Having a bit of trouble figuring something out about a doorbell

• Thread starter Byrgg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bit
In summary, the textbook question asks why the armature in a doorbell does not vibrate repeatedly like a buzzer. The conversation discusses the possibility that the presence of chimes in the doorbell prevents the repeated vibrations. It is suggested that a solenoid, which is a coil that generates a force when a voltage is applied, is used in a doorbell to create the sound. This is compared to a buzzer, which converts AC current into sound. The conversation also explains the difference in circuit design between a doorbell and a buzzer, with the doorbell using a push button to close and open the circuit.
Byrgg
The question in the textbook is something like:

Why doesn't the armature in a doorbell vibrate back and forth repeatedly like in a buzzer?

I'm thinking it's related to the fact that the book says that in a buzzer, there's no gong/chimes, etc. Since the doorbell has chimes, is that why it doesn't vibrate back and forth repeatedly?

Physics news on Phys.org
Who would want to install a doorbell that will drive them crazy? Just think of all the fun the neighbourhood kids would get pressing it!

But why doesn't it drive them crazy? What is it that prevents the repeated vibrations?

Methinks a diode is probably involved... Where is the diode placed, and what effect does it have?

Err, we haven't learned about diodes in class so I doubt that's the answer expected...

Byrgg said:
Err, we haven't learned about diodes in class so I doubt that's the answer expected...
Oh, okay. Well, have you learned about a solenoid yet? If not, just google it or check out HowStuffWorks.com or wikipedia. It's a coil that you put a voltage across to generate a force to move something. If you put an AC voltage across the solenoid coil, it moves the thing back and forth (that's how speakers work). If you put a DC voltage across it, it pulls something into it and holds it there. How would you make a doorbell out of a solenoid?

Ok looks like it's because when the switch is closed in a doorbell, the contact remains pulled towards the first chime since the circuit isn't open.

It doesn't do this in a buzzer because if the switch is closed, it self-interrupts by opening the circuit after being pulled towards the gong, and then closes again(gravity or a spring pulls it back), and opens again and so on.

Does this make sense or am I missing something?

If I remember correctly (I took something like that apart when I was much younger) the doorbell I dissasembled consisted of two metal tubes of different dimensions hanging vertically on both sides of a horizontal electromagnet (or solenoid as berkeman calls it, which is essentially the same thing). The core of the electromagnet, which is a rod of soft iron (magnetizes and demagnitizes easily) is attached to a spring (lets say of the compression type). A pin on one end sticks into the spring (not all the way through). When the solenoid is activated by the push button circuit (current flows through the coil) the iron core is pulled into the solenoid. The pin hits the tube on the other side - Ding! As the pushbutton is released the solenoid deactivates and the spring pushes the iron core back. It hits the opposite tube - Dong!
If you were to hold the pushbutton in on this device you would only get a ding out of it. This should draw the attention of the inhabitans. After a little while release the button and the dong would follow. This would confirm your presence and/or make the inhabitants think that something is wrong with the device all the more reason for further investigation.

Last edited:
Byrgg said:
Ok looks like it's because when the switch is closed in a doorbell, the contact remains pulled towards the first chime since the circuit isn't open.

It doesn't do this in a buzzer because if the switch is closed, it self-interrupts by opening the circuit after being pulled towards the gong, and then closes again(gravity or a spring pulls it back), and opens again and so on.

Does this make sense or am I missing something?
I don't know about the self-interruption part of your buzzer explanation, but another way to think about it is that the doorbell mechanism needs DC current to operate the solenoid, and a buzzer/speaker converts AC current into sound.

As one can see from my explanation the normal doorbell circuit do not contain a contact like a buzzer. The pushbutton (normally open) closes and opens the circuit, so it takes over this function. The circuit is closed as long as the push button is held down. This could cause the solenoid to overheat and shorting the coil out if the button is kept down too long.

1. How do I fix a doorbell that's not working?

First, check the batteries in the doorbell. If they are dead, replace them with new ones. If the batteries are not the issue, then check the wiring and connections. Make sure everything is securely connected and not loose. If the problem persists, it may be a faulty doorbell and it may need to be replaced.

2. Why does my doorbell ring on its own?

This could be due to a short circuit in the wiring or a malfunctioning doorbell button. Check the wiring for any loose connections or exposed wires. If everything looks fine, then the doorbell button may need to be replaced.

3. How do I change the chime on my doorbell?

Most doorbells have a small switch or button on the chime box that allows you to change the chime. If your doorbell does not have this feature, you may need to purchase a new chime box with different chime options.

4. Can I install a doorbell myself?

Yes, installing a doorbell is a relatively simple process. However, if you are not comfortable working with electrical wiring, it is recommended to hire a professional electrician to ensure the safety of your home and yourself.

5. Why is my doorbell not as loud as it used to be?

This could be due to a faulty chime or speaker. Check the chime box and make sure all connections are secure and the speaker is not damaged. If the problem persists, you may need to replace the chime box or doorbell.