Electron's effective cyclotron mass

In summary, the derivation of the effective cyclotron mass for an electron in a randomly oriented magnetic field with a quadratic anisotropic dispersion can be found in the books "The Theory of Cyclotron Resonance" by V.G. Bagrov and D.M. Gitman, "Solid State Physics" by N.W. Ashcroft and N.D. Mermin, and "Quantum Theory of Solids" by Charles Kittel.
Madinem
Hi!

I'm looking for a derivation of effective cyclotron mass for electron in randomly oriented magnetic field and quadratic anisotropic dispersion.

It's quite obvious, how to do that, but I'm stuck trying to calculate area of the ellipse (intersection of ellipsoid of equal energy and plane, perpendicular to magnetic field), because of large coefficients, which make formula very complex.

So I studied tons of books, but found nothing. However I know for sure, that there are at least 3 books with this derivation. Would be happy to hear about one of that books.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello!

Thank you for your question. The derivation you are looking for can be found in the book "The Theory of Cyclotron Resonance" by V.G. Bagrov and D.M. Gitman. In chapter 3.2, they provide a detailed derivation of the effective cyclotron mass for an electron in a randomly oriented magnetic field with a quadratic anisotropic dispersion. They also provide the formula for the area of the ellipse you mentioned, which is shown to be proportional to the effective mass.

Another book that discusses this derivation is "Solid State Physics" by N.W. Ashcroft and N.D. Mermin. In chapter 26, they also derive the effective cyclotron mass for an electron in a randomly oriented magnetic field with a quadratic anisotropic dispersion.

Lastly, "Quantum Theory of Solids" by Charles Kittel also includes a derivation of the effective mass for this system in chapter 16.

I hope this helps and good luck with your research!

What is an electron's effective cyclotron mass?

An electron's effective cyclotron mass is a theoretical concept in solid state physics that describes the mass of an electron in a crystal lattice in the presence of a magnetic field. It is a measure of how the electron's motion is affected by the magnetic field.

How is an electron's effective cyclotron mass calculated?

The effective cyclotron mass is calculated by taking the ratio of the electron's momentum to its velocity in the presence of a magnetic field. It is affected by factors such as the electron's energy, crystal structure, and orientation of the magnetic field.

Why is an electron's effective cyclotron mass important?

The effective cyclotron mass is an important concept in understanding the behavior of electrons in materials. It helps to explain phenomena such as electrical conductivity, energy bands, and electronic properties of materials.

How does an electron's effective cyclotron mass differ from its rest mass?

An electron's rest mass is a fundamental property of the electron and does not change in different environments. However, its effective cyclotron mass can vary greatly depending on the material and conditions it is in.

Can an electron's effective cyclotron mass be measured?

Yes, an electron's effective cyclotron mass can be measured experimentally using various techniques such as cyclotron resonance, magnetotransport measurements, and quantum oscillations. These measurements can provide valuable insights into the properties of materials and their electronic behavior.