What lessons should you know before studying integrals?

In summary, the person has finished studying limits and derivatives, but has not yet studied logarithms. They plan to take a couple of days to study logarithms before moving on to integrals. They are more familiar with English math books and will focus on logarithms before revisiting e^x and learning how to solve ODE's using logs. Additionally, they mention the need to be proficient in trigonometric and hyperbolic functions, as well as understanding the properties of logarithms and exponents. It is also suggested to learn how to use Mathematica or purchase Gradshteyn and Ryzhik for help with integrals.
Andrax
so this year I've finshed limits , derivatives (that's it in cacylus)and i'd like to study integrals , ididn't study logarithms yet so idk if that's necessary, thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Go ahead and take a couple of days to study logs. The integrals will still be there when you get finished.
How thoroughly did you study derivatives without knowing logs or what logarithmic differentiation was?

SteamKing said:
Go ahead and take a couple of days to study logs. The integrals will still be there when you get finished.
How thoroughly did you study derivatives without knowing logs or what logarithmic differentiation was?
in my country (france), logarithms are @ last year of high school just before integrals , that's why, i didn't learn logarithmic differentiation but I've learned most important deriv laws (l'hospital etc..), i like english books better than france ones , better exaplanation , simpler notations etc..
i'll focus on logarithms

You may want to go over the e^x stuff again after learning about logs. Logs are also used when you separate variables to solve ODE's, so you really need to know them well.

I'm no expert, but don't basic integrals integrals and derivatives go together? Sure integrals are harder in general (hence the need for humongous tables), but at the basic level they are two sides of the same coin. Heck, Apostol talks about integrals for 300 pages before introducing derivatives.

lots of trig

You should learn how to install and operate Mathematica on your computer.

An alternate option is going online and learning to purchase Gradshteyn and Ryzhik and open it to its table of contents.

:-p

But if you really want to do them yourself, be a master of manipulating trigonometric and hyperbolic functions. Know and understand the properties of logarithms and exponents.

FAQ: What lessons should you know before studying integrals?

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve. It is used to calculate the total amount of change in a quantity over a given interval.

2. What are the prerequisites for studying integrals?

The main prerequisites for studying integrals are a strong understanding of algebra, trigonometry, and basic calculus concepts such as derivatives and limits.

3. What are the different types of integrals?

There are two main types of integrals: definite integrals and indefinite integrals. Definite integrals have specific limits of integration and give a numerical value, while indefinite integrals have no limits and give a general function.

4. What are the key concepts to understand before studying integrals?

Before studying integrals, it is important to have a good understanding of functions, limits, and the fundamental theorem of calculus. It is also helpful to have some knowledge of geometry and trigonometry.

5. How can I prepare for studying integrals?

To prepare for studying integrals, you can review your algebra and calculus skills, practice solving different types of integrals, and familiarize yourself with the properties and rules of integrals. It may also be helpful to work through some sample problems or seek guidance from a tutor or teacher.