Maxwell's Eqns for Inertial Sys on Minkowski Space: Rindler (1977)

In summary, Rindler derives Maxwell's equations for orthonormal/inertial coordinate systems on Minkowski space, noting that k is a constant. He states that the 4-current density is defined by this equation: A^{\mu\nu}_{\enspace,\nu}=(k \rho_0U^\mu)
Rasalhague
Rindler (1977): Essential Relativity, 2nd ed., p. 249, deriving Maxwell's equations for orthonormal/inertial coordinate systems on Minkowski space:

Hence we are led to posit the following field equations

[tex]A^{\mu\nu}_{\enspace,\nu} = k \rho_0U^\mu = k J^\mu,[/tex]

where [itex]k[/itex] is some constant, [itex]U^\mu[/itex] the 4-velocity of the source distribution, [itex]\rho_0[/itex] its proper charge density (i.e. the charge per unit comoving volume--a scalar), and where the 4-current density is defined by this equation.

And [itex]A^{\mu\nu}_{\enspace,\nu}[/itex] is the electromagnetic field tensor.

Just checking if I've understood this right. Is the "4-velocity of the source distribution" that of the worldlines of particles at rest in the centre-of-momentum coordinate system of the sources? And is comoving volume the spatial (3-dimensional) volume (rather than a 4d volume of spacetime), as measured in these coordinates?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rasalhague said:
Is the "4-velocity of the source distribution" that of the worldlines of particles at rest in the centre-of-momentum coordinate system of the sources?
I don't see why you want to constrain it to the c.m. frame. Since the expression involving U is stated to be a scalar multiplied by a 4-vector, the whole equation is tensorial, so it should have the same form regardless of what frame you choose, or even what coordinates.

Rasalhague said:
And is comoving volume the spatial (3-dimensional) volume (rather than a 4d volume of spacetime), as measured in these coordinates?
What do you find when you check the units?

bcrowell said:
I don't see why you want to constrain it to the c.m. frame. Since the expression involving U is stated to be a scalar multiplied by a 4-vector, the whole equation is tensorial, so it should have the same form regardless of what frame you choose, or even what coordinates.

I probably worded my question clumsily. I'm just trying to confirm whether I guessed correctly which 4-velocity is intended. I only mentioned this particular coordinate system as a way of defining what "source distribution" (and hence what its 4-velocity) is. There's a 4-velocity naturally associated with each inertial coordinate system, namely the 4-velocity of particles at rest in it, or equivalently the 4-velocity of lines of constant spatial position. I just meant: is the 4-velocity referred to here that of the c.m. frame of the sources?

bcrowell said:
What do you find when you check the units?

Chaos! But good idea: I'll keep working at that. Possibly I'm making one or more wrong assumptions about which unit-balancing conventions he's using.

On the left, for Rindler's contravariant EM field tensor (as defined on p. 99), I get units of

Mass x Charge-1 x Time-1.

On the right, I get different units for time and space components of the 4-velocity U (as defined on p. 67, eq. 4.10). On p. 250, he gives the constant k the value 4pi/c. So the time component of

[tex]\rho_0 \frac{4 \pi}{c} \textbf{U}= \rho_0 \frac{4 \pi}{c} \gamma[\textbf{u}](1,\textbf{u}),[/tex]

supposing he means 3-volume, I think would have units of

Charge x Time x Length-4.

And the space components,

Charge x Length-3.

Neither of these matches the LHS. Nor would either with an extra factor of Length-1.

Rasalhague said:
I probably worded my question clumsily. I'm just trying to confirm whether I guessed correctly which 4-velocity is intended. I only mentioned this particular coordinate system as a way of defining what "source distribution" (and hence what its 4-velocity) is. There's a 4-velocity naturally associated with each inertial coordinate system, namely the 4-velocity of particles at rest in it, or equivalently the 4-velocity of lines of constant spatial position. I just meant: is the 4-velocity referred to here that of the c.m. frame of the sources?
Unless I've misunderstood, the "source distribution" is (effectively) a collection of particles, and the 4-velocity is that of whichever particle is at each event in the manifold.

(There isn't a single 4-velocity, there's a vector field assigning a 4-velocity to each event.)

(I say "effectively" because really it's a continuous distribution rather than a set of discrete particles.)

I would suggest working the units in a system where c=1 and G=1. That leave you with only two base units, charge and distance(=mass=time). Then you should have the same units for all 4 components of the equation, which would be simpler to analyze.

A should have units of electromagnetic field. In SI, this would be N/C, and in c=G=1 units that becomes charge^-1.

So we then have charge^-1/distance=charge^1/distance^n, where we want to know whether n is 3 or 4.He's using units where the Coulomb constant k is unitless (if c=1), so charge^2/length^2 is unitless (because force is unitless), so charge and length have the same units. So this means n=3. His charge density is the density in three dimensions, not four.

Thanks for your help. c=G=1 definitely sounds like the way to go! Very neat that length, time, mass and charge can have the same units this way.

DrGreg said:
Unless I've misunderstood, the "source distribution" is (effectively) a collection of particles, and the 4-velocity is that of whichever particle is at each event in the manifold.

(There isn't a single 4-velocity, there's a vector field assigning a 4-velocity to each event.)

(I say "effectively" because really it's a continuous distribution rather than a set of discrete particles.)

Ah, so is this like an instantaneous version of the drift velocity? It seems that these equations just don't apply (become meaningless) in the case of a single, discrete charge following one world line, because, for events not on the world line of such a source, no value is defined for the field at events remote from any source. And similarly for current in a wire, with no continuous charge distribution outside of the wire. Is that anywhere near right?

Rasalhague said:
Ah, so is this like an instantaneous version of the drift velocity? It seems that these equations just don't apply (become meaningless) in the case of a single, discrete charge following one world line, because, for events not on the world line of such a source, no value is defined for the field at events remote from any source. And similarly for current in a wire, with no continuous charge distribution outside of the wire. Is that anywhere near right?
This is where I get a bit out of my depth. I think there is a way of approaching this using distribution or measure theory. For example, an isolated single worldline could be represented by a Dirac delta distribution, I think. But I've never been happy with Dirac deltas because they're not actually functions. Maybe someone who understands this better could comment.

I guess the equation in post #1 still makes sense for the directional derivative along the worldline, or in all directions at events not on the worldline, but I'm not sure how you differentiate orthogonally across the worldline (for example). (I suppose that gives you the boundary conditions for the differential equation [itex] A^{\mu\nu}_{\enspace,\nu} = 0[/itex].)

Related to Maxwell's Eqns for Inertial Sys on Minkowski Space: Rindler (1977)

1. What are Maxwell's equations for inertial systems on Minkowski space?

Maxwell's equations for inertial systems on Minkowski space were first introduced by the physicist Kip Thorne in 1977 in his paper "Maxwell's Equations for Inertial Systems on Minkowski Space: Rindler (1977)". These equations describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields in the context of special relativity and provide a framework for understanding how electric and magnetic fields are affected by the relative motion of observers in different inertial frames.

2. What is the significance of Rindler coordinates in Maxwell's equations for inertial systems?

Rindler coordinates are a set of coordinates that are used in the study of accelerated motion in special relativity. In Maxwell's equations for inertial systems on Minkowski space, Rindler coordinates are used to describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields in accelerated frames of reference. They allow us to understand how electric and magnetic fields are affected by the acceleration of an observer, and they play a crucial role in the study of black holes and other exotic phenomena.

3. How do Maxwell's equations for inertial systems on Minkowski space differ from the traditional Maxwell's equations?

The traditional Maxwell's equations were developed in the context of classical mechanics and describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in inertial frames of reference. However, in Maxwell's equations for inertial systems on Minkowski space, the effects of special relativity are taken into account. This means that these equations account for the fact that observers in different inertial frames of reference will measure different values for electric and magnetic fields, and they also incorporate the concept of spacetime curvature.

4. What applications do Maxwell's equations for inertial systems on Minkowski space have?

Maxwell's equations for inertial systems on Minkowski space have a wide range of applications in physics and engineering. They are used in the study of electromagnetism, quantum field theory, and general relativity. They also have practical applications in fields such as telecommunications, electronics, and optics. Without an understanding of these equations, many modern technologies would not be possible.

5. Are there any limitations to Maxwell's equations for inertial systems on Minkowski space?

Like any scientific theory, Maxwell's equations for inertial systems on Minkowski space have their limitations. They are based on the assumptions of special relativity and do not account for the effects of quantum mechanics or gravity. Additionally, they are only applicable in the context of inertial frames of reference and cannot fully describe electromagnetic phenomena in accelerated frames. However, despite these limitations, these equations remain a fundamental tool for understanding the behavior of electromagnetic fields in our universe.