Vector fields question; not sure how to approach?

In summary: Also, you do not need to graph anything to show that the flow is contained. It is sufficient to verify that the boundary of the region is a level curve of the flow function.
Elmer Correa

Homework Statement

The stream function Ψ(x,y) = Asin(πnx)*sin(πmy) where m and n are consitive integers and A is a constant, describes circular flow in the region R = {(x,y): 0≤x≤1, 0≤y≤1 }. Graph several streamlines with A=10 and m=n=1 and describe the flow. Explain why the flow is confined to the region R.

Homework Equations

The y partial derivative of the stream function equals the x-component of the vector field
The x partial derivative of the stream function equals the y-component of the vector field
I'm assuming the vector field is source-free

The Attempt at a Solution

The streamlines should take the equation C=10sin(πx)sin(πy) where C is some constant. I have no idea how to graph this and every online grapher that I've used has been unable to graph it. I imagine I need to have some idea of how to do this before I can determine why the flow is confined to the region R

Physics news on Phys.org
Elmer Correa said:

Homework Statement

The stream function Ψ(x,y) = Asin(πnx)*sin(πmy) where m and n are consitive integers and A is a constant, describes circular flow in the region R = {(x,y): 0≤x≤1, 0≤y≤1 }. Graph several streamlines with A=10 and m=n=1 and describe the flow. Explain why the flow is confined to the region R.

Homework Equations

The y partial derivative of the stream function equals the x-component of the vector field
The x partial derivative of the stream function equals the y-component of the vector field
I'm assuming the vector field is source-free

The Attempt at a Solution

The streamlines should take the equation C=10sin(πx)sin(πy) where C is some constant. I have no idea how to graph this and every online grapher that I've used has been unable to graph it. I imagine I need to have some idea of how to do this before I can determine why the flow is confined to the region R

What are "consitive integers"?

Elmer Correa said:
I have no idea how to graph this and every online grapher that I've used has been unable to graph it.
If you have access to it, I would recommend MATLAB for doing this. It has a specialized function for plotting streamlines. See the description here https://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/ref/streamline.html

Ray Vickson said:
What are "consitive integers"?
Positive

Elmer Correa said:
I don't need to graph a vector field, just level curves in 2D
Elmer Correa said:
The streamlines should take the equation C=10sin(πx)sin(πy) where C is some constant.
You can use desmos if you just set C to some numbers like 0, 1, 2, etc. and graph the set of equations with different C's simultaneously.

NFuller said:
You can use desmos if you just set C to some numbers like 0, 1, 2, etc. and graph the set of equations with different C's simultaneously.
I've tried, the formula is too complicated to graph

Elmer Correa said:
If you have access to Maple the task is easy. I plotted over the region ##0 \leq x,y \leq 1.2##, just to see what happens if you go outside the region ##R## that you specified. It seems that the streamlines do not "cross" the boundary of ##R##, but rather, you get a whole new set of orbits for a whole new flow regime. I guess the question is asking you to explain this behavior theoretically.

I assume Mathematica has similar capabilities, but I do not have access to it so cannot say for sure.

>P:=10*sin(Pi*x)*sin(Pi*y);
P := 10 sin(Pi x) sin(Pi y)

> with(plots):
> contourplot(P,x=0..1.2,y=0..1.2,contours=20);

upload_2017-11-30_23-54-19.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-30_23-54-19.png
    upload_2017-11-30_23-54-19.png
    8.2 KB · Views: 366
Any of the set Mathematica, Matlab, Maple, or many others should do fine to be honest.

Also, you do not need to graph anything to show that the flow is contained. It is sufficient to verify that the boundary of the region is a level curve of the flow function.

Elmer Correa said:
How? I literally just typed in the formula and it worked fine.
upload_2017-12-1_11-46-27.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-1_11-46-27.png
    upload_2017-12-1_11-46-27.png
    74.7 KB · Views: 371

1. What is a vector field?

A vector field is a mathematical concept used in physics and engineering to describe a vector quantity that varies in space. It assigns a vector (magnitude and direction) to every point in a given space.

2. How are vector fields used?

Vector fields are used to visualize and analyze the behavior of vector quantities, such as force, velocity, and electric fields. They are also used in the study of fluid flow, electromagnetism, and other physical phenomena.

3. Can you give an example of a real-world application of vector fields?

One example is the use of vector fields in weather forecasting. Meteorologists use vector fields to represent wind patterns and air pressure to predict the movement of storms and other weather events.

4. How do you determine the direction of a vector field?

The direction of a vector field is determined by the orientation of the vectors at each point. The direction of the vector is the same as the direction of the arrow representing the vector.

5. How can vector fields be calculated and represented mathematically?

Vector fields can be calculated and represented using vector calculus, which involves taking derivatives and integrals of vector-valued functions. They can also be represented graphically using vectors or by plotting vector field lines.