What is the Essence of This Field?

• Thread starter dreamsfly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field
In summary, a field is a physical attribute that permeates every point of spacetime. It can vary in strength and direction, and can propagate from point to point.
dreamsfly
Maybe the topic is rather large,but i still desire a general idea about that:smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dreamsfly said:
Maybe the topic is rather large,but i still desire a general idea about that:smile:

No one will be able to give you a "general idea" of anything if you present a question in such a vague manner. The "essence of a field" isn't exactly a standard, common phrase in physics. So unless you have a specific context and reference to cite to explain what this is or to show where such a phrase was used, your question is undefined.

Zz.

You mean a quantum field?

...or a classical field?

an american football field is generally 100 feet long, with two endzones that are 12 feet long. Back in the day the goal posts were at the beginning of the endzone, but then were moved back because too many poeple ran into them. The field is usually grass or astroturf.

Wishbone said:
an american football field is generally 100 feet long, with two endzones that are 12 feet long. Back in the day the goal posts were at the beginning of the endzone, but then were moved back because too many poeple ran into them. The field is usually grass or astroturf.

:rofl: I enjoyed that answer far too much. :rofl:

-Dan

dreamsfly said:

Physical entity that has quantifyable dynamical properties. It is as real as the chair you sit on.

regareds

sam

:redface: forgive me for not using the exact phrase,since i don't know it very well,the meaning i just want to express may be the hypostasis of field,and here "field" for one of the field theory

thanks!

dreamsfly said:
:redface: forgive me for not using the exact phrase,since i don't know it very well,the meaning i just want to express may be the hypostasis of field,and here "field" for one of the field theory

thanks!

You still have not explained clearly what exactly you are trying to find out about these "fields". An "essense" doesn't exactly tell us anything in terms of what you want to know. I can't imagine you want a whole lesson on field theory that most of us spend years studying.

Zz.

Well,I know it's impossible to explain the details about field,I just want to get a generel idea in that case,to form a concept about it.Naming electromagnetic field,gravitation field...etc,what are they?just the property of our space?

dreamsfly said:
The essence of the field?

An imprecise question demands an imprecise answer. So here you go.

Think of a field as a physical attribute that permeates every point of spacetime. Like the "Force" in Star Wars, sorta-kinda-not-really-but-you-get-the-idea. You can think of a field as the stuff the universe is made of, even the "void" and "vacuum of space" bits.

The physical attribute can vary from point to point. Like a magnetic field is stronger in some places than in others.

Variations can have direction and propagate from point to point. Like a transmission of electromagnetic radiation.

yards --not feet

"A field theory in physics is a theory which associates certain properties with every point of space and time."—M.L.G. Redhead, "Quantum field theory for philosophers" in PSA 1982 Vol. 2 (East Lansing, MI: Philosophy of Science Association, 1983).

Check out Zee's Quantum Theory in a Nutshell - it isn't all that hard.

Last edited:
Thank you all!

1. What is the essence of the field?

The essence of the field refers to the fundamental principles, concepts, and theories that define a specific scientific discipline. It is the core knowledge and understanding that all scientists in the field must possess.

2. How does one become an expert in the field?

Becoming an expert in the field requires a combination of education, experience, and ongoing research and study. Typically, individuals must earn a relevant degree and gain hands-on experience through internships or research opportunities. Ongoing learning and staying up-to-date with advancements in the field are also essential for becoming an expert.

3. What are the main areas of research in the field?

The main areas of research in a scientific field can vary, but they typically revolve around a central theme or focus. For example, in the field of biology, the main areas of research may include genetics, ecology, and cell biology. These areas may overlap and intersect, but they all contribute to the overall understanding of the field.

4. How does the field contribute to society?

The field contributes to society in various ways, such as advancing knowledge and understanding of the natural world, developing new technologies and treatments, and solving real-world problems. For example, in the field of environmental science, research and findings can help inform policies and practices to protect the planet and its resources.

5. What future developments can we expect in the field?

The future developments in a scientific field are often difficult to predict, but they are driven by ongoing research and advancements in technology. As new discoveries are made and technologies are developed, the field will continue to evolve and expand, leading to potential breakthroughs and advancements in various areas of study.