Mass Spring System: Modeling & Trajectory Analysis

In summary, the conversation discusses a charge limiting system involving a steel ball moving horizontally at a constant speed. The ball must pass over an obstacle, causing a compression in the spring and a prestressed force on the ball. The goal is to determine the ball's trajectory, maximum height reached, and distance traveled before returning to the ground. Suggestions are given for solving this problem, including drawing a free-body diagram, considering initial velocity and forces, and solving a second-order differential equation. Adjustments can be made to the spring force and ball mass to achieve desired results.
carb
Hello,
I'm now working on a charge limiting system. I tried modeling it an easy way to be studied.

https://imageshack.us/a/img842/4572/3zvv.png

A steel ball (mass "m") moves horizontaly at a continuous speed to the right.
The ball has to pass over the obstacle (king of cam) which implies the compression of the spring (stiffness "k"). The spring is prestressed and applies a force Fp to the ball before passing the cam.

I'd like to figure out the ball trajectory (ball inertia has to be considered), to determine the maximum height reached by the ball, and the distance "d" of the ball jump before coming back to the ground.
I made some research on the web but I feel lost... Which differential equation to start with ? Is it possible to use a spreadsheet to plot the trajectory ?

Many thanks for any kind of help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You start by drawing a free-body diagram for the mass for when it leaves the end of the ramp.

You will need the initial velocity as the ball leaves the ramp, and yo want to consider what speed is being maintained constant and when? i.e. is the horizontal speed maintained constant at all times? Maybe the total speed is a constant up until the ball leaves the ramp, then it is allowed to change freely?

Hello Simon and thanks for your answer.
To make a first approximation I indeed consider that the horizontal speed is constant at all times. The translation motion is done by an electric motor, which one is switch-off when the ball pass over the cam (sensor), but due to the mechanical clearance between parts (reduction gearbox) I think I can consider that the speed actually start decreasing after the ball come back to the ground.

So draw a free-body diagram for the ball once it is released - the vertical force will depend on the height (because of the spring).

If you release the ball at the top of the ramp, then I'd set:
- negligible air resistance
##t=0## when the ball is at the top of the ramp.
##S=##uncompressed length of spring (which you don't have - but you do have ##F_p##?)
##C=##ceiling height
- the ceiling is furthest the ball could go up without hitting anything.
- the ceiling height is the distance from the floor to the ceiling.
##y=##vertical displacement, measured downwards from the ceiling.
... so - before mounting the ramp, the ball has ##y=C##, ##\dot{y}=0##, and ##\dot{x}=u##
... at the top of the ramp, ##y(t=0)=C-L\sin\alpha## etc. You do it.

1. Use trig to find the vertical component of the velocity at the top of the ramp.

2. Use Hook's law to find expressions for ##F_p## and ##F(y)## due to the spring - eliminate S to get an expression for ##F(y)## in terms of things you know.

3. Use ##\sum F=ma## to find a 2nd order DE in ##y##
... solve it as an initial value problem for speed ##\dot{y}(t>0)## and displacement ##y(t>0)##.

4. From there you can solve for the things you want:
i.e. max height is when vertical speed is zero.If the spring is very strong the ball will just slam into the floor at the base of the ramp, very weak and the ball will hit the ceiling, either situation breaks this model. I'm guessing you have some means to adjust Fp?

Thanks a lot for this resolution method. I feel closer to the results now.
Indeed, I know the value of Fp and can adjust it. I can also change the mass of the ball (however in a quite small range, something like +/-10%). I have to go sleeping now but I'll work on it tomorrow and let you know how it goes !

1. What is a mass spring system?

A mass spring system is a physical system that consists of a mass attached to a spring, which is then attached to a fixed point or another mass. The mass and the spring work together to create a simple harmonic motion, where the mass oscillates back and forth around the equilibrium point.

2. How is a mass spring system modeled?

A mass spring system is typically modeled using Hooke's law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the mass from its equilibrium position. This is represented by the equation F = -kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement.

3. What factors affect the trajectory of a mass spring system?

The trajectory of a mass spring system is affected by several factors, including the mass of the object, the spring constant, the amplitude of the oscillation, and the initial conditions (such as the initial displacement and velocity).

4. How is the trajectory of a mass spring system analyzed?

The trajectory of a mass spring system can be analyzed using mathematical equations and computer simulations. By solving the equation of motion, the position and velocity of the mass at any given time can be determined. Computer simulations can also be used to visualize the motion and analyze the effects of changing parameters.

5. What are the practical applications of mass spring systems?

Mass spring systems have various practical applications, including in engineering (such as in shock absorbers and suspension systems), in musical instruments (such as in guitar strings and piano keys), and in scientific research (such as in investigating the behavior of elastic materials). They are also used in simple pendulums, which are commonly used as timekeeping devices.