Geophysic=> Beyond Imagination

• Thread starter Guna82m
  • Start date
In summary: I don't think I would have either if I had gone into it knowing what I know now. Geology is about studying the rocks and the earth's lithosphere. Geophysics is the study of the earth's interior and its mantle. I think what you're asking is too difficult and too specialized for someone who doesn't have a degree in it. There's definitely a difference between the magnetic anomalies in the north pole and south pole, but I'm not sure why they're mirror images. Good luck with your studies!In summary, Guna82m found that geophysics is a field of physics which is very important. Its beyond our imagination. He believes that this kind of knowledge is more explorable than quantum physics. There are
Guna82m
Hi Guys,

I found that, we don't have a forum coloum for geophysic. Not many know about geophysics because its not as famous as quantum physics or etc. Geophysics is PHYSIC'S OF EARTH. I'm a nuclear physicst by education, but now I'm a Geophysicst for an top Oil and Gas company. I found that geophysics isa field of physics which is very important. Its beyond our imagination. I believe that this kind of knowledge is more explorable than quantum physics. There are more unknown in geophysics than quantum physic. SO, people...pls contact me if anyone interested in talking about Geo-Physics.

Senyarito!

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Greetigns and welcome, Guna82m! I think there's a question already waiting for someone of your expertise rigth here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=178834

How much does the Earth's internal temperature fluctuate? Is there a cycle like the Sun's 11-yr cycle? Lots of variables to consider in that thread.

I simply love this geophyics stuff. I simply can not tell you how much I love this. I read my physics and Earth and Space book everyday at night. But the thing is that I am not smart enough to take physics.

Dear Raza! Its easy to do well in physics, but its hard to love physics...
So be proud..you are gifted in such way to love physics.. The love will guide you... BE proud man

question about magnetic anomalies

Hey!
I hope you can help me with this...
I'm studying geology and now I'm taking geophysics and for an assignment I have to anser what is the difference between the anomalies observed in the North Polo and in the South Pole. I work with a pc program called PDYKE ( you can download it for free) and it turns that there's no difference between them. Do you know why?
The other question I have is why anomalies at mid lattitudes, for the northern hemisfere and southern hemisfere, are mirror images?
thanks for your help!:smile:

Noys

Yeah I studied Geology for a year and one half of a fulltime load. Not much mention of geophysics or mathematics. I got as far as crystalography and our teacher said he hated what geophysics was all about.

1. What is geophysics?

Geophysics is a branch of science that deals with the physical properties and processes of the Earth and other planetary bodies. It combines elements of physics, geology, and mathematics to study the structure, composition, and dynamics of the Earth's interior and its interactions with the atmosphere, hydrosphere, and biosphere.

2. How does geophysics help us understand Earth's history?

Geophysicists use various techniques such as seismic imaging, gravity and magnetic surveys, and paleomagnetism to study the Earth's past. These methods allow us to reconstruct the Earth's history, including the formation of continents, the movement of tectonic plates, and the evolution of the Earth's magnetic field.

3. What are some real-world applications of geophysics?

Geophysics has many practical applications, such as finding and extracting natural resources like oil and gas, assessing the stability of buildings and structures, and monitoring environmental hazards like earthquakes and volcanic eruptions. It is also used in archaeology to locate and map buried structures and artifacts.

4. How does geophysics contribute to our understanding of climate change?

Geophysical techniques, such as remote sensing and satellite imaging, are used to monitor changes in the Earth's climate, such as the melting of polar ice caps and the rise in sea levels. Geophysicists also study the Earth's past climate through methods like analyzing ice cores and sediment cores to better understand current and future climate patterns.

5. What advancements have been made in geophysics in recent years?

In recent years, geophysicists have made significant advancements in technology, allowing for more precise and detailed imaging of the Earth's subsurface. This includes the development of 3D and 4D seismic imaging, which has greatly improved our ability to locate and extract oil and gas. Geophysicists have also made strides in understanding and predicting natural hazards, such as earthquakes and volcanic eruptions, through the use of advanced monitoring techniques and computer modeling.