Deriving the Thin Lens Formula: How Does Equation 1 Relate to the Triangles?

In summary, the conversation discusses a formula, 1/f = 1/do + 1/di, which relates to the ray diagram. The speaker is seeking help in understanding where the formula comes from and how it is derived. They are also looking for clarification on how the formula relates to the triangles on the diagram and how di/f -1 is related to Ab/cd = Af/df, as they are confused by the division of f in the equation. They express their gratitude for the explanation and ask for further clarification.
Larrytsai
Hi I need help on figuring where and how 1/f = 1/do + 1/di
My teacher told me it relates to the ray diagram but i have no clue where to start to find where this formula has come from. Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here shows you how to derive it.

rock.freak667 said:
Here shows you how to derive it.

WOW thank you so much... i can't even explain how happy uve made me. I know this will help for sure but could you explain about how equation 1 relates to the triangles to me please. Just make it a lil more clearer to me:D or could someone explain to me how
di/f -1 is related to
Ab/cd = Af/df like i see the labels on the diagram but it doesn't make sense like why we divide f and stuff sry if u guys can't understand what I am trying to say

Last edited:

1. What is the thin lens formula in optics?

The thin lens formula is a mathematical equation used to calculate the image distance (di) formed by a thin lens based on the object distance (do), focal length (f) of the lens, and the refractive index of the medium between the lens and the image. It is represented as 1/f = 1/do + 1/di.

2. How is the thin lens formula derived?

The thin lens formula is derived from the laws of refraction and geometry. It assumes that the thickness of the lens is negligible compared to its focal length, and the lens is made of a single material with a constant refractive index. By applying Snell's law and using the geometry of the lens, the thin lens formula can be derived.

3. Can the thin lens formula be applied to all types of lenses?

No, the thin lens formula is only applicable to lenses that are thin, meaning their thickness is much smaller than their radius of curvature. This includes convex and concave lenses, but not thick lenses, such as a magnifying glass.

4. What are the limitations of the thin lens formula?

The thin lens formula assumes that the lens is thin, made of a single material with a constant refractive index, and is in air. It also does not take into account any aberrations that may occur in the lens. Therefore, it is not completely accurate in all situations and should be used as an approximation.

5. How is the thin lens formula used in real-world applications?

The thin lens formula is used in various applications such as designing optical systems, determining the power of a lens, and predicting the location and size of an image formed by a lens. It is also used in the field of ophthalmology to calculate the power of corrective lenses for vision correction.