Curie Temperature: Determining Critical Point & Lattice Changes

In summary, determining the Curie Temperature of a ferromagnet involves conducting experiments to find the critical point, as well as considering changes in lattice and coordination number. The magnetic exchange interaction also plays a role, as it causes neighboring magnets to rotate and behave differently at high temperatures. To fully understand the behavior of multiple magnets, one must write the Hamiltonian of the system, taking into account the magnetic interactions between neighbors."
dlesswater
I was wondering how to we determine the Curie Temperature of a ferromagnet? I know an experiment can give us the critical point, but what about the changes in the lattice of each substance changes curie temperature? I do know it depends on the coordination number(number of neighbors). My teacher said something about the magnetic exchange interaction but I don't know what that is. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you have 2 magnets beside each other which their positions are fixed they try to rotate so that one be opposite of the other.The temperature's role is like a random rotation force on these magnets. So when the temperature is high enough they don't behave correlated. When you have a lot of such magnets what happens? You should write the hamiltonian of the system considering the magnetic interaction between neighbors.

1. What is the Curie temperature?

The Curie temperature, also known as the Curie point, is the temperature at which a material undergoes a phase transition from a ferromagnetic to a paramagnetic state. It is named after physicist Marie Curie who discovered this phenomenon.

2. How is the Curie temperature determined?

The Curie temperature is determined by measuring the magnetic susceptibility of a material as it is heated or cooled. This is done using a magnetometer, which is a device that measures the strength and direction of a magnetic field.

3. What factors affect the Curie temperature?

The Curie temperature of a material is affected by its chemical composition, crystal structure, and magnetic interactions between atoms. It is also influenced by external factors such as pressure and impurities.

4. What happens to the lattice structure at the Curie temperature?

At the Curie temperature, the lattice structure of a material undergoes a change from a regular, ordered arrangement to a more disordered state. This change in lattice structure is accompanied by a loss of magnetic properties.

5. Why is the Curie temperature important in materials science?

The Curie temperature is an important parameter in materials science because it can be used to predict and control the magnetic properties of materials. It also provides insight into the behavior of materials at high temperatures, which is crucial for many industrial and technological applications.