Electric Field Produced by a Finite Charged Wire

In summary, we can use the constant k=1/4πϵ0 and the variables L, λ, and d to find the magnitude E of the electric field at point P, a distance d above the midpoint of a charged wire with length 2L units and linear charge density λ. By considering the y-component of the electric field, we can set up an integral with limits -L and L, which simplifies to E = kλ(2L/d√(L^2+d^2)). This can be further simplified to E = 2kλL/d√(L^2+d^2).
fishturtle1

Homework Statement

A charged wire of negligible thickness has length 2L units and has a linear charge density λ. Consider the electric field E⃗ at the point P, a distance d above the midpoint of the wire.

What is the magnitude E of the electric field at point P? Throughout this part, express your answers in terms of the constant k, defined by k=1/4πϵ0. Express your answer in terms of L, λ, d, and k.

15538_a.jpg

Homework Equations

E = k(q/r2)

##\int \frac {dx} {\sqrt {x^2 + d^2}} = \frac {x} {d^2 \sqrt {x^2 + d^2}}##

The Attempt at a Solution

##E = E_x + E_y##

##E_x = 0## by symmetry.

##dE_y = dEcos(cos^{-1}(\frac {x} {\sqrt {x^2 + d^2}}) = dE \frac {x} {\sqrt {x^2 + d^2}}##

so to find dE:

##E = k \frac {q} {r^2} ##

##dE = k \frac {dq} {\sqrt {x^2 + d^2}^2} ## , ##dq = \lambda dx##

##dE = k \frac {\lambda dx} {\sqrt {x^2 + d^2}^2}##

then substitute this in the dE_y equation:

##dE_y = k \frac {\lambda dx} {x^2 + d^2} \frac {d} {\sqrt {x^2 + d^2}}##

## E_y = k\lambda d \int \frac {dx} {(x^2 + d^2) ^ {3/2}} ##

then I used an integral table to for the integral:

##E_y = k\lambda d \frac {x} {d^2 \sqrt{x^2 + d^2}} ##

I'm not sure what to do with the x's since the answer is supposed to be in terms of L, λ, d, and k.

##\int dq = \int \frac {\lambda} {dx} ##

##q = \lambda x##

##x = q / \lambda## , ##\lambda = q/2L##

##x = q (q / 2L) = 2L##

So ##E = E_y = \frac {k\lambda 2L} {d \sqrt{4L^2 + d^2}} ##
This is not right

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are taking the wrong angle here.Try to look it again.Also I reccomend you to pick a point charge and we know the relationship that ##λ=dq/dx## from there as you proceed Theres only y component of the E-Field.Then after writing the integral turn it to in terms of dx and think about the boundries of your integral.In this way you should be able to do this very easily.

Arman777 said:
I think you are taking the wrong angle here.Try to look it again.Also I reccomend you to pick a point charge and we know the relationship that ##λ=dq/dx## from there as you proceed Theres only y component of the E-Field.Then after writing the integral turn it to in terms of dx and think about the boundries of your integral.In this way you should be able to do this very easily.

it worked, I did the same integral but put limits -L and L like this:

##\int_{-L}^L \, \frac{dx} {(x^2 + d^2)^{3/2}} ##

## = [\frac {L} {d^2 \sqrt{(L^2 + d^2)}} - \frac {-L} {d^2 \sqrt{((-L)^2 + d^2)}}]##

## = \frac {2L} {d^2 \sqrt{(L^2 + d^2)}} ##

final answer: ##E = k\lambda d ( \frac {2L} {d^2 \sqrt{(L^2 + d^2)}}) ##

= ## k\lambda \frac {2L} {d \sqrt{(L^2 + d^2)}}##

Thank you

fishturtle1 said:
it worked, I did the same integral but put limits -L and L like this:

##\int_{-L}^L \, \frac{dx} {(x^2 + d^2)^{3/2}} ##

## = [\frac {L} {d^2 \sqrt{(L^2 + d^2)}} - \frac {-L} {d^2 \sqrt{((-L)^2 + d^2)}}]##

## = \frac {2L} {d^2 \sqrt{(L^2 + d^2)}} ##

final answer: ##E = k\lambda d ( \frac {2L} {d^2 \sqrt{(L^2 + d^2)}}) ##

= ## k\lambda \frac {2L} {d \sqrt{(L^2 + d^2)}}##

Thank you
Your welcome :)

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that surrounds an electrically charged object or particle. It is a vector field, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and is responsible for the force that electrically charged objects exert on each other.

How is the electric field produced by a finite charged wire?

The electric field produced by a finite charged wire is created by the presence of electric charges on the surface of the wire. These charges create an electric field that extends outwards from the wire and decreases in strength as the distance from the wire increases.

What factors affect the strength of the electric field produced by a finite charged wire?

The strength of the electric field produced by a finite charged wire is affected by the amount of charge on the wire, the distance from the wire, and the geometry of the wire. The electric field is stronger when the charge is higher, the distance is smaller, and the wire has a smaller radius.

How can the direction of the electric field be determined?

The direction of the electric field produced by a finite charged wire can be determined by using the right hand rule. If the thumb points in the direction of the current flow, the fingers will curl in the direction of the electric field.

What is the mathematical equation for calculating the electric field produced by a finite charged wire?

The mathematical equation for calculating the electric field produced by a finite charged wire is E = kQ / r, where E is the electric field strength, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge on the wire, and r is the distance from the wire.