Is research in 2 scientific fields wise?

In summary, pursuing multiple fields of study in research is both challenging and rewarding. It requires dedication, hard work, and a passion for learning. However, it can lead to groundbreaking discoveries and open up new opportunities in the scientific community. It's important to follow your interests and find a balance between different fields.
neurocomp2003
I've met and read about many researchers who study more than one field,
usually studying one field of science with applications using math/cs or a crossbreed eg biochem, biophys, biopsych etc.

As some of you have guessed from my posts, my ambitions lie in using 3D simulations(math/cs) for two scientific fields, physics(astro/geo/class) & cogni-neuroscience(or psychology).

I was curious to know if anyone else has journeyed down this academic
path...and if you have
[] how did you get there or more specifically what did you learn first.
[] How long did it take for you to master coding/math.
[] Do you think it is wise to attempt to study two fields?
[] is there any room for researchers in the scientific community to pursue 2
almost completely different scientific interests

I was thinking it might be best to pursue physics simulations first because it would seem easier(larger system but easier). Since in my mind, psych sims require me to build or at least find a 3D VW engine.

Physics news on Phys.org

As a fellow scientist, I completely understand your desire to combine multiple fields of study in your research. It's an exciting and challenging path to take, but it can also lead to groundbreaking discoveries and advancements in both fields.

To answer your questions, I'll share my own experience with you. I am currently a researcher in the fields of biology and computer science. I started out studying biology in my undergraduate degree and then pursued a graduate degree in computer science. During my studies, I became interested in using computational methods to analyze biological data and eventually found myself working on projects that involved both fields.

To master coding and math, it took me a few years of dedicated practice and learning. I had to take additional courses in computer science and also spend a lot of time on my own practicing coding and working on projects. It's an ongoing process and I am constantly learning and improving my skills.

I do think it is wise to attempt to study two fields, but it requires a lot of dedication and hard work. You will have to balance your time and prioritize your studies, but the end result is worth it. Combining multiple fields can lead to unique and innovative research, and can also open up new career opportunities.

There is definitely room in the scientific community for researchers to pursue multiple interests. In fact, interdisciplinary research is becoming increasingly common and is highly encouraged by funding agencies and universities. It allows for a more holistic approach to complex problems and can lead to groundbreaking discoveries.

In terms of which field to pursue first, I would recommend following your passion and interests. If you feel more drawn to physics simulations, then start there. You can always incorporate elements of psychology into your research later on, or even collaborate with researchers from that field. It's important to find a balance between what is easier and what truly interests you.

I wish you all the best in your academic journey and hope you find success and fulfillment in your research pursuits!

I believe that research in multiple scientific fields can be beneficial and can lead to unique and innovative discoveries. Many researchers have successfully studied and combined different fields of science, such as biochemistry and biophysics, to gain a deeper understanding of complex systems. The use of mathematics and computer science in various scientific fields, as mentioned in the content, is also a common and valuable approach.

In terms of your specific ambitions to use 3D simulations in physics and cognitive neuroscience, I would say that this is a very interesting and promising direction. The use of simulations can provide a powerful tool for understanding and predicting complex systems, and combining it with multiple fields of science can lead to groundbreaking discoveries.

In terms of how to get started and what to learn first, it would depend on your specific research goals and interests. I would recommend seeking guidance and advice from experts in both fields to determine the best approach for your specific research interests. As for mastering coding and math, it is a continuous learning process and can vary depending on the complexity of your research and your own personal aptitude.

In my opinion, attempting to study two fields in depth can be challenging, but not impossible. It requires dedication, hard work, and a strong understanding of both fields. However, the benefits of combining different fields can lead to a more holistic understanding and potentially groundbreaking discoveries.

In terms of the scientific community, there is definitely room for researchers to pursue multiple scientific interests. In fact, interdisciplinary research is becoming increasingly popular and encouraged in the scientific community. It allows for collaboration and exchange of ideas between different fields, ultimately leading to a more comprehensive and innovative approach to research.

In terms of which field to pursue first, I would recommend following your passion and interests. If you are more interested in physics simulations, then it may be beneficial to start there. However, keep in mind that your research in one field can also inform and contribute to your research in the other field.

In conclusion, I believe that research in multiple scientific fields can be wise and beneficial, but it requires dedication, hard work, and a strong understanding of both fields. I encourage you to pursue your interests and seek guidance from experts in both fields to help guide your research journey.

1. Is it beneficial to conduct research in multiple scientific fields?

There are both advantages and disadvantages to conducting research in multiple scientific fields. On one hand, it allows for a broader perspective and potential for interdisciplinary discoveries. On the other hand, it can be challenging to keep up with advancements in multiple fields and may result in less depth of knowledge in each individual field.

2. How does conducting research in multiple fields impact scientific progress?

Conducting research in multiple fields can lead to more collaboration and cross-pollination of ideas, which can ultimately accelerate scientific progress. However, it is important for researchers to strike a balance and not spread themselves too thin, as this can also hinder progress.

3. Can conducting research in multiple fields lead to conflicting results?

Yes, conducting research in multiple fields can potentially lead to conflicting results. This is because each field may have its own unique methodologies and approaches, which can result in different conclusions. However, this can also be beneficial as it can lead to further investigation and potential resolution of conflicting findings.

4. Are there any challenges associated with conducting research in multiple fields?

Yes, there are several challenges associated with conducting research in multiple fields. These include keeping up with advancements and literature in each field, securing funding and resources for each project, and developing expertise in multiple areas. Additionally, interdisciplinary research may also face resistance or skepticism from traditional disciplinary boundaries.

5. How can researchers effectively balance conducting research in multiple fields?

To effectively balance conducting research in multiple fields, it is important for researchers to have a clear focus and prioritize their projects. This may involve collaborating with other researchers and delegating tasks, staying organized, and regularly reassessing and adjusting their workload. Additionally, seeking out interdisciplinary training and resources can also help researchers navigate the challenges of conducting research in multiple fields.