How can a compound said to be glass?

• Thread starter jied
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Glass
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of glass transition and how it relates to the formation of glass ceramics. The speaker also asks about the glass component and how it can be identified in a sample. It is mentioned that chitosan is a polymer and there is no specific component that defines a glass. The expert further explains the process of glass transition and how it results in an amorphous configuration. The speaker expresses gratitude for the clarification and help.
jied
regards,
i m doing my MSc in glass ceramic, i ve read in journals saying that when glass are heated above its crystallization temperature, it can be considered to transformed into glass ceramics, and of course if has to undergo XRD or FTIR or FESEM to confirm it, but how can we say that it is glass? what is the glass component?
i m using lithium acetate, aluminium oxide, titanium oxide and ammonia dihydrogen phosphate as starting material.

Thanks in advance :cool:

Physics news on Phys.org
do an absorption spectrum of the material.

jied said:
regards,
i m doing my MSc in glass ceramic, i ve read in journals saying that when glass are heated above its crystallization temperature, it can be considered to transformed into glass ceramics, and of course if has to undergo XRD or FTIR or FESEM to confirm it, but how can we say that it is glass? what is the glass component?
i m using lithium acetate, aluminium oxide, titanium oxide and ammonia dihydrogen phosphate as starting material.

Thanks in advance :cool:

If I understand your question, a glassy state is defined as having short-range order but long-range disorder; crystals have long-range order.

That said, the glass transition is considered one of the most outstanding unanswered questions in physics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass_transition

does that help?

Sybren said:
do an absorption spectrum of the material.

yes, thank you. and i understand FTIR is one of the method for this technique. i m waiting for the result as we speak :smile:

what i do not understand is the glass component. for example, if we use chitosan to make a sample, then we say that the sample is a polymer. i ve searched every journals, and many books i read doesn't state a glass component.

Andy, thanks for reviewing my question, and it sure help. i m actually doing a glass ceramic conducting material, which needs me to understand glass transitions, but i still can't get myself clear.

In a melt, the molecules are randomly aligned. In order to crystallize, they need to orient themselves into a regular, periodic array. Below a certain temperature, the necessary movements can not occur, and the molecules are "frozen in". This temperature is the glass transition. If cooling occurs quickly enough, the molecules are stuck in an amorphous configuration, without the long range order or periodicity of a crystal. We call this phase glass.

Chitosan is a polymer because of its chemical bonding. You can have glassy polymers, but generally polymers are considered a separate category. Disregarding that, there's no "component" that defines a glass. There are even metallic glasses, although again, these may be considered a separate category.

johng23 said:
In a melt, the molecules are randomly aligned. In order to crystallize, they need to orient themselves into a regular, periodic array. Below a certain temperature, the necessary movements can not occur, and the molecules are "frozen in". This temperature is the glass transition. If cooling occurs quickly enough, the molecules are stuck in an amorphous configuration, without the long range order or periodicity of a crystal. We call this phase glass.

Chitosan is a polymer because of its chemical bonding. You can have glassy polymers, but generally polymers are considered a separate category. Disregarding that, there's no "component" that defines a glass. There are even metallic glasses, although again, these may be considered a separate category.

Thanks so much. i can now relate what i have read about glass transition. we can only be sure that the samples are glass, thought its structure, if i understand your explanation.

thank you so much for the replies and help. Only God knows how much this has helped me. :smile:

1. How is glass formed?

Glass is formed through the process of heating and cooling a mixture of sand, soda ash, and limestone. This mixture, also known as "batch", is melted in a furnace at extremely high temperatures. As the mixture cools, it solidifies into a non-crystalline structure, creating glass.

2. What gives glass its transparent appearance?

Glass is transparent because it does not have a crystalline structure, which allows light to pass through it without being scattered. This lack of crystalline structure is also what makes glass brittle and shatter when broken.

3. Is glass considered a solid or a liquid?

Glass is classified as an amorphous solid, meaning it does not have a definite melting point like a crystalline solid. Instead, it gradually softens and becomes more fluid-like when heated. However, it is still considered a solid because it maintains its shape and does not flow like a liquid.

4. Can glass be made from other substances besides sand?

Yes, glass can also be made from other substances such as recycled glass, boron, or lead. Each type of glass has its own unique properties and uses. For example, lead glass is often used in fine crystal due to its high refractive index.

5. How is glass used in scientific research?

Glass is an important material in scientific research as it is non-reactive, allowing for accurate measurements and observations. It is commonly used in laboratory equipment such as beakers, test tubes, and microscope slides. Glass is also used in optics, such as lenses and mirrors, and in the production of electronic devices.