Why Do Proofs Become Crucial for Understanding Math Concepts?

• Thread starter Square1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Strategy
In summary, the conversation discusses the struggles of a math student and their need to truly understand concepts by learning them from the ground up, including proofs. They also mention their weaker math skills and the difficulty in learning in a systematic way. A suggested learning strategy is to try to prove the theorem on their own before reading the proof in the text.
Square1
Hi everyone.

I would like to get some advice I guess in learning strategies for math. Here is my scenario..

I find that in the math classes I've taken so far in university (currently on my second intro calc semester) my typical math learning pattern goes like this...fall behind, do not hand in assignments, study like a dog for the midterms (learn effectively hand "muscle memory" to solve problems or whatever trivial pattern I can grasp), and do class average on the test.

Then, because I AM still to a degree a righteous math student :), I do in fact typically start reviewing the following weekend the things I did not fully grasp. (Note I am restarting my falling behind cycle...) But as I relearn the stuff, I am finding more frequently that I simply can't learn the material unless I TRULY learn it from ground up - notably, that means if there are proofs associated with a concept, one way or another, I do not move forward until I feel comfortable with the proof. The pickle is I can't seem to even approach a proof until I have some greater level of familiarity with a subject ie learn the vague ideas as pressured by an upcoming test.

Now what truly makes me curious to my own situation is that math has been by far my weakest subject. I nearly flunked it in gr 11, flunked in gr.12 (If you're wondering, I got into intro calc at uni by taking a precalc class...whos prereqs weren't too heavily enforced...).

How on Earth is is that someone like myself who has been so mathematically inept throughout his life, discovers he can only truly grasp a concept by struggling through understanding a proof? I don't get it! Everyone I know who is not an honors math student does not give a single droplet of s***t about proofs, instructors tell us not to worry about them, that is, if they even go over them!

Is anyone familiar with my situation? In what ways am I a typical math student and what ways am I not? Can people suggest a learning strategy that they think will help? Thanks a lot everyone.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You are quite normal. It is much easier and better try and learn things in a systematic way that stresses how each thing relates to the others. The whole point of proofs is that they help us to understand and avoid misunderstanding. The trouble with this approach is it can be difficult and take a long time. You cannot expect to always under everything deeply right away. Trying to learn a jumbled mess of facts you do not understand may seem easier, but it is an unreliable and counterproductive approach.

Square1 said:
Hi everyone.

I would like to get some advice I guess in learning strategies for math. Here is my scenario..

I find that in the math classes I've taken so far in university (currently on my second intro calc semester) my typical math learning pattern goes like this...fall behind, do not hand in assignments, study like a dog for the midterms (learn effectively hand "muscle memory" to solve problems or whatever trivial pattern I can grasp), and do class average on the test.

Then, because I AM still to a degree a righteous math student :), I do in fact typically start reviewing the following weekend the things I did not fully grasp. (Note I am restarting my falling behind cycle...) But as I relearn the stuff, I am finding more frequently that I simply can't learn the material unless I TRULY learn it from ground up - notably, that means if there are proofs associated with a concept, one way or another, I do not move forward until I feel comfortable with the proof. The pickle is I can't seem to even approach a proof until I have some greater level of familiarity with a subject ie learn the vague ideas as pressured by an upcoming test.

Now what truly makes me curious to my own situation is that math has been by far my weakest subject. I nearly flunked it in gr 11, flunked in gr.12 (If you're wondering, I got into intro calc at uni by taking a precalc class...whos prereqs weren't too heavily enforced...).

How on Earth is is that someone like myself who has been so mathematically inept throughout his life, discovers he can only truly grasp a concept by struggling through understanding a proof? I don't get it! Everyone I know who is not an honors math student does not give a single droplet of s***t about proofs, instructors tell us not to worry about them, that is, if they even go over them!

Is anyone familiar with my situation? In what ways am I a typical math student and what ways am I not? Can people suggest a learning strategy that they think will help? Thanks a lot everyone.

you learn by thinking a lot. Struggling with proofs is one way to think but not the only way. I like to explore the meaning of theorems or structures by asking questions about them then seeing if I can answer them.

Try proving the theorem yourself first. Don't give up if you can't prove it but keep trying until you know exactly what it is that you can not figure out - usually some missing fact. Then read through the proof in the text.

Last edited:
Thank you both for the input. And lavinia that seems like a good, and challenging, tactic (trying to come up with proof and checking how you are off). Thanks.

I can understand your frustration and confusion with your math learning strategy. It is important to recognize that everyone has their own unique way of learning and understanding concepts. It seems like you have found that for yourself, understanding the proofs behind a concept is what helps you fully grasp it. This is not uncommon, as many students find that understanding the logic behind a concept helps solidify their understanding.

However, it is also important to keep in mind that proofs may not always be necessary to fully understand a concept. In some cases, understanding the application and problem-solving techniques may be enough to succeed in a math class. It is important to find a balance between understanding the proofs and being able to apply the concepts in problem-solving.

In terms of a learning strategy, I would suggest trying to stay on top of your assignments and not fall behind. This will help you avoid the cycle of cramming for exams and feeling like you have to relearn everything. Additionally, try to seek out resources outside of class, such as tutoring or online tutorials, to help you better understand the material. And most importantly, don't be afraid to ask your instructor for help or clarification on concepts, including proofs.

Overall, every student has their own unique learning style and it may take some trial and error to find what works best for you. Keep exploring different approaches and don't be discouraged by your past struggles with math. With determination and a solid learning strategy, I am confident you can succeed in your math courses. Best of luck to you.

1. What is the most effective way to improve math learning?

The most effective way to improve math learning is to practice regularly and actively engage with the material. This can include solving problems, asking questions, and seeking help when needed.

2. How can I make math less intimidating?

One way to make math less intimidating is to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts. It can also be helpful to approach math with a positive attitude and to remind yourself that mistakes are a normal part of the learning process.

3. What resources are available to help me with my math learning?

There are many resources available to help with math learning, including textbooks, online tutorials, and study groups. Your school or local library may also have resources such as practice problems and study guides.

4. How can I stay motivated while learning math?

One way to stay motivated while learning math is to set small, achievable goals for yourself. Celebrate your successes and seek out support from friends, family, or a tutor when you encounter challenges. Remember to take breaks and practice self-care to avoid burnout.

5. Is it normal to struggle with math learning?

Yes, it is completely normal to struggle with math learning. Math can be a challenging subject for many people, and it is important to remember that everyone learns at their own pace. Don't be afraid to ask for help and keep working hard, and you will see progress over time.