Has this Twitter account been hacked?

• Thread starter Wrichik Basu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Twitter
In summary, the account @jlykken has been hijacked and there is a new Twitter handle @jlykken2 being used by the same person. The account has been suspended. Two factor authentication is essential nowadays, especially for well-known figures.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I don't post a lot on Twitter, but I do follow numerous people, mostly physicists in my field of interest, so that I can stay up to date on the latest research in the field. The account I am referring to is one such account. I don't know the user personally, but they are an established physicist at Fermilab, and a number of other eminent physicists and organizations follow him, including Short Baseline Near Detector, CLIC, STFC Particle Physics, MicroBoone and even PF. (Hence, tagging @Greg Bernhardt if he can throw some light.)

I know threads in General Discussion are not crawled by search engines, but even then, I am not posting the link to the account in question. Just go to Twitter and search for this: <at> j l y k k e n Do remove the space and replace the symbol as usual.

This person contacted me via private message a day back asking "Hello Man, how are you doing today?" I responded, stating that I am fine, and hope they are doing well too! The next question was, "How is your week going?" A bit informal question to ask a stranger, but I responded with "The usual routine." Next question: "How was work?" At this point, I thought they must have confused me for someone else, as my profile clearly states that I am a student. So, I wrote along the lines of "I am a student and do not work. Studies + work cannot be really done in my country etc."

Now they asked, "What about investments?" I stopped replying.

There is definitely something wrong here. Why would an established physicist from Fermilab, without any context, ask me about my investments? This is undoubtedly something no one is eager to share with anyone else.

Is their account hacked? Apparently, they posted last in December 2022.

Not saying that I will be sharing anything if the account is not hacked, but still curious why someone would ask such a question. Is this type of question in a first-time conversation common in Europe/USA?

Physics news on Phys.org
Wrichik Basu said:
Is this type of question in a first-time conversation common in Europe/USA?
Absolutely not, asking about your investments.

• Wow
Likes Klystron, kyphysics and Wrichik Basu
Sent an email anyway.

Likes BillTre and malawi_glenn
Wrichik Basu said:
That's what I thought initially, but if the account is not hacked and he himself did it, I don't know how he would take the email.
No reliable correspondent would be asking you about investments just out of the blue. It's an intro to a scam.

Likes pinball1970, BillTre and Wrichik Basu
Yes, the account `@jlykken` has been hijacked. There is a new Twitter handle `@jlykken2` from the same person that verified the hijack!

• Love
Likes PhDeezNutz and Wrichik Basu
And Twitter seems to have suspended the hijacked account.

Yes, it is really sad to see that some people are trying to scam people in the guise of a well-known Physicist. He too is also a serious victim here. We have to keep in mind that He is 65 and has an illustrious career.

Likes PhDeezNutz
Archiemedes said:
Yes, it is really sad to see that some people are trying to scam people in the guise of a well-known Physicist. He too is also a serious victim here. We have to keep in mind that He is 65 and has an illustrious career.
2FA is very essential nowadays, especially if you are a famous figure.

Wrichik Basu said:
2FA is very essential nowadays, especially if you are a famous figure.
2FA ???

phinds said:
2FA ???
berkeman said:
I'm guessing Two Factor Authentication, like after you enter your password, a code is sent to your cell phone for you to type in to finish your login...
Yeah, 2-factor authentication. Either via text message or from an authenticator app.

Likes BillTre

1. How can I tell if a Twitter account has been hacked?

There are a few signs that can indicate a hacked Twitter account. These include unusual activity such as tweets or direct messages being sent without the account owner's knowledge, changes to the account's profile or settings, and suspicious login attempts. If you notice any of these signs, it is likely that the account has been hacked.

2. Can a hacked Twitter account be recovered?

Yes, it is possible to recover a hacked Twitter account. The first step is to reset the account's password using the "Forgot password?" option. If the hacker has changed the email associated with the account, you can still recover it by submitting a support request to Twitter. It is important to act quickly and follow all of Twitter's instructions to increase the chances of recovering the account.

3. How can I prevent my Twitter account from being hacked?

To prevent your Twitter account from being hacked, it is important to use a strong and unique password, enable two-factor authentication, and be cautious of suspicious links or messages. It is also recommended to regularly review your account's activity and revoke access to any third-party applications that you no longer use.

4. What should I do if I suspect my Twitter account has been hacked?

If you suspect that your Twitter account has been hacked, the first step is to change your password immediately. You should also check your account's activity and revoke access to any third-party applications that you do not recognize. It is also recommended to report the hack to Twitter and follow their instructions for recovering the account.

5. Can a hacked Twitter account harm my personal information?

If your Twitter account has been hacked, it is possible that the hacker may have access to personal information such as your email address, phone number, and direct messages. It is important to act quickly and change your password to prevent any further access to your account. You should also review your account's activity and revoke access to any third-party applications that may have access to your personal information.