Discover the Difference Between 1,3-Butene and Butene Today!

• Thread starter phee
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the correct name for a compound with two double bonds. It is determined to be 1,3-butadiene, also known as but-1,3-diene in IUPAC nomenclature. The correct prefix for a compound with two double bonds is 'diene' and not 'ede'.
phee
Is this

1,3 -butene?

or just plain butene?

2d7ufcp.png

Physics news on Phys.org
It is actually 1,3-butadiene

So if there is two double bonds its di-"prefix"-ede ?

It is diene, no idea what you wrote - seems completely unrelated.

Technically correct IUPAC name is probably but-1,3-diene, but I am not going to pretend I am expert on organic nomenclature.

phee said:

That is correct, 'ene' though, not 'ede'

Last edited:
phee said:

gabriels-horn said:
That is correct, 'ene' though, not 'ede'

Somehow I fail to see "prefix" between di and ene.

Borek said:
Somehow I fail to see "prefix" between di and ene.

Yea completely fell asleep on that reply, prefix before diene.

Thanks, I understand now

What is the difference between 1,3-butene and butene?

1,3-butene and butene are both chemical compounds known as alkenes. However, they differ in their molecular structure. 1,3-butene has a double bond between the first and third carbon atoms, while butene has a double bond between the first and second carbon atoms.

What are the physical properties of 1,3-butene and butene?

Both 1,3-butene and butene are colorless gases at room temperature. However, 1,3-butene has a higher boiling point and melting point compared to butene due to its longer molecular chain.

What are the uses of 1,3-butene and butene?

1,3-butene is commonly used in the production of plastics, such as polyethylene and polypropylene. It is also used as a solvent and in the production of synthetic rubber. Butene is used in the production of gasoline and as a starting material in the production of other chemicals.

Are 1,3-butene and butene hazardous?

Both 1,3-butene and butene are flammable gases and should be handled with caution. In high concentrations, they can also cause irritation to the respiratory system. However, when used and stored properly, they do not pose significant hazards.

How do 1,3-butene and butene contribute to environmental issues?

1,3-butene and butene are considered greenhouse gases and play a role in contributing to climate change. The production and use of these compounds also release other pollutants, such as carbon monoxide and particulate matter, which can harm the environment.