Understanding Spin Orbit Coupling: Deriving the Hamiltonian

In summary, The conversation discusses the derivation of a formula for an electron moving in an electric field and its resulting local magnetic field. It also touches on the use of classical electrodynamics in a quantum mechanical system.
aaaa202
I have a question about how my book derives a formula. It starts with:
We have an electron free too move on a cylinder and from the cylinder there is an electric field pointing radially outwards.
Now for an electron moving in an electric field it sees local magnetic field given by:

B = 1/c^2 v x E (1)
And from spin pertubation theory we now get the following pertubation of the Hamiltonian:
H' = -μ [itex]\bullet[/itex] B = C L[itex]\bullet[/itex]S

I don't understand the last equality. I know μ(the magnetic moment) is proportional to the spin but how do we get L from (1)? - and how does it even make sense to use "v" the velocity in classical electrodynamics in a quantum mechanical system?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would argue like this: use ## v=i\hbar [H,\vec{r}]## (holds also quantum mechanically), express ## \vec{r} ## in polar coordinates and use ##H=L^2/2mr^2##.

Related to Understanding Spin Orbit Coupling: Deriving the Hamiltonian

What is spin orbit coupling?

Spin orbit coupling is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where the spin of a particle is affected by its orbital motion. This means that the spin and orbital angular momentum of a particle are not conserved separately, but rather interact with each other.

How does spin orbit coupling affect atoms?

In atoms, spin orbit coupling causes energy levels to split and shift, leading to the phenomenon known as fine structure. This can also affect the magnetic properties of atoms, making them more complex and varied.

What causes spin orbit coupling?

Spin orbit coupling is caused by the interaction between the magnetic field created by the motion of charged particles and the spin of those particles. This interaction is known as the spin-orbit interaction.

What is the Hamiltonian in spin orbit coupling?

The Hamiltonian in spin orbit coupling is the mathematical operator that describes the total energy of a system, including the effects of spin orbit coupling. It is derived from the Schrödinger equation and takes into account the spin and orbital dynamics of the particles in the system.

How is the Hamiltonian for spin orbit coupling derived?

The Hamiltonian for spin orbit coupling is derived using a combination of quantum mechanics and classical electrodynamics. This involves solving the Schrödinger equation for a system with spin orbit coupling and incorporating the spin-orbit interaction term. The resulting Hamiltonian can then be used to predict the behavior of particles with spin orbit coupling.