Programming language or software for scientific/didactic animations

In summary, the conversation involved someone looking for software or programming language for creating educational animations about scientific topics, specifically about the evolution of a star's internal structure. They were considering VisualBasic, Flash, XML, and Adobe software, but were seeking help due to lack of experience. They wanted something with visual appeal and scientific accuracy, with the ability for user interaction and web compatibility. Suggestions were given for Open Source Physics and Processing IDE as well as Blender software for 3D graphics.
AmenoParallax
Hello everybody!

I'm looking for some good software or programming language suitable for creating some sort of animations aimed to didactic exposure of scientific topics.

What I want to do is an application that allows to interactively follow the evolution of a star's internal structure. The idea is to have cross-sections of the star with colour-coded diagrams that describe time-varying quantities as temperature, density, etc...

Some of the languages/softwares I was thinking of as suitable for this are VisualBasic, flash, xml... maybe some Abobe software... But I have no real experience in this, so I was looking for some help.

I'd like to use something that offers both visual appeal and some scientific "rigour"... As an example: I want to realize a schematic view of the internal structure of the star as concentric annuli, which color changes as a specific function of time during the animation... Also I'd like to make this a little interactive for the user, with the possibility to choose the type of diagram or quantities, and arrange multiple diagrams on a page.

If possible, I'd like to make this application compatible with web visualization.

Now, I realize these are a lot of requirements. Any suggestion will be appreciated.
If you could also suggest useful books or documentation, that would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Technology news on Phys.org
Check out the Open SOurce Physics website at www.compadre.org/osp

Its a java-based framework for doing physics simulations by actually integrating the equations that describe a given system.

You can step thru it or just run it and you'll get dynamic graphs or visuals of what's going on during the run.

Of course, you have to write the java code but they give you many examples and the framework to do it in with several ODE solvers to choose from.

Typically you'll use either Eclipse IDE or Netbeans IDE to develop your code.

Another one to look at is Processing IDE at:

www.processing.org

Also java basaed but definitely easier to use but you'll have to do more work for the kinds of simulations you want to do.

Of course, you might able to mix the two together like borrow the ODE solves from OSP and use them in your Processing sketch (aka your program).

Likes 1 person
@jedishrfu
Thanks!
I'm giving a look to Processing and it really looks like what I needed!
By the way, I don't think I will need to perform complicated mathematical computations like differential equations, 'cause I'm going to supply precomputed solutions, but the very possibility to use those kind of features is pretty interesting.
Thanks again for your quick and useful response!

@B0b-A
Thanks, by 3D graphics isn't what I need, it would be too complex for my purpose...

1. What is the best programming language for creating scientific/didactic animations?

The best programming language for creating scientific/didactic animations depends on your specific needs and preferences. Some popular options include Python, MATLAB, and JavaScript. It is important to choose a language that you are comfortable with and that has the necessary libraries and tools for creating the type of animations you need.

2. Can I use software like Adobe After Effects or Blender for creating scientific/didactic animations?

Yes, you can use software like Adobe After Effects or Blender for creating scientific/didactic animations. These programs have powerful animation capabilities and can be used to create visually appealing and informative animations for scientific or educational purposes.

3. Do I need to have coding experience to create scientific/didactic animations?

While having coding experience can be helpful, it is not always necessary to create scientific/didactic animations. There are software programs and tools available that have user-friendly interfaces and do not require extensive coding knowledge. However, having some basic coding skills can give you more control and flexibility in creating your animations.

4. What are some important factors to consider when choosing a software for creating scientific/didactic animations?

When choosing a software for creating scientific/didactic animations, some important factors to consider include the type of animations you need to create, the level of complexity you are comfortable with, the availability of necessary tools and libraries, and the compatibility with your computer system. It is also helpful to read reviews and try out different options before making a decision.

5. Are there any free or open-source options for creating scientific/didactic animations?

Yes, there are several free or open-source options for creating scientific/didactic animations. Some popular choices include Blender, Processing, and Synfig Studio. These programs are constantly being updated and improved, and they offer a cost-effective solution for creating high-quality animations.