d^2r^2+4d^h^2-4d^2r^2+4h^4-4h^2r^2}}{2(d^2+h^2)}[/tex]

[tex]sinA=\frac{2dr\pm\sqrt{4h^2(d^2+h^2-r^2)}}{2(d^2+h^2)}[/tex]

[tex]sinA=\frac{dr\pm h\sqrt{d^2+h^2-r^2}}{d^2+h^2}[/tex]

Now to figure out which solution is correct, the plus of minus, I just used simple numbers for d, h and r and found which fits the problem. If anyone could think of a more elegant way I would like to hear about it.

Just as a notice, if you use some random numbers to try, the problem cannot be physically made if [tex]d^2+h^2-r^2<0[/tex] or, [tex]r>\sqrt{d^2+h^2}[/tex] since it is not possible for the length between the centre of the circle and the end point of the triangle to be shorter than the radius, else the end point of the triangle will somehow be in the circle :smile:

So finally, [tex]sinA=\frac{rd+h\sqrt{L}}{d^2+h^2}[/tex]

Last edited:
hmm. interesting, that works too.
My equation had a typo as well, let's try again.

A=Tan^-1(Y/X)+sin^-1(R/(Y^2+X^2)^.5)
X=16.5
Y=.75
The Tan portion of the equation is for the leftmost angle of the red triangle, and the sin portion is for the leftmost angle of the blue triangle, also assuming the hypotenuse of each triangle is equal to each other.

Red angle plus blue angle (tan +sin) gives you the angle of the "L" leg to the horizontal; which is also equal to A.

xyr.jpg

Ahh nice, I like your solution :smile:
The restriction that [tex]d^2+h^2-r^2\geq 0[/tex] is also present in a slightly different form in yours.

For [tex]sin^{-1}x[/tex] to exist, [tex]-1\leq x\leq 1[/tex]

Going from the restriction, [tex]r^2\leq d^2+h^2[/tex]

[tex]\frac{r^2}{d^2+h^2}\leq 1[/tex]

[tex]-1\leq \frac{r}{\sqrt{d^2+h^2}}\leq 1[/tex]

which is what you'll find in your arcsin portion of the answer.

Related to How can I calculate the length and angle of a tube bend using only a calculator?

What is Tube Bending?

Tube bending is a process used in manufacturing to shape metal tubes into desired angles or curves. This is achieved by using specialized machinery and tools to apply force and reshape the tube without causing any damage to its structural integrity.

What is the purpose of Tube Bending?

The main purpose of tube bending is to create pipes or tubes with specific angles or curves for use in various industries such as plumbing, automotive, aerospace, and construction. It allows for the creation of custom and efficient designs that meet specific requirements and save space.

What factors affect the quality of Tube Bending?

The quality of tube bending depends on several factors, including the type of material being used, the thickness and diameter of the tube, the type of bending process, and the skill and experience of the operator. Other factors such as the condition of the machinery and the precision of measurements also play a role.

What are the different methods of Tube Bending?

There are several methods of tube bending, including mandrel bending, roll bending, compression bending, and rotary draw bending. Each method has its advantages and is suitable for specific applications. The choice of method depends on factors such as the type of material, the required angle or curve, and the level of precision needed.

What are the safety precautions for Tube Bending?

Safety is crucial when performing tube bending operations. Some of the safety precautions include wearing appropriate protective gear, following proper operating procedures, and ensuring the machinery is in good working condition. It is also important to have a trained and experienced operator and to conduct regular maintenance checks on the equipment.