Strange radioactivity question. fast

In summary, a strange question that I have to do a presentation on. I thought it would be easy but I can't find any information after looking through 2 major physics books and searching online. I even asked a tutor about this and still couldn't get any equations I could use. Plz don't bash me if this is the wrong forum. Just direct me to the right one then.
EasyStyle4747
Strange radioactivity question. please help fast!

I know this is in the k-12 forum too but i wasnt sure if this is college level stuff or not so sorrie if this is in the wrong forum.

And I am not telling u to do this for me, i just want to know some equations and anything that wuld help.

well, this is a strange question that i have to do a presentation on. I thought it would be easy but i can't find any information after looking through 2 major physics books and searching online. I even asked a tutor about this and still couldn't get any equations i could use. Plz don't bash me if this is the wrong forum. Just direct me to the right one then. This is the problem:
Radioactive Emission Ranges: For a 35 becquerel (Bq) source of alpha radiation, calculate the rate of particles arriving at a 5.0x10^-4m^2 detector located 20.0 cm, 50.0 cm, 100.0cm, and 130 cm from the source. Repeat the calculations for the same detector at the same positions for a 48 Bq source, a 125 Bq source, and a 1753 Bq source.

Tabulate and graph your results on a detection rate (Bq) versus distance (cm) graph, with source activity(Bq) as an extra parameter.

Just need an equation or equations to solve this. You don't have to solve it. I am not tryin to cheat, i just need to know where to even start with this thing. I can't find any equation that includes distance along with detection rate and area. Both books don't have anything. Am i suppose to use several equations together or wat? If anyone has any idea how this is done, please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not completely familiar with this term, but if a 5.0x10^-4m^2 detector is what I think it is, the solution would simply be:

(rate of the source)*(area of the detector)/(surface of the sphere with radius 20 cm,... etc.)

In the experiment that we have to do after we do the calculations, we are going to be given a detector device which looks sort of like a large yellow calculator with a square hole on the top. Thats the part that does the detecting. You can switch the top part to have a aluminum foil covering and or some thicker metal covering. The sources we have are these small colored chips that have labels on them tellin u if their beta alpha or gamma. Hope that helps to clarify what the detector is.

As for the equation u gave out: (rate of the source)*(area of the detector)/(surface of the sphere with radius 20 cm,... etc.), what do u mean by the "surface of the sphere with radius 20 cm,... etc"?How do u implement the distances and the value of the sources(Bq) into the equations.

Like from what i see: this is what u plug in right? : (rate of source)(5.0x10^-4m^2)/(?).

O and by the way, where or how did u derive that equation from.

wait, by surface of the sphere with radius 20 cm, do u mean surface area? Because the detector does not detect 360 degrees. By 20 cm, 50 cm, etc..., i think it means the source chip is placed 20 cm from the tip of the source. So with that in mind, does the equation change...?

1. What is "strange" radioactivity?

"Strange" radioactivity refers to the phenomenon of detecting unusual and unexpected forms of radiation. This can include particles with unusual properties or behaviors, as well as unexpected levels or patterns of radiation emission.

2. Can "strange" radioactivity be dangerous?

Yes, "strange" radioactivity can potentially be dangerous, as it may indicate the presence of radioactive materials that can harm living organisms. It is important to properly monitor and handle any sources of "strange" radioactivity to minimize potential risks.

3. How is "strange" radioactivity detected?

"Strange" radioactivity can be detected using various instruments and techniques, such as Geiger counters, scintillation detectors, and gamma ray spectrometry. These tools measure the levels and properties of radiation emitted by radioactive materials, which can help identify any "strange" radioactivity.

4. What causes "strange" radioactivity?

"Strange" radioactivity can have various causes, including natural processes such as radioactive decay, as well as human activities such as nuclear reactions and accidents. In some cases, "strange" radioactivity may also be caused by unknown or unexplained sources.

5. How is "strange" radioactivity studied?

"Strange" radioactivity is studied by scientists using a combination of experimental and theoretical approaches. This can involve conducting controlled experiments and analyzing data, as well as developing and testing theories and models to explain the observed phenomena.