Cons. of momentum and cons. of energy

In summary, the particles have kinetic energies of 6/5 * 1/2 * m2v22 after the compressed spring releases them.
musicfairy
Particle A and particle B are held together with a compressed spring between them. When they are released, the spring pushes them apart, and they then fly off in opposite directions, free of the spring. The mass of A is 5.00 times the mass of B, and the energy stored in the spring was 63 J. Assume that the spring has negligible mass and that all its stored energy is transferred to the particles. Once that transfer is complete, what are the kinetic energies of each particle?

What I did:

0 = m1v1 + m2v2

m1 = 5m2

v1 = .2v2

U = K1 + K2

I got stuck here. I'm not given v or m. What am I supposed to do?

Physics news on Phys.org
musicfairy said:
Particle A and particle B are held together with a compressed spring between them. When they are released, the spring pushes them apart, and they then fly off in opposite directions, free of the spring. The mass of A is 5.00 times the mass of B, and the energy stored in the spring was 63 J. Assume that the spring has negligible mass and that all its stored energy is transferred to the particles. Once that transfer is complete, what are the kinetic energies of each particle?

What I did:

0 = m1v1 + m2v2

m1 = 5m2

v1 = .2v2

U = K1 + K2

I got stuck here. I'm not given v or m. What am I supposed to do?

You are given PE and you know the relationship between the velocities basically from Newton's Third Law - action = reaction and from that you figured the Velocity of the heavier is 1/5 that of the the lighter one. (Though I note that it's really v1 = -1/5*v2.)

So you know that the KE of the system is 63 J after the spring unloads.

You also know that

0 = m1v1 + m2v2

m1v1 = - m2v2

Multiply both sides by the identity that v1 = - 1/5 V2

m1v12 = 1/5 * m2v22

Now look at your PE = KE1 + KE2 = 1/2 * m1v12 + 1/2 * m2v22

But we can substitute using the previous relationship and get:

PE = 1/2 * 1/5 * m2v22 + 1/2 * m2v22

63 J = 6/5 * 1/2 * m2v22

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanation.

Using the final equation you gave me, I was able to get the correct answer.

Earlier I substituted into U = K1 + K2 and got the right answer, except I switched the kinetic energies of A and B. Problem solved.

Once again, thanks a lot for the explanation. I understand the concepts better now.

Just wanted to thank you both. I was having a heck of a time with a problem that was very similar to this. I had tried to use the principles of energy, but was getting stuck. Pion's explanation was very helpful.

p21bass said:
Just wanted to thank you both. I was having a heck of a time with a problem that was very similar to this. I had tried to use the principles of energy, but was getting stuck. Pion's explanation was very helpful.

Welcome to PF.

Glad you found it of value.

Cheers.

1. What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum remains constant. This means that the total amount of momentum before an event or interaction is equal to the total amount of momentum after the event.

2. Why is the conservation of momentum important?

The conservation of momentum is important because it helps us understand and predict the motion of objects in a closed system. It allows us to determine the speed, direction, and final position of objects after a collision or interaction.

3. What is the difference between conservation of momentum and conservation of energy?

The conservation of momentum is a physical law that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. On the other hand, the conservation of energy is a physical law that states that the total energy of a closed system remains constant. While momentum is a measure of an object's motion, energy is a measure of an object's ability to do work.

4. How does the conservation of momentum apply to everyday life?

The conservation of momentum applies to everyday life in various ways, such as in car accidents, sports, and even throwing a ball. In a car accident, the total momentum of the vehicles before and after the collision remains the same. In sports, players use the principles of momentum to their advantage, such as in a game of pool or a hockey puck being hit with a stick. When we throw a ball, the force we use to push the ball forward is equal to the force that the ball exerts back on our hand, thus conserving momentum.

5. Can the conservation of momentum be violated?

No, the conservation of momentum is a fundamental law of physics and cannot be violated in a closed system. This means that in any interaction or event, the total momentum of the system will remain the same. However, in an open system, such as in outer space where there is no external force acting, the total momentum can change over time due to external forces like gravity.