Absolutely Closed Metric Spaces.

In summary, an absolutely closed metric space is complete, but it is not possible to show that the image of the space is also absolutely closed.
qspeechc
Hi.

An absolutely closed metric space M is such that: If N is a meric space containing M, then M is closed in N.

I would like to show that an absolutely closed metric space is complete, how do I do this? I know the proof of the converse but that's no help obviously.
I know intuitively that an absolutely closed space should be complete: if you "imbed" the space in its completion, it will be a closed subset, and hence complete itself. But! We only know that any space is isometric to a subset of its completion, not that a completion containing the space exists (am I making sense?).
The problem seems to me that for a given metric space M, you do not know if there are any other metric spaces containing it.
I tried to show that the image of an absolutely closed metric space under an isometric function is itself absolutely closed, but I couldn't. If I could show that, then the image of M would be a closed subset of M's completion, and hence complete, thus M would be complete.

Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
qspeechc said:
I know intuitively that an absolutely closed space should be complete: if you "imbed" the space in its completion, it will be a closed subset, and hence complete itself. But! We only know that any space is isometric to a subset of its completion, not that a completion containing the space exists (am I making sense?).

But isn't that isometry is also a bijection? Call a bijective isometry an isomorphism of metric spaces.

If two metrics spaces are isomorphic, and one of them is complete, then surely the other is too, since Cauchy sequences are preserved by isomorphisms.

Yes, but then we would have to show that the image of the absolutely closed space is also absolutely closed, or at least a closed subset of its completion. But it is not possible to show that the image of M as a subset of its completion is closed.

Lets say our isometry from M to a subset of its completion is f. We want to show f(M) is a closed subset of the completion of M, let's call it C.
Take a sequence in f(M) converging to some point in C...how do we show this limit is in f(M)?

I see...

But suppose we have constructed the completion (M',d') of (M,d) and h:M-->M' is an injective isometry. Can't we define M'' as [itex]M\cup (M'-h(M))[/itex] with the obvious metric, so that M'' is a complete metric space effectively containing M?

Yes, that looks like it will work.

The metric we will use on M'' takes on the values of the corresponding points in M'. We must first check M'' is complete: obvious. If x_n is Cauchy in M'', the corresponding sequence is Cauchy in M' and hence converges in M', so x_n converges to the corresponding point in M''. M is absolutely closed, so is a closed subset of M'', hence it is complete. Is this correct?

Thanks for your help quasar987, your solution is so obvious, yet I've been thinking about this problem for a few days.

I'm glad I could help!

1. What is an absolutely closed metric space?

An absolutely closed metric space is a mathematical concept used in topology that refers to a set with a distance function defined on it. This distance function satisfies the properties of a metric, and the set is closed with respect to this metric.

2. What are the characteristics of an absolutely closed metric space?

An absolutely closed metric space has the following characteristics: it is a set with a distance function defined on it, the distance function satisfies the properties of a metric, and the set is closed with respect to this metric. Additionally, every convergent sequence in an absolutely closed metric space has a limit that is also in the space.

3. How is an absolutely closed metric space different from a closed metric space?

While both an absolutely closed metric space and a closed metric space have a distance function defined on them and are closed with respect to this metric, the main difference is that an absolutely closed metric space also satisfies the properties of a metric, while a closed metric space may not. This means that every convergent sequence in an absolutely closed metric space has a limit in the space, while this is not necessarily true for a closed metric space.

4. What is the significance of studying absolutely closed metric spaces?

Absolutely closed metric spaces have many applications in mathematics, physics, and computer science. They are used to study convergence and continuity, and are also important in the study of topological spaces. Additionally, understanding absolutely closed metric spaces can help with understanding more complex mathematical concepts.

5. Can you provide an example of an absolutely closed metric space?

One example of an absolutely closed metric space is the set of real numbers with the usual Euclidean distance function. This set is closed with respect to this metric, and the distance function satisfies the properties of a metric, making it an absolutely closed metric space. Additionally, every convergent sequence in this space has a limit that is also in the space.