Double Integrals: Computing P with Constant Limits

• Thread starter muzialis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, when computing a double integral with infinite limits of integration, it is important to consider the region of integration carefully. Using a function that extends the original one for negative arguments may change the region and result in a different value. It is usually best to use the original function in these cases.
muzialis
Hi all,

I have a question regarding certain double integrals.
Assume the function $$ l(t) $$ is given as well as the function $$K(t)$$, defined only for positive argument. Also the definition $$n(t) = \int_{-\infty}^{t} K(t-\tau) l(\tau) \mathrm{d}\tau$$ is given. if I wish to compute $$P = \int_{-\infty}^{0} n(s) l(s) \mathrm{d}s$$ I obtain $$P = \int_{-\infty}^{0} \int_{-\infty}^{s} K(s-\tau) l(\tau) \mathrm{d}\tau l(s) \mathrm{d}s$$. So far, so good.
If I wish to have constant limits of integration I wrote down
$$P =0.5 * \int_{-\infty}^{0} \int_{-\infty}^{0} K1(s-\tau) l(\tau) \mathrm{d}\tau l(s) \mathrm{d}s$$, where K1(t) = K(t) if t is postive, K(-t) otherwise. I based my "guess" on the fact I am integrating in the region from ngative infinity to zero (on each axis), instead of integrating on an infinite "triangle". Is this correct? If not, can somebody please correct me?
What I particularly fail to grasp is that, if the previous expression were correct, one would expect that the same result would be obtained without resorting to the function K1, extended for negative arguments, but using the original K function in
$$P =\int_{-\infty}^{0} \int_{-\infty}^{0} K(s-\tau) l(\tau) \mathrm{d}\tau l(s) \mathrm{d}s$$, but I know the latter is wrong. Thank you very much for your help, always the most appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thank you for your question. Your initial approach to computing P looks correct. However, when you use the function K1, you are essentially changing the region of integration from an infinite triangle to a finite rectangle. This means that your result will not be equivalent to the original expression, where the region of integration is an infinite triangle.

To see this, consider the case where K(t) = 1 for all positive t. In the original expression, you are integrating over the entire region below the line y=x, which has an infinite area. However, when you use K1, you are only integrating over the finite rectangle with corners at (0,0) and (0,-1). This will result in a different value for P.

In general, when dealing with infinite limits of integration, it is important to consider the region of integration carefully. In this case, using the original K function is the correct approach, as it takes into account the entire region of integration. I hope this helps clarify things for you. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the volume under a 3-dimensional surface. It involves finding the area between the function and the x-y plane by integrating over a specified region.

2. How is a double integral different from a regular integral?

In a regular integral, we are finding the area under a curve on a 2-dimensional plane. In a double integral, we are finding the volume under a 3-dimensional surface. This means that we need two variables (x and y) to define the region of integration.

3. What are constant limits in a double integral?

Constant limits in a double integral refer to the values that define the boundaries of the region being integrated over. These limits can be numbers or variables, but they do not change as the integration is performed.

4. How do you compute P with constant limits in a double integral?

To compute P with constant limits in a double integral, you first need to set up the integral with the appropriate limits and function. Then, you can use integration techniques such as Fubini's Theorem or iterated integration to solve for the value of P.

5. What are some real-life applications of double integrals with constant limits?

Double integrals with constant limits have many applications in physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to calculate the mass or density of an object, determine the center of mass, or find the average value of a function over a given region. They are also commonly used in economics to calculate consumer surplus or producer surplus.