Vector Field Describing Fluid Flow in a Torus

In summary: Update on my progress:The direction of the vector at the point (x,y,z) in the torus is given byF(x,y,z)=-(y-x)+[(x-y)cosθ+zcosθ]
altcmdesc

Homework Statement

Write a vector field equation which describes fluid flowing around a pipe of radius r whose axis is a circle of radius R in the (x,y)-plane.

Homework Equations

x2+y2=r2
Equation of a torus?

The Attempt at a Solution

What I've gathered from the question: the pipe is in the shape of a torus of radius r and the circle of radius R runs through the center of the inside of the pipe.

I know that two things describe this flow:

1. The magnitude of the flow decreases the farther away from the axis line on the inside of the torus that the point (x,y,z) is.
2. The flow goes either clockwise or counterclockwise around the origin in the (x,y)-plane. So the vector field equation for that piece is F(x,y)=<y,x> or F(x,y)=<y,-x>

Otherwise, I have no idea where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
altcmdesc said:

Homework Statement

Write a vector field equation which describes fluid flowing around a pipe of radius r whose axis is a circle of radius R in the (x,y)-plane.

Homework Equations

x2+y2=r2
Equation of a torus?
No, that's not the equation of a torus. That's the equation of a circle in the xy-plane or of a cylinder in three dimensions. Assume that the z-axis runs through the center of the torus. We can get a particular cross section of the pipe by drawing a plane containing the z-axis that cuts the torus at angle [itex]\theta[/itex]. The center of the torus will be [itex](R cos(\theta), R sin(\theta), 0)[/itex]. From that point, let [itex]\phi[/itex] be that angle made with the xy-plane. The point will be an additional [itex](r cos(\phi)cos(\theta), r sin(\phi)cos(\theta), r sin(\phi))[/itex]. That means that a point on the torus is given by [itex]x= R cos(\theta)+ r cos(\phi) cos(\theta)[/itex], [itex]y= Rsin(\theta)+ r sin(\theta)cos(\phi)[/itex], [itex]z= r cos(\phi)[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

What I've gathered from the question: the pipe is in the shape of a torus of radius r and the circle of radius R runs through the center of the inside of the pipe.

I know that two things describe this flow:

1. The magnitude of the flow decreases the farther away from the axis line on the inside of the torus that the point (x,y,z) is.
2. The flow goes either clockwise or counterclockwise around the origin in the (x,y)-plane. So the vector field equation for that piece is F(x,y)=<y,x> or F(x,y)=<y,-x>

Otherwise, I have no idea where to start.

I know x2+y2=r2 is the equation of the circle that acts as the axis of the pipe (torus). I wrote "Equation of a torus?" below it because I figured it would be of use, but since I didn't know what it was, I wrote that.

Update on my progress:

The distance from any point (x,y,z) contained within the torus to its axis (x2+y2=1) is given by nr, where n and r (the radius of the pipe itself) are any number between 0 and 1, inclusive (the upper restriction on r accounts for the fact that the pipe cannot intersect itself in the center). Using this, along with the parameterization of the torus, the position vector of any point in the torus with the unit circle in the (x,y)-plane as its axis is:

r=[cosϴ+nrcosΦcosϴ]i+[sinϴ+nrcosΦsinϴ]j+nrsinΦk

I've placed this equation into Cartesian coordinates as well: [(x2+y2)1/2-1]2+z2=(nr)2

The magnitude of the vector in the field at the point (x,y,z) in the torus is then r2-(nr)2 = r2-[(x2+y2)1/2-1]2-z2 (after distributing the - through).

Now, I have no clue what this vector's direction is.

Nevermind, I figured it out.

FAQ: Vector Field Describing Fluid Flow in a Torus

1. What is a vector field describing fluid flow in a torus?

A vector field describes the magnitude and direction of a vector quantity at every point in space. In the case of a fluid flow in a torus, the vector field describes the velocity and direction of the fluid at every point within the torus.

2. How is a vector field describing fluid flow in a torus represented?

A vector field in a torus can be represented graphically using arrows, where the length and orientation of the arrow represent the magnitude and direction of the fluid velocity at a given point in the torus.

3. What does the divergence and curl of a vector field in a torus represent?

The divergence of a vector field in a torus represents the rate of fluid flow out of a given point in the torus, while the curl represents the tendency of the fluid to rotate around a point in the torus.

4. How is a vector field describing fluid flow in a torus useful in scientific research?

A vector field in a torus can be used to model and understand fluid dynamics in various applications, such as in the study of weather patterns, ocean currents, and airflow around objects.

5. What are some real-world examples of vector fields describing fluid flow in a torus?

Examples of vector fields in a torus include the flow of blood in a toroidal vein, the flow of air around a donut-shaped aircraft, and the flow of water in a swimming pool with a circular cross-section.