MOTW - Understand the Concept and Benefits

• Thread starter En_lizard
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a proposed idea of having a Member of the Week (MOTW) on the forum. The first MOTW would be chosen by mentors or others, who would then choose the next MOTW. This idea is not meant as a reward or recognition, but as a way to have fun and get to know someone's opinions and ideas better. Some participants are unsure if this is meant as an honor or a punishment, while others see it as a version of Truth or Dare. The conversation also touches on the disappearance and reappearance of emoticons on the forum and the idea of talk shows and celebrity opinions versus those of someone who works in science. Overall, there is disagreement about the proposed

do you want to have motw?

• Total voters
En_lizard
why don't we have motw? someone who is chosen by mentors and others ask any sort of question from scientific to personal matters from him/her? and then after 1 or 2 weeks that person choose someone else instead of himself and that continues... the first motw might be chosen by mentors and he/she can refuse answering any question if he doesn't want to. what do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you provide a pointer to a forum thread somewhere else where this is done? So we can see what you are referring to.

I had never heard of this so I googled it. I think it stands for Member of the Week.

I've never heard of that either. While I wouldn't be the one to disallow it, I probably also wouldn't bother to participate.

oops...i forgot to say motw stands for what! that's something intersting to do. we can ask some funny/challanging questions and get intersting responses.hey guys u don't want to say there's just no one here whom you want to know more about? here is an example of it:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76209

Yes, and instead of asking them questions, we throw them into an active volcano. But other that that, it's basically the same idea.

En_lizard said:
someone who is chosen by mentors and others ask any sort of question from scientific to personal matters from him/her?

Is that supposed to be an honor, or a punishment? I'm trying to figure out if I'd want to nominate someone I actually liked to have to put up with a week or two of personal questions from anyone and everyone on the forum! :bugeye:

Moonbear said:
Is that supposed to be an honor, or a punishment? I'm trying to figure out if I'd want to nominate someone I actually liked to have to put up with a week or two of personal questions from anyone and everyone on the forum! :bugeye:
Sounds more like Truth or Dare. Actually, more like Truth or Truth.

Okay, here's a question to anybody...the one who answers will be my MOTW for tomorrow: Why am I not able to see the emoticons to the side of the post window? I've been noticing this for the past few hours.

They've been crammed into a pulldown menu from what I can tell. I thought they had been kidnapped. :cry:

Math Is Hard said:
They've been crammed into a pulldown menu from what I can tell. I thought they had been kidnapped. :cry:

Yay! They're back...:smile:

MIH MY MOTW. :!)

neutrino said:

Oh, dear god.. what have I done?!? :eek:

You'll be my Member of the Week just for tomorrow. :tongue:

neutrino said:
Yay! They're back...:smile:

Math Is Hard said:
Oh, dear god.. what have I done?!? :eek:

neutrino said:
You'll be my Member of the Week just for tomorrow. :tongue:

Wow, good thing you have short weeks. :rofl:
Hey, you're right, the smilies hid! :grumpy:

Greg Bernhardt said:
We have member of the year in several categories :)
:bugeye:
thats different! i said the first motw is chosen by mentors or perhaps others. then that person chooses the next one. its not a reward or reqognization for someones attempts. its just something for fun and getting to know someone('s oppinions and ideas) better.
im quite shocked to see that just no one here agree with that. why new ideas are not welcome here at all? this one is quite harmless and isn't like crackpottery.
i thought you people welcome and value new ideas more than that. I am sorry but i have to say its not surprising if other undeveloped countries take the world over during the next few years since they value innovation and new ideas more.:smile:

as a side note i want to know why people like sitting in front of tv screens watching silly talk shows where some stupid celbs echo his stupid ideas on different matters . matters that they usually they don't have any damn clue what the heck theyre talking about but now they are not even curious to know what a person who works in sciense think of different subjects and how is his view towrds life and world in general. ok perhaps you are not one of those of majority who likes talk shows. so why i make a generalization here where i don't know long enough?

En_lizard said:
:bugeye:
thats different! i said the first motw is chosen by mentors or perhaps others. then that person chooses the next one. its not a reward or reqognization for someones attempts. its just something for fun and getting to know someone('s oppinions and ideas) better.
im quite shocked to see that just no one here agree with that. why new ideas are not welcome here at all? this one is quite harmless and isn't like crackpottery.
i thought you people welcome and value new ideas more than that. I am sorry but i have to say its not surprising if other undeveloped countries take the world over during the next few years since they value innovation and new ideas more.:smile:

En_lizard said:
as a side note i want to know why people like sitting in front of tv screens watching silly talk shows where some stupid celbs echo his stupid ideas on different matters . matters that they usually they don't have any damn clue what the heck theyre talking about but now they are not even curious to know what a person who works in sciense think of different subjects and how is his view towrds life and world in general. ok perhaps you are not one of those of majority who likes talk shows. so why i make a generalization here where i don't know long enough?

Wow! You are able to make the connection between "no one likes my idea" to "other undeveloped countries can take over the world"?

Amazing!

Have you ever considered the possibility that maybe, it isn't such a good idea within the context of this forum, rather than us opposing new creative ideas in general?

Zz.

Last edited:
ZapperZ said:
Wow! You are able to make the connection between "no one likes my idea" to "other undeveloped countries can take over the world"?

Amazing!

Have you ever considered the possibility that maybe, it isn't such a good idea within the context of this forum, rather than us opposing new creative ideas in general?

Zz.

actually its not my idea! I am able to see the connection that already exists . if you just don't want to welcome any new idea or at least give it a chance to think about it more then say stuff like "i don't care or that doesn't sound like a good idea", not only you don't get ahead in your personal life but you also might lose your current position. I am sorry but it seems to me that people here mostly like to think of new suggestion either as crackpottery theories or jokes. they usually don't bother reconsidering things.
as for the second part of your past, now that says something. when you want to reject a new idea, you must have good reasons. only coming here saying we don't need that such a idea doesn't sound a sientific approach, you should state why you are not in agree with that and why it doesn't sound like a good ideas.
sometimes i think people don't take me seriously since i can't post here regularly and i am not familiar with people here.

I think you and your idea were taken seriously. I am part of other communities who do monthly member recognitions, so that idea is not alien to me. However, I think our community as a whole is happy and content with yearly awards.

What is MOTW?

MOTW stands for "Meeting of the Waters" and is a concept used to describe the mixing of different bodies of water, such as rivers or oceans. It can also refer to the meeting of different ideas, cultures, or people.

What are the benefits of understanding the concept of MOTW?

Understanding the concept of MOTW can help us better understand the natural world and how different bodies of water interact. It can also help us understand the importance of diversity and the benefits of coming together to share ideas and experiences.

How can the concept of MOTW be applied in different areas?

The concept of MOTW can be applied in a variety of fields, such as environmental science, cultural studies, and social sciences. It can also be used in everyday life to promote understanding and collaboration between different groups of people.

What are some real-world examples of MOTW?

One example of MOTW is the confluence of the Rio Negro and Solimões rivers in Brazil, where the two distinct bodies of water meet and flow together for over 6 kilometers without mixing. Another example is the blending of different cuisines in multicultural cities, creating unique and diverse dishes.

Why is it important to study MOTW?

Studying MOTW can help us gain a deeper understanding of the complex and interconnected systems in nature and society. It can also help us appreciate the diversity and richness of our world and the benefits of coming together to share and learn from each other.