How to find the deceleration of a mass colliding on a spring?

In summary, the conversation discusses creating a mathematical model to understand the impact of a moving object on a sprung system. The relevant equations include the kinetic energy of the mass before collision, the potential energy of the spring at an instance, and the kinetic energy of the mass at the same instance. The conversation also touches on finding the position of the mass with respect to time and the acceleration, using Newton's laws and the ideal spring equation. It is suggested to use the solution x=A sin(ωt) to solve the differential equation, with A and ω being unknown constants. The use of v and v0 as variables is also mentioned.
k.udhay
Homework Statement
A known mass at a know velocity collides on a spring of known stiffness. What is the equation that governs the deceleration of the mass, so that the force on the spring could be found?
Relevant Equations
1/2 m*V^2 = 1/2*k*x^2 + 1/2*m*(Vo)^2

Kinetic energy of mass before collision = Potential energy of spring at an instance + Kinetic energy of mass at the same instance
Problem Statement: A known mass at a know velocity collides on a spring of known stiffness. What is the equation that governs the deceleration of the mass, so that the force on the spring could be found?
Relevant Equations: 1/2 m*V^2 = 1/2*k*x^2 + 1/2*m*(Vo)^2

Kinetic energy of mass before collision = Potential energy of spring at an instance + Kinetic energy of mass at the same instance

I am creating a simple mathematical model to understand the impact of a moving object on a sprung system:

As you can find, I am able to find the velocity of the object at any 'x' value after collision. I am also able to figure out the max. 'x' value by equating kinetic energy of the mass on RHS of the equation to zero. I am unable to find out the following though:

1. How to find the position of mass x W.R.R. time?
2. Vo is (dx / dt). I want the acceleration (d2x/dt2). I am out of touch with calculus for a very long time, adding to the fact that maths is my weak subject.

Can someone help me finding the above two points pl.?

Physics news on Phys.org
How to find the position of mass x W.R.R. time"
You use Newton: ##F = ma ## in combination with the (ideal) spring equation ##F = - kx##

Likes k.udhay
BvU said:
You use Newton: ##F = ma ## in combination with the (ideal) spring equation ##F = - kx##
But I don't know either acceleration or x. All I know is the time t.

Hint: F=##\text{m} d^2 x/dt^2 =\text{-kx} ##

Likes k.udhay
k.udhay said:
I am out of touch with calculus for a very long time
Then you are unlikely to be able to solve the differential equation. Have you heard of simple harmonic motion?
Plug in the solution ##x=A\sin(\omega t)##, where A and ω are unknown constants and see what happens.

By the way, your use of v and v0 is confusing. Usual is to have the unsubscripted form for the generic variable and the subscript to denote a particular value of it.

Likes k.udhay
haruspex said:
Then you are unlikely to be able to solve the differential equation. Have you heard of simple harmonic motion?
Plug in the solution ##x=A\sin(\omega t)##, where A and ω are unknown constants and see what happens.

By the way, your use of v and v0 is confusing. Usual is to have the unsubscripted form for the generic variable and the subscript to denote a particular value of it.
Yes, I later realized I should have given the subscripts correctly.

1. What is the equation for calculating deceleration in a mass-spring collision?

The equation for finding deceleration in a mass-spring collision is a = -(k/m)x, where k is the spring constant, m is the mass of the object, and x is the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position.

2. How do you determine the spring constant in a mass-spring system?

The spring constant can be determined by dividing the force applied to the spring (measured in Newtons) by the displacement of the spring (measured in meters). This can be represented as k = F/x.

3. Is the deceleration the same for all masses in a mass-spring collision?

No, the deceleration will vary depending on the mass of the object. The greater the mass, the lower the deceleration will be due to the object's inertia.

4. Can the deceleration be negative in a mass-spring collision?

Yes, the deceleration can be negative if the object is moving in the opposite direction of the spring's force. This can occur if the object was initially moving towards the spring and then bounces off in the opposite direction.

5. How does the amplitude of the spring affect the deceleration in a mass-spring collision?

The amplitude of the spring, or how far it is stretched or compressed, does not directly affect the deceleration. However, it can impact the total distance traveled by the object during the collision and therefore affect the overall deceleration experienced by the object.