Register to reply

Word/notation for "swallowing constant"?

by HJ Farnsworth
Tags: swallowing constant, word or notation
Share this thread:
HJ Farnsworth
May25-14, 05:50 PM
P: 120

I used to sit in on an astrophysics course, where during derivations the professor would often absorb all of the constants in a given expression into a single ever-changing constant at the front of the expression. E.g., for a trivial example, let [itex]X[/itex] be [itex]3[/itex] times the circumference of a circle of radius [itex]r[/itex] times the perimeter of a square of side length [itex]l[/itex], with [itex]k[/itex] the constant in front:


The constant [itex]3[/itex], the [itex]2\pi[/itex] from [itex]C(r)[/itex], and the [itex]4[/itex] from [itex]P(l)[/itex] are all absorbed into [itex]k[/itex].

Is there a common name for this kind of device, which in the title of this thread I just called a "swallowing constant"? Also, is there a common notation for it?

Thanks for any help that you can give.

-HJ Farnsworth
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Fair cake cutting gets its own algorithm
Effort to model Facebook yields key to famous math problem (and a prize)
May25-14, 06:29 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 39,363
I would use the phrase you did: "absorbed into k". There is no special name for the constant into which other constants because there is nothing special about it.

Register to reply

Related Discussions
Verline's paper "On the origin of gravity and the laws of Newton" Beyond the Standard Model 13
"Special" and "General" relativity- Who invented those terms? Special & General Relativity 2