Did John McCain participate in political favors for land speculators?

• News
  • Thread starter edward
  • Start date
In summary, McCain was drawn into a land speculator's deals and facilitated several local Arizona land swaps in exchange for cash.
edward
McCain was drawn into a land speculator's deals.

When Mr. Diamond wanted to buy land at the base, Fort Ord, Mr. McCain assigned an aide who set up a meeting at the Pentagon and later stepped in again to help speed up the sale, according to people involved and a deposition Mr. Diamond gave for a related lawsuit. When he appealed to a nearby city for the right to develop other property at the former base, Mr. Diamond submitted Mr. McCain’s endorsement as “a close personal friend.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/22/u...em&ex=1209009600&en=da8131838b9ef481&ei=5087

In addition to property at Fort Ord there were several local Arizona land swaps that McCain facilitated. Diamond traded small parcels of land not capable of development because they were too steep, for thousands of acres of federal land in the path of development + cash.

Physics news on Phys.org
My first thought, of course, was: they're trying again? But then after checking the article, I find they only mention the Keating 5 once, in passing, and don't actually connect it to the issue that the article is about. So - could you explain what you mean by "shades of the Keating Five"?

russ_watters said:
My first thought, of course, was: they're trying again? But then after checking the article, I find they only mention the Keating 5 once, in passing, and don't actually connect it to the issue that the article is about. So - could you explain what you mean by "shades of the Keating Five"?

That would be John McCain once again doing favors for someone wealthy.:rolleyes: Even people in AZ didn't know that McCain had been involved in Diamond's California ventures.

Only a few people knew that McCain had enabled Diamond's Arizona land swaps.

edward said:
That would be John McCain once again doing favors for someone wealthy.:rolleyes:
Yes, he's a politician. What does that have to do with the Keating five? Are you saying that the Keating five was just your typical every-day political favor?

russ_watters said:
Yes, he's a politician. What does that have to do with the Keating five? Are you saying that the Keating five was just your typical every-day political favor?

Keating definitely tried to make it a typical political favor. It wasn't, it was a scandal.

McCain was one of the Keating five. I guess it was a bit before your time, but it is still a hot issue in Arizona. Plus it is again the same AZ senator involed in a California issue.

The developer now involved with McCain goes from one land scam to the next always being able to buy his way through the bureaucracy.

From the link:

Mr. Diamond is close to most of Arizona’s Congressional delegation and is candid about his expectations as a fund-raiser. “I want my money back, for Christ’s sake. Do you know how many cocktail parties I have to go to?”

He definitely got his money back, 100,000 times over. McCain sponsored two bills that only benifited Daimond.

Last edited:

Q: What is "Shades of the Keating Five"?

"Shades of the Keating Five" is a book written by John McCain and Mark Salter that documents the events surrounding the Keating Five scandal in the late 1980s. It provides insight into the political and financial corruption involved in the scandal and its impact on the careers of the five senators involved.

Q: Who were the Keating Five?

The Keating Five refers to five senators who were accused of improperly intervening on behalf of Charles Keating, a savings and loan executive, during a federal investigation into his company's financial practices. The senators were Alan Cranston, Dennis DeConcini, John Glenn, John McCain, and Donald Riegle Jr.

Q: What was the outcome of the Keating Five scandal?

The outcome of the scandal was a mixed one. While the five senators were cleared of any criminal wrongdoing, they were rebuked by the Senate Ethics Committee for exercising "poor judgment" and for creating the appearance of impropriety. The scandal also led to the collapse of the Lincoln Savings and Loan Association, which cost taxpayers over $3 billion.

Q: How did the Keating Five scandal impact John McCain's political career?

The Keating Five scandal had a significant impact on John McCain's political career. While he was cleared of any criminal charges, the scandal tarnished his reputation and led to a decline in his popularity. However, he was re-elected to the Senate in 1992 and went on to have a successful political career, running for president twice and serving as a senator until his death in 2018.

Q: What lessons can be learned from "Shades of the Keating Five"?

One of the main lessons that can be learned from "Shades of the Keating Five" is the importance of ethical behavior and avoiding even the appearance of impropriety in politics. It also highlights the potential consequences of political corruption and the need for transparency and accountability in government. Additionally, the book sheds light on the influence of money in politics and the dangers of politicians being too closely tied to powerful and wealthy individuals or corporations.

Back