Course Selection for a Phys/Math major

• Programs
  • Thread starter TimNguyen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Course Major
In summary, the individual is seeking advice on which math courses to choose for their mathematical concentration, specifically for graduate school. The courses they have to choose from are Abstract Algebra, Complex Analysis, Differential Geometry, Number Theory, and Combinatorics, and they only need to choose three. It is suggested that they take Abstract Algebra and Differential Geometry, and that Combinatorics and Number Theory may be useful for certain applications or as "bird courses".
TimNguyen
Hello,

I am double majoring in physics and pure mathematics and was wondering which math courses to choose in my mathematical concentration. This is what I have to choose from:

Three of the following courses:
Math 407 Abstract Algebra (3)
Math 412 Complex Analysis (3)
Math 425 Differential Geometry (3)
Math 430 Number Theory (3)
Math 471 Combinatorics (3)

and as it states, I only need to choose 3. Which of these would be best suited to take if I wanted to go into graduate school. Oh, and I already took Complex Analysis, so I guess that's counted out.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
well 407 and 425 for sure.

I absolutely agree, Algebra and Differential Geometry.

you don't need combinatorics or number theory...unless well if you go into QC they maybe useful as application. But if your looking for bird courses(if you like to prove stuff) they're fun to take.

What courses are required for a major in Physics/Mathematics?

The specific course requirements for a Physics/Math major vary depending on the university and program. However, typically students are required to take a combination of core courses in both Physics and Mathematics, as well as electives in specialized areas such as Astrophysics, Quantum Mechanics, and Differential Equations.

What are some recommended courses to take for a Phys/Math major?

In addition to the required core courses, it is recommended for students to take courses in related fields such as Computer Science, Chemistry, and Engineering. These courses can provide a well-rounded education and may also be helpful for pursuing graduate studies or careers in a specific subfield of Physics or Mathematics.

What is the workload like for a Phys/Math major?

The workload for a Phys/Math major can be quite challenging, as it involves a significant amount of coursework in two rigorous disciplines. Students can expect to spend a significant amount of time studying, attending lectures, and completing assignments and labs. Time management and strong study skills are essential for success in this major.

Is a double major in Physics and Mathematics possible?

Yes, it is possible to double major in Physics and Mathematics. However, it is important to note that this can be a very demanding and time-consuming option, as both majors require a significant amount of coursework. Students considering a double major should carefully plan their course schedules and seek guidance from academic advisors to ensure they are able to meet all requirements.

What career options are available for graduates with a Phys/Math major?

Graduates with a Phys/Math major have a wide range of career options available to them. Many go on to pursue graduate studies in Physics, Mathematics, or related fields, while others may choose to enter the workforce in industries such as finance, technology, research, or education. The analytical and problem-solving skills developed through this major are highly sought after by employers in various fields.