How to Calculate Motorcycle Girder Suspension Trajectory?

In summary, the conversation is about designing a motorcycle with a girder style front suspension using unequal length links. The speaker had to temporarily give up their engineering degree but is now trying to create a spreadsheet program to map the trajectory of the suspension. They hit a roadblock but eventually figured it out and now have a working program.
fslflint
hello all

I am in the midst of designing a motorcycle that I will be building. one of the things I would like to do is use a girder style front suspension with unequal length links. I am attempting to design it to have minimal variance in rake and trail, with trail being my chief concern.

a couple years ago I had to temporarily give up my pursuit of an engineering degree because of financial matters. I am learning first hand how much information is lost when you don't use it.

I sat down to try and write a simple spreadsheet program that would map the trajectory of the motorcycle suspension while still allowing me to manipulate variables such as suspension link length and spacing. I quickly hit a brick wall. now I'm drawing a blank as to where to begin.

below is a simple drawing that shows the variables I would like to use. could somebody point me in the right direction as to how to write the formulas and equations to get a graph of the trajectory of the centerline of the axle?

a few things I forgot in the drawing.
A=180mm
F=27mm
girder.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
I took a step back and took a break from it. then everything just clicked. I sat down at the computer and had everything working within a couple hours.

now I have a working spreadsheet ap that let's me change the top and bottom girder lengths, pivot distance both front and rear and the beginning angle of the lower link. it graphs the trajectory just like I wanted.

Hello there,

It's great to see your enthusiasm for designing and building your own motorcycle. The girder suspension with unequal length links is definitely an interesting choice and I can understand your concern with minimizing variance in rake and trail.

In terms of calculating the trajectory of the suspension, there are a few key factors that you will need to consider. First, you will need to determine the forces acting on the suspension, such as the weight of the motorcycle and the rider, as well as any external forces such as bumps on the road. These forces will affect the suspension's movement and will need to be accounted for in your calculations.

Next, you will need to determine the geometry of the suspension, including the lengths and angles of the links. This will help you determine the position of the centerline of the axle as the suspension moves through its range of motion.

To calculate the trajectory of the suspension, you will need to use equations from classical mechanics, specifically those related to motion and forces. These equations will help you determine the acceleration, velocity, and position of the suspension as it moves.

I would recommend starting with a basic understanding of Newton's laws of motion and kinematics, as well as researching suspension design and dynamics. There are also many resources available online that can help you with the specific equations and calculations you will need for your design.

I hope this helps point you in the right direction. Good luck with your project!

FAQ: How to Calculate Motorcycle Girder Suspension Trajectory?

1. What is a Grider suspension trajectory?

A Grider suspension trajectory is a mathematical model used to predict the path of an object suspended by a cable or wire. It takes into account the weight and length of the cable, as well as the forces acting on the object, to determine its trajectory.

2. How is a Grider suspension trajectory calculated?

A Grider suspension trajectory is calculated using a combination of physics principles, such as Newton's laws of motion and Hooke's law, along with mathematical equations. It can also be simulated using computer software.

3. What types of objects can be analyzed using a Grider suspension trajectory?

A Grider suspension trajectory can be used to analyze the path of any object suspended by a cable or wire, such as a bridge or crane, as long as the cable is taut and the object is relatively small compared to the length of the cable.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of a Grider suspension trajectory?

The accuracy of a Grider suspension trajectory can be affected by various factors, such as air resistance, wind, and the elasticity of the cable. Other factors, such as the weight and shape of the object, can also play a role in the trajectory.

5. What are the practical applications of a Grider suspension trajectory?

A Grider suspension trajectory has various practical applications, including designing suspension bridges, calculating the trajectory of cranes and other heavy equipment, and analyzing the movement of objects on roller coasters or in amusement park rides. It can also be used in sports, such as analyzing the trajectory of a ball thrown or hit by a player.

Back