Fibonacci Sequence - Induction.

So (11/7)(4/7)(7/4)= (11/7)(4/7)(7/4)^k< (7/4)^k. Therefore (7/4)^{k-1}+ (7/4)^k< (7/4)^k+ (7/4)^k= 2(7/4)^k. That is, (7/4)^{k-1}+ (7/4)^k< 2(7/4)^k. And 2< (7/4). So (7/4)^{k-1}+ (7/4)^k< (7/4)^k+ (7
glover_m
Prove Fn ≤ (7/4)n for all n, 0≤n

Fn = Fn-1 + Fn-2

Let P(n) be true for some n = k, for 0≤k

Let n = k+1

Fk+1 ≤ (7/4)k+1

LHS: Fk+1 = Fk + Fk-1 ≤ Fk-1 + (7/4)k ≤ (7/4)k-1 + (7/4)k

This last line is where I'm stuck, I feel like either I messed up early on, or I'm missing a way of simplifying this to look like (7/4)k+1

Physics news on Phys.org
glover_m said:
Prove Fn ≤ (7/4)n for all n, 0≤n

Fn = Fn-1 + Fn-2

Let P(n) be true for some n = k, for 0≤k

Let n = k+1

Fk+1 ≤ (7/4)k+1

LHS: Fk+1 = Fk + Fk-1 ≤ Fk-1 + (7/4)k ≤ (7/4)k-1 + (7/4)k

This last line is where I'm stuck, I feel like either I messed up early on, or I'm missing a way of simplifying this to look like (7/4)k+1
Well, [itex](7/4)^{k-1}= (4/7)(7/4)^k[/itex] so [itex](7/4)^{k-1}+ (7/4)^k= (4/7+ 1)(7/4)^k[/itex]. And 4/7+ 1= 11/7= (11/7)(4/7)(7/4)= (44/49)(7/4) and 44/49< 1.

1. What is the Fibonacci Sequence?

The Fibonacci Sequence is a mathematical sequence of numbers where each number is the sum of the two preceding numbers. It starts with 0 and 1, and the next number is always the sum of the previous two numbers. The sequence continues infinitely, with the pattern of 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, etc.

2. Who discovered the Fibonacci Sequence?

The Fibonacci Sequence was named after Leonardo Fibonacci, an Italian mathematician who introduced the sequence to the Western world in his book "Liber Abaci" in 1202. However, the sequence was known to Indian mathematicians centuries before Fibonacci's time.

3. What is the application of the Fibonacci Sequence?

The Fibonacci Sequence has various applications in mathematics and science. It can be found in nature, such as the arrangement of leaves on a stem, the branching of trees, and the spiral shape of snail shells. It is also used in computer algorithms, financial markets, and art and design.

4. How does induction relate to the Fibonacci Sequence?

Induction is a mathematical proof technique used to prove that a statement is true for all natural numbers. The Fibonacci Sequence can be proven using induction by showing that the statement is true for the first two numbers (0 and 1) and then showing that if it is true for any two consecutive numbers, it is also true for the next number in the sequence.

5. Are there any other similar sequences to the Fibonacci Sequence?

Yes, there are many other similar sequences to the Fibonacci Sequence, such as the Lucas Sequence, the Pell Sequence, and the Tribonacci Sequence. These sequences also follow a specific pattern, but with different starting numbers and rules for generating the next numbers in the sequence.