Are You Enjoying the Tornado Show in the SE States?

• Thread starter Rach3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weather
In summary, a group of people are discussing the current weather conditions in different states, including tornados and thunderstorms. Some have experienced severe weather, while others have had mild or pleasant weather. One person is going to find a snack, and another is planning to travel to Tennessee. They also discuss the safest place to be during a tornado and share personal experiences with severe weather. A penguin named pengwuino offers to hug someone, and there is a discussion about cars and who drives the Physics Forums RV.
Rach3
Who else is watching the tornados waltz by in the SE quadrant of the States? Over here we've had nice, mild weather up to now - light hail, supercells, lightning storms, minor flooding. Very relaxing. I'm going to find myself a snack.

Anyone else in this 13-state region - remember, the safest place to be during a tornado is outside of it. (Preferably in a basement)

Physics news on Phys.org
Well the lightning is pretty. :biggrin:

I'm looking at a local thunderstorm at the moment. Haven't seen much in the way of high winds - yet. But I think a few cells are headed this way.

We lucked out a few years ago when a microburst or supercell stopped a couple of hills away from us. About a 2 miles or less from our house a line of trees and houses was 'blasted', and the line was headed more or less in our direction.

I live in Atlanta, Ga and the weather has been pretty clear. I'm going up to Tennessee tommorow though, and I just heard there were some tornados today.

We had a thunderstorm this morning. I didn't get to see it; I was out at the farm in an indoor building, but just heard the thunder. Then we had a beautiful, warm, sunny afternoon, and it's back to pouring rain tonight.

January, february, march, and april showers better bring may flowers around here.

I got hit with a microburst supercell, baseball size hail, totaled all four of my cars and caused +$40k in damage to the house. Had to have the roof replaced.

Evo said:
I got hit with a microburst supercell, baseball size hail, totaled all four of my cars and caused +$40k in damage to the house. Had to have the roof replaced.

poor evo, do you want a hug?

Pengwuino said:
poor evo, do you want a hug?
Yes, YES, I do! Hug me pengwuino.

Evo said:

He'll beak you if he tries.

Ivan Seeking said:
He'll beak you if he tries.
I've never been beaked before. That might not be a bad thing... :redface:

Evo said:

:!) :!) :!) :!) :!) *hugs evo but pokes her in the arm with his beak*

Pengwuino said:
:!) :!) :!) :!) :!) *hugs evo but pokes her in the arm with his beak*
:!) :!) :!) :approve:

Nice to know at least one penguin around here is a gentleman!

Evo said:
I assume you don't mean today, because that would be a pretty quick repair estimate and new roof! :eek:

FOUR cars?! I hope at least one of them was a junker you were trying to sell. :bugeye: It's only you and two daughters, right? So, at most, three drivers?

Jaguar, Mercedes, BMW, hmm what else would evo drive?...lexus?

Yugo, Taurus, Neon...

Who drives the PF RV? Who's certified?

Who has a HAZMAT license? You need one, to transport Pengwuinos.

1. What causes tornadoes in the Southeastern United States?

Tornadoes in the Southeastern United States are typically caused by the collision of warm, moist air from the Gulf of Mexico with cool, dry air from the North. This creates an unstable atmosphere that is conducive to the development of thunderstorms and tornadoes.

2. How often do tornadoes occur in the Southeastern United States?

Tornadoes occur in the Southeastern United States more frequently than in any other region in the country. On average, there are around 30 tornadoes per year in this region.

3. Are tornadoes in the Southeastern United States more dangerous than in other parts of the country?

While tornadoes in the Southeastern United States are more common, they are not necessarily more dangerous. The most destructive tornadoes can occur in any region and are dependent on various factors such as intensity, duration, and population density.

4. How can I stay safe during a tornado in the Southeastern United States?

The best way to stay safe during a tornado in the Southeastern United States is to have a plan in place and be prepared. This includes having a designated safe place, such as a basement or storm shelter, and staying informed about weather conditions through local news and alerts.

5. Is climate change contributing to the increase in tornadoes in the Southeastern United States?

There is currently no scientific consensus on the direct impact of climate change on tornado frequency in the Southeastern United States. However, it is believed that climate change may be contributing to other factors, such as warmer and moister air, that can influence tornado formation.