Understanding Differential Inputs in Microelectronics by Sedra-Smith

In summary, the differential input is used to amplify signals of different frequencies and the differential output is used to split the power between two devices.
eliotsbowe
Hello, I'm studying the MOS/BJT differential pair on Microelectronics by Sedra-Smith.
The book refers to voltage signals with the following notations:

gif.latex?V_{AB}.gif
= DC voltage
gif.latex?v_{ab}.gif
= AC voltage
gif.latex?v_{AB}.gif
= generic time-varying voltage

When it comes to differential pairs, it uses a quite confusing notation for differential inputs: they are always called
gif.latex?v_{id}.gif
, like they could be only AC signals, but I'm not positive on this restriction.

I happened to find some exercises on the MOS differential pair based on Sedra-Smith's figures (http://www.ece.utah.edu/~ccharles/ece3110/Homework/Assignment3.pdf) and they seem to confirm that
gif.latex?v_{id}.gif
may be both a DC and an AC signal. Is this definitely correct?

If it is, I have a second question: what would be the point of applying a DC differential input to a differential pair? I mean, is there any application in the real life in which a DC voltage needs to be amplified?Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
There is no universal nomenclature. Depends on which datasheet or book.

Many (if not most) high speed differential technologies need their receivers to be biased to a specific DC voltage in order to function correctly. This can be accomplished by using a driver that conforms (such as with ECL), or by AC coupling and incorporating biasing into receiver (self biasing).

Last edited:
eliotsbowe said:
If it is, I have a second question: what would be the point of applying a DC differential input to a differential pair? I mean, is there any application in the real life in which a DC voltage needs to be amplified?
You might position multiple thermocouples (each with its own buffer) around a heatsink, and the temperature difference between locations can be gauged by measuring the voltage difference between any pair of thermocouples. So use a differential amp for this.

The term DC is often used to simply mean "of much lower frequency than the principal time-varying signals", and means the differential amplifier inputs are directly coupled and can operate right down to DC (so the diff amp design can't use capacitor coupling).

If it is, I have a second question: what would be the point of applying a DC differential input to a differential pair? I mean, is there any application in the real life in which a DC voltage needs to be amplified?

The differential input pair or longtail pair is one of the most used configurations at all frequencies, including zero or DC.

This is partly because it is easy to build in compensations for disturbing influences like temperature and because you can stably and controllably achieve substantial voltage gain.

The configuration can not only offer differential input put also single ended input, and differential oputput so can be used in four modes.

Single ended input single ended output
Differential input single ended output
Single ended input differential output
Differential input differential output

Use of the differential input increases common mode rejection (noise etc).

Use of the differential output allows driving of such devices as the opposing plates of electrostatic deflection systems eg in cathode ray tubes.

The differential output also allows phase splitting operations such as driving push-pull amplifiers.

All forms of amplifying devices can be used in this mode, valves (tubes), transistors, FETs, even op amps.

go well

I think the answers made my ideas clear, many thanks to everybody :smile:

1. What is the significance of differential inputs in microelectronics?

Differential inputs are essential in microelectronics because they allow for the amplification and filtering of small signals while rejecting common-mode noise. This is important for accurate and reliable signal processing in various electronic devices.

2. How do differential inputs work?

Differential inputs work by amplifying the voltage difference between two input signals while rejecting any common-mode voltage that is present on both signals. This is achieved through the use of differential amplifier circuits.

3. What is the difference between single-ended and differential inputs?

Single-ended inputs use only one signal as the input to a circuit, while differential inputs use two signals that are mirror images of each other. Single-ended inputs are more susceptible to noise and have a lower signal to noise ratio compared to differential inputs.

4. How do I design a differential input circuit?

Designing a differential input circuit involves selecting appropriate components such as resistors, capacitors, and transistors, and configuring them in a way that amplifies the difference between the two input signals while rejecting common-mode noise. It is important to consider factors such as gain, bandwidth, and noise when designing a differential input circuit.

5. What are some common applications of differential inputs in microelectronics?

Differential inputs are commonly used in audio amplifiers, instrumentation amplifiers, and data communication systems. They are also used in medical equipment, automotive electronics, and industrial control systems, among others.