Solve Rate of Change for Spherical Balloon Radius: 500 cc/min

• Thread starter bjr_jyd15
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rate
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in calculus involving a spherical balloon being inflated at a rate of 500 cubic centimeters per minute. The question is how fast the radius of the balloon is increasing at two specific points. The group shares equations and equations are discussed to help solve the problem. The final equation is \frac{dr}{dt}=\frac{1}{4{\pi}r^{2}}\frac{dV}{dt}.
bjr_jyd15
Hi everyone. I'm stuck on this problem in calc:

A spherical balloon is inflated with gas at the rate of 500 cubic centimeters per minute. How fast is the radius of the balloon increasing at the instant the radius is a)30 cm and b)60 cm?

Here's what I have so far.

V=4/3*pi r^3

dV/dt=500

dr/dt=?

dV/dt=4/3*pi (3r^2) dr/dt

Where can I go from here? Any help would be great. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
OOPS, MAJOR EDIT:
"dV/dt=4/3*pi (3r^2) dr/dt"
You've got this equation, right?
So, regrouping you have:
[tex]\frac{dr}{dt}=\frac{1}{4{\pi}r^{2}}\frac{dV}{dt}[/tex]

Last edited:
got it

thanks, i got it. The 4/3 just screwed me up. i just plugged dv/dt from original info.

1. What is the formula for calculating the rate of change for a spherical balloon radius?

The formula for calculating the rate of change for a spherical balloon radius is dr/dt = V/t, where dr/dt represents the rate of change of the radius, V represents the volume of the balloon, and t represents the time.

2. How do you measure the volume of a spherical balloon?

The volume of a spherical balloon can be measured by filling it with a known quantity of air or water and then measuring the displacement of the liquid. Alternatively, the volume can be calculated using the formula V = (4/3)πr^3, where r is the radius of the balloon.

3. What does 500 cc/min represent in terms of the rate of change for a spherical balloon radius?

500 cc/min represents the rate of change of the radius of a spherical balloon in terms of cubic centimeters per minute. This means that the radius of the balloon is increasing by 500 cubic centimeters every minute.

4. Can the rate of change for a spherical balloon radius change over time?

Yes, the rate of change for a spherical balloon radius can change over time. This can happen if the volume of the balloon is changing, or if external factors such as temperature or pressure are affecting the size of the balloon.

5. How can the rate of change for a spherical balloon radius be used in practical applications?

The rate of change for a spherical balloon radius can be used in various practical applications, such as monitoring the growth of a balloon in a scientific experiment, predicting the size of a balloon at a certain time, or controlling the inflation of a balloon in a manufacturing process.