Removing Thumb Finger Warts Safely

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, According to this conversation, cryosurgery (freezing the wart off), self-surgery (digging the wart out with a scalpel), and black duct tape (covering the wart and preventing light from reaching it) are all ineffective. The one cure which has been successful is filing it down and then taping banana skin onto it every night for a week.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I have had one on the side of my second from thumb finger for years, when
it was all warty like i nearly managed to dig it out, but the pain was to much
and i chickened out :mad: , the doctor told me not to worry about it as to
remove it surgically would result in it returning, now it is under the skin and
it drives me mad as i can feel it all the time, i am not one for old wives remedies, but i will try any (cure) that has proved sucsesful for you.
i want to keep my finger by the way, it is sort of useful :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Lasers... lots and lots of lasers

What about that stuff that you get at the drugstore and you freeze your wart off? Saw a commercial.

Mk said:
What about that stuff that you get at the drugstore and you freeze your wart off? Saw a commercial.
MK, it just so does not work, i have tried all the drug store type remedies,
i may just have flushed my $ down the loo :cry: :cry:

Old wifes tale.

On a full moon night...cut a potato in half. Hold it against the wart for 20 minutes then throw it as far away from your home as you can. Don't wash your hands till morning.

My grandfather used to mention the sap of a particular tree, I don't remember which, but we discovered any white tree sap would work, applied and forgotten for a day or two, remembering, of course to keep it away from your eyes - I think some white tree sap, like that of the Oleanders, can blind you.

I used my bare hands to get my verruca out.

Painful, but result is good.

Hide in a pond and wait for a toad to come along and pick you up.

My sister got rid of a wart on her finger with a red hot needle.

wolram said:
I have had one on the side of my second from thumb finger for years, when
it was all warty like i nearly managed to dig it out, but the pain was to much
and i chickened out :mad: , the doctor told me not to worry about it as to
remove it surgically would result in it returning, now it is under the skin and
it drives me mad as i can feel it all the time, i am not one for old wives remedies, but i will try any (cure) that has proved sucsesful for you.
i want to keep my finger by the way, it is sort of useful :smile:

i heard on the radio one day a looong time ago that wrapping the area in black electrician's tape does the trick. the last time i had a wart i got the acid stuff from the drugstore AND also wrapped my finger tight with electrician's tape so the area around the wart was airtight. when i took the old tape off to replace it & put on more acid drugstore stuff i also cut away all the old dead skin. also got to make sure you only get that acid on the wart or else it BURNS :tongue2: & never ever remove the tape except for a couple minutes a day to replace it. not sure why that works but it must be the lack or air or lack of light that does it.

One I heard a few days ago ..cover it with duct tape!
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/10/14/health/main525523.shtml

Surgery?

I just went to the doctor. He froze it, then he literally took scissors to cut it out, and burned everything underneath.

It never came back.

I had quite a few warts, and have tried all the proper cures and old wives tales:

Cryosurgery - worked temporarily but it was back within a month
Self surgery - dug the bugger out with a scalpel, it was back within a week
Bazooka - crap
That stuff you get from a pharmacy which freezes it off - crap
Black duct tape - worked for a couple of months
'Selling' it to my mum - rubbish

But the one which actually, really, genuinely worked, was filing it down as much as possible without breaking the skin, and then taping banana skin (I kid ye not) on it every night for about a week. The bugger dissolved and hasn't been back since. Definitely worth a try.

But the one which actually, really, genuinely worked, was filing it down as much as possible without breaking the skin, and then taping banana skin (I kid ye not) on it every night for about a week. The bugger dissolved and hasn't been back since. Definitely worth a try.

OK, i will give it a go, which side of the skin do you use ?

I had warts on my fingers in college. The doc froze them dead with a swab dipped in liquid nitrogen. After the dead parts fell off there was still some wart tissue left that would have grown back if left unchecked. He warned me about this and I went in for a second treatment. This time did the trick.

So, if they're well established you simply need more freeze treatments in succession with a little healing in between but not enough time for them to grow back to the size they were.

zoobyshoe said:
I had warts on my fingers in college. The doc froze them dead with a swab dipped in liquid nitrogen. After the dead parts fell off there was still some wart tissue left that would have grown back if left unchecked. He warned me about this and I went in for a second treatment. This time did the trick.

So, if they're well established you simply need more freeze treatments in succession with a little healing in between but not enough time for them to grow back to the size they were.

The trouble is Zooby, the (doctors) about here do not think a wart is worth
bothering about, there was a wart clinic once but that fell by the nhs wayside, i just hope they get warts on their bits. :grumpy:

wolram said:
The trouble is Zooby, the (doctors) about here do not think a wart is worth
bothering about, there was a wart clinic once but that fell by the nhs wayside, i just hope they get warts on their bits. :grumpy:
Hmmm. That's just plain wrong because an active wart tends to make others appear. I started with one on one finger. A year later when I decided to do something about it I had a total of five. Once I'd gotten them all killed I didn't get another for years.

Anyway, it's a matter of getting the whole thing killed, especially the "root", which is the hardest part to get to. Freezing or acid with wrapping just has to be repeated and repeated till you've killed the last few wart cells.

Here they sell a freezing device which creates cold through a chemical reaction. This isn't as good as liquid nitrogen, though. I once killed a wart with dry ice. Also not as good as liquid nitrogen, but something you can do yourself. I got a small chunk of dry ice and chipped off a piece that was pointy to hold on the wart. You hold it with tweezers or pliers and push the pointy part onto the wart. I spent about 15 minutes at it, holding it there as long as I could stand, letting off for relief, then applying it again. The first treatment killed it flush to the skin. When the dead part fell off I got more dry ice and did the whole thing over. Eventually, I got the whole thing.

wooly said:
OK, i will give it a go, which side of the skin do you use ?

The gooey side.

Zoob, they sell the freezing device here too, I bought two and still couldn't kill the bugger. Tried dry ice too and it was back after a few days with that. A doctor will burn them off, but as soon as you get rid of one another one usually crops up, either at the same spot or someone else. You gain immunity to them eventually, and it'll just drop off.

brewnog said:
Tried dry ice too and it was back after a few days with that.
Yes, you have to give it more than one treatment. Because of their shape and because much of them is beneath the surface, it's not usually possible to freeze the whole thing in one shot. With dry ice you may have to freeze it two, three or four times a week apart to kill the whole thing. Liquid nitrogen is much colder and you can freeze deeper each time. Dry ice is only half as effective but if your doctors won't even treat them, then it's all you have to work with.

I used a very sharp Swiss Army knife - had to follow up a few times (about 1x/week for a month or so). I don't know what hurt more, the surgery or the rubbing alcohol I soaked it in afterward to avoid infection. The wart kept snagging on stuff (which hurt) and I didn't have the money to pay a doctor, nor insurance, but I did have a Swiss Army knife, a Wa****a sharpening stone and rubbing alcohol. It sounds like the file and banana method would have been more fun, though.

Edit: Interestingly, the board software won't allow you to post good words that contain rude words whithin them. The rude word is a synonym for crap and the word is the name of a city in Oklahoma, IIR.

Last edited:
Apply http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tannic_acid" to the Wart once a day until it is gone.

Redwood Tree's are very high in Tannic Acid and have the Highest Immunity than any Tree in the World, They are also immuned to most Fugal, Viral, Molds and insects and fire.

Use concentrated form, Apply with a Q-Tip.

Try it.:bugeye:

Last edited by a moderator:
zoobyshoe said:
Yes, you have to give it more than one treatment. Because of their shape and because much of them is beneath the surface, it's not usually possible to freeze the whole thing in one shot. With dry ice you may have to freeze it two, three or four times a week apart to kill the whole thing. Liquid nitrogen is much colder and you can freeze deeper each time. Dry ice is only half as effective but if your doctors won't even treat them, then it's all you have to work with.
I had one on my hand once, and knowing that freezing is how they generally treat warts here, I tried that too. Actually, I tried a combination approach...burned it down with a little chip of dry ice until I couldn't stand it any longer, then got one of those medicated things where you stick a little spot of wart remover stuff on it and cover it with a bandaid. Applied that for a few days, and that seemed to finish off anything I missed, because it never came back after that and I've never had another.

i've heard the electrical tape thing works too. my cousin had one and tried everything, the the electrical tape worked. he said he also used fresh garlic cloves as well. but that was it. worked better than freezing or burning. that's all i know.

Gale said:
i've heard the electrical tape thing works too. my cousin had one and tried everything, the the electrical tape worked. he said he also used fresh garlic cloves as well. but that was it. worked better than freezing or burning. that's all i know.
I'm starting to think that if you just throw enough stuff at a wart, it'll eventually give up and go away. :biggrin:

Wolram, I think the key here is repetitive treatment. Warts are DEEP. They can go almost to the bone, and they spread.

Many of the techniques suggested here may kill some of the wart, but if you stop them too soon, or if you don't cover the entire area of the wart, it will eventually grow back.

Pick a method and *stick with it*, till long after you see no signs anymore.

Last edited:
If you've got the virus, no amount of freezing will get rid of them permanently. You just have to wait to gain immunity.

Right Moonie?

brewnog said:
If you've got the virus, no amount of freezing will get rid of them permanently. You just have to wait to gain immunity.

Right Moonie?

a wart is a virus i did not know that.

Well, anyone of a shedload of viri actually, all different strains of human papillomavirus.

Gale said:
i've heard the electrical tape thing works too. my cousin had one and tried everything, the the electrical tape worked.

yeah it worked for me too. i used the acid stuff from the drugstore then covered it up with electrical tape. whenever i reapplied the acid stuff & tape i cut away the old skin to expose more. it took only ~10 days to get rid of it completely.

Old and wart free. :biggrin:

This site explains more about warts and possible treatments.
http://familydoctor.org/209.xml

It even explains why the duct tape (and probably electrical tape too) works...it irritates the wart to stimulate the immune system to attack it. It's always nice to know there's an explanation for a home remedy that seems to work. :biggrin:

brewnog said:
Well, anyone of a shedload of viri actually, all different strains of human papillomavirus.

AAAAAAhhh, i gots me a virus, that is not fair.

Last edited:
Evo said:
Old and wart free. :biggrin:

What is old and wart free :confused: have you been on the cough drops
again ?

Moonbear said:
This site explains more about warts and possible treatments.
http://familydoctor.org/209.xml

It even explains why the duct tape (and probably electrical tape too) works...it irritates the wart to stimulate the immune system to attack it. It's always nice to know there's an explanation for a home remedy that seems to work. :biggrin:

I put electrical tape around it, but my finger went all dead and white, and now i have gone and stuck a serated lid cutter in my other hand :grumpy:

o heck i am unclean and wounded, all i need now is for the bank manager to tell me i am skint, oh waite a minute i am. :cry:

I had a liitle group (3) of tiny warts at the base of the nail of my big toe for years. Then one day they just weren't there any more.

Wolly you've had that wart for more years than I care to remember and you've always picked it - is there still a wart in there or is it scar tissue that's left?

oh by the way I think you put the tape on too tight if your finger fell off... :P

ps - was just looking through to make sure you were posting as a way of checking you were still alive as I don't know when to ring because I don't want to wake you up...