A student holding weights angular momentum problem

In summary: The change in mechanical energy can then be calculated using the formula ∆E = (1/2)Iω^2 where I is the new moment of inertia and ω is the new angular speed.In summary, the student is sitting on a rotating stool holding two weights, each of mass 10 kg. The system has an initial angular speed of 3 rad/s and a moment of inertia of 8 kg*m^2. The student pulls the weights horizontally to a distance of 0.3 m from the axis of rotation. Using the conservation of angular momentum, the final angular speed of the system can be calculated. The change in mechanical energy can then be found using the formula ∆
BrainMan

Homework Statement

A student sits on a rotating stool holding two weights, each of mass 10 kg. When his arms are extended horizontally, the weights are 1 m from the axis of rotation and he rotates with an angular speed of 3 rad/s. The moment of inertia of the student plus the stool is 8 kg*m^2 and is assumed to be constant. If the student pulls the weights horizontally to 0.3 m on the rotation axis calculate (a) the final angular speed of the system and (b) the change in the mechanical energy of the system.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure how to attempt this problem because I am confused by the statement "The moment of inertia plus the stool is assumed to be constant. " I thought that if the student brings its arms in it will change its moment of inertia so it can't be constant?

Physics news on Phys.org
BrainMan said:
I am not sure how to attempt this problem because I am confused by the statement "The moment of inertia plus the stool is assumed to be constant. " I thought that if the student brings its arms in it will change its moment of inertia so it can't be constant?

I think what it means is that the stool and student (NOT including the weights) have a constant moment of inertia.

Yes, the moment of inertia will change when the student extends his arms, even without weights, but the problem is basically telling you to ignore that.

It is an approximation (assume student's arms are massless).

Note - the student performs internal work when pulling in the weights, and this internal work is the source of the increase in mechanical energy of the system. It's possible to calculate the work performed using calculus, but the math is simpler if the problem is approached based on the fact that angular momentum is conserved.

Nathanael said:
I think what it means is that the stool and student (NOT including the weights) have a constant moment of inertia.

Yes, the moment of inertia will change when the student extends his arms, even without weights, but the problem is basically telling you to ignore that.
So how should I approach this problem?

BrainMan said:
So how should I approach this problem?

You need to find the moment of inertia of the weights at a distance of 1m, then add it to the moment of inertia of the student+stool (which is said to be 8) then use that to find the angular momentum

Then use conservation of angular momentum (you'll need to also find the new moment of inertia when the weights are at a distance of 0.3m)

What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's tendency to continue rotating. It is determined by the object's mass, velocity, and distance from the axis of rotation.

How is angular momentum related to weights?

In the context of a student holding weights, angular momentum is related to the weights by the distance from the student's hand to the weights and the speed at which the weights are spinning.

How does the mass of the weights affect the angular momentum problem?

The mass of the weights affects the angular momentum problem by increasing the rotational inertia, which is the resistance to change in rotation. This means that the greater the mass of the weights, the harder it will be for the student to change the direction or speed of the weights' rotation.

What is the conservation of angular momentum?

The conservation of angular momentum states that the total angular momentum of a closed system remains constant, unless acted upon by an external torque. In the case of the student holding weights, the total angular momentum of the system (student + weights) will remain constant as long as there are no external forces acting on it.

How can the angular momentum problem be solved?

The angular momentum problem can be solved by using the equation L = Iω, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity. It is also important to consider the conservation of angular momentum and the effects of external forces, such as friction or air resistance, on the system.