Friction & Rolling: Flat Surface, Constant Speed

In summary: In the absence of any acceleration, static friction will always cause the disk to move at a constant speed.
hokhani
when a roller is rolling on a flat surface with a constant speed, how is about the friction force?
is there any friction forces or not?

Physics news on Phys.org
hokhani said:
when a roller is rolling on a flat surface with a constant speed, how is about the friction force?

What are your thoughts? The term "constant speed" is a key in this question...

constant speed doesn't say much - it could be a forced motion.

if the roller is rolling without slipping, there is static friction with does no work.

Curl said:
constant speed doesn't say much - it could be a forced motion.

Ah, good point. Didn't think of that possibility.

thanks all
let me clarify my question:
consider a roller without slipping(a disk) which it's center has a constant speed.
if there were any friction force on a roller during rolling then the disk can't have a constant speed(due to friction the velocity is decreasing). on the other hand the torque(due to friction) should increase it's angular velocity.
so i think there is a discrepancy here.

If something is just rolling without slipping along a horizontal surface, the static friction will be zero. Static friction would be non-zero if it were accelerating.

(This ignores losses due to deformation and rolling friction, of course.)

ok
thanks

hokhani said:
Have you rolled a marble along a flat surface? What about trying different flat surfaces?

hokhani said:
I'm guessing your thinking of rolling resistance, as opposed to static friction. Wiki article about rolling resistance:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_resistance

There is pretty much always friction.

When the disk is freely rolling without slipping at constant velocity, the friction is zero. If your disk rolls onto a frictionless surface, there will be no difference in how it moves - it will still appear to be rolling without slipping because rw=v i.e. they are matched perfectly.

Friction only comes into play if there is any acceleration.

What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists the motion of objects in contact with each other. It is caused by the irregularities in the surfaces of objects that interact with each other.

How is friction calculated?

The force of friction can be calculated using the equation F = μN, where μ is the coefficient of friction and N is the normal force between the two surfaces.

What is rolling friction?

Rolling friction is a type of friction that occurs when an object rolls over a surface. It is typically less than sliding friction because there is less surface area in contact.

How does rolling friction differ from sliding friction?

Rolling friction occurs when an object rolls over a surface, while sliding friction occurs when two surfaces slide against each other. Rolling friction is typically less than sliding friction because there is less surface area in contact.

How does constant speed affect friction on a flat surface?

At a constant speed, the force of friction is equal to the force applied to the object in motion. This means that the object will continue to move at a constant speed, with the force of friction balancing out the applied force.