Good math methods in physics book?

In summary, a good math methods in physics book should provide a comprehensive and clear explanation of mathematical concepts and their applications in physics. It should also include plenty of practice problems and examples to reinforce understanding and improve problem-solving skills. Additionally, the book should be well-organized and easy to navigate, with a logical progression of topics. Visual aids, such as diagrams and graphs, can also enhance the learning experience. Finally, a good physics math methods book should strike a balance between theory and practical applications, making it a valuable resource for both students and professionals in the field.
PhysicsMark
Hello. I am looking for a good math methods in physics book. I am currently taking Mathematical methods in physics at my university. The tutorial we use isn't very helpful. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Lots of people like Boas, I don't have it though. Courant and Hilbert is classic I guess, real in depth with way more than you would ever cover in a course though. I also have Menzel which is good I guess.

I would also suggest "Spacetime, Geometry and Cosmology" by William Burke as a very good first introduction to what is called 'calculus on manifolds' which has become indispensable for modern physicists, but is not usually treated in the older 'mathematical methods for physicists'-type books like Boas.

Likes Joker93
Thanks for the suggestions.

PhysicsMark said:
I am currently taking Mathematical methods in physics at my university.

At what level? Does the course has assigned or recommended texts?

At the most introductory level there is Basic Training in Mathematics: A Fitness Program for Science Students by R. Shankar,

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0306450356/?tag=pfamazon01-20.

I, too, recommend https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471198269/?tag=pfamazon01-20 by Boas, which is a standard text for junior-level mathematical method courses. I wasn't very familiar with this book until I used as the text for a course that I taught a few years ago

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0120598760/?tag=pfamazon01-20 by Arfken and Weber is a standard text for grad-level (or possibly senior-level) mathematical methods courses.

Last edited by a moderator:
George Jones said:
At what level? Does the course has assigned or recommended texts?

At the most introductory level there is Basic Training in Mathematics: A Fitness Program for Science Students by R. Shankar,

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0306450356/?tag=pfamazon01-20.

I, too, recommend https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471198269/?tag=pfamazon01-20 by Boas, which is a standard text for junior-level mathematical method courses. I wasn't very familiar with this book until I used as the text for a course that I taught a few years ago

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0120598760/?tag=pfamazon01-20 by Arfken and Weber is a standard text for grad-level (or possibly senior-level) mathematical methods courses.

Thanks. The course is taken over 3 semesters. One is at the end of you sophomore year (spring), and the other is in the beginning of your junior year (fall). There is a "tutorial" that was put together by a Professor Emeritus of Physics at my university. I believe the course is 7-8 years old by now. I can give you the table of contents for the first and second semesters.
1st:
Complex Arithmetic
FODEs
SOLDEs
"Trigg" Functions
Vector Algebra and intro to Matrices
Matrix theory
Orthogonal functions and Fourier Series
One-Dimenisonal Wave Equation

2nd half:
Vector Calculus
The delta function
Fourier Transforms
PDEs
Bessel Functions
Legendre Polynomials
Associated Legendre functions and spherical harmonics
Sturm-Liouville Theory and Orthogonal Functions
Analytic Function theory

Last edited by a moderator:
Although the text I'm going to mention is more advanced than the class you've described, I feel that it is indispensable to understanding deep structural connections within physics. It is "Mathematical Physics" by Robert Geroch. It is not computational but proof based, though it gives a very deep insight into the relationship between mathematics and physics from a more formal (and structuralist) point of view.

1. What makes a math methods in physics book good?

A good math methods in physics book should have clear explanations, a wide range of problems with varying difficulty levels, and relevant examples from real-life applications. It should also have a good balance of theory and practice, and thorough coverage of important mathematical concepts and techniques used in physics.

2. What are the key mathematical topics covered in a math methods in physics book?

Some of the key mathematical topics covered in a math methods in physics book include calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, vector calculus, and complex analysis. Other topics may include probability and statistics, Fourier analysis, and group theory.

3. Are there any recommended math methods in physics books for beginners?

Yes, there are several recommended math methods in physics books for beginners, such as "Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering" by K.F. Riley, M.P. Hobson, and S.J. Bence, and "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary L. Boas. These books provide a solid foundation in mathematical concepts and techniques used in physics.

4. How can I use a math methods in physics book to improve my problem-solving skills?

To improve your problem-solving skills using a math methods in physics book, it is important to actively engage with the material. This can be done by attempting the practice problems and checking your answers, as well as trying to solve problems from other sources using the techniques and concepts learned from the book. It is also helpful to review and understand the examples and explanations provided in the book.

5. Are there any online resources that complement a math methods in physics book?

Yes, there are several online resources that can complement a math methods in physics book, such as video lectures, interactive simulations, and online practice problems. Some popular websites for physics and math resources include Khan Academy, Coursera, and Brilliant. These resources can provide additional explanations and examples, as well as opportunities for practice and self-assessment.