Is the totalitarian principle the key to understanding limitless possibilities?

• Thread starter spaghetti3451
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Principle
In summary, the Totalitarian Principle states that anything that is not forbidden must occur. This principle is helpful in discovering physical principles as it includes everything that is possible, even if it is extremely unlikely.
spaghetti3451
The totalitarian principle states that 'every process that is not forbidden must occur'.

Isn't this principle self-obvious? After all, a process that is not forbidden can, by definition, occur.
But, I think I am missing a layer of meaning implied by this statement. If that is so, would you please clarify my confusion?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a difference between "can occur" and "must occur".
Consider the process where you eat pickled earthworms for lunch.
It is not forbidden by any natural law that you eat pickled earthworms for lunch - did it happen?

I see your point.

I think this is not a fundamental physical principle, but only a guide to the discovery of physical principles. Isn't that right? I say that because it lacks the features of any physical principle - no physical quantities are stated, no equations are mentioned, etc.

That is mostly true, but I believe that there is also motivation based on effective field theory. Lagrangian terms that are not forbidden by symmetries etc. have a habit of being radiatively generated in the low energy limit of generic higher energy theories; or something like that, I'd have to go look it up...

A better phrasing of the Totalitarian Principle, by Murray Gell-Mann, is "Everything not forbidden is compulsory." There is a subtle difference between saying "is compulsory" and "must occur." They're only equivalent if you're thinking along the lines of the many worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics. And even then, the outcomes don't necessarily occur in the same "world" (so to speak).

The Totalitarian Principle comes about when utilizing Richard Feynman's sum over paths (also called, sum over histories) which involves Feynman's path integrals.

Before Feynman (and Wiener and Dirac), wavefunctions were traditionally calculated by modeling the energy potential, V, and then solving the second order, partial, differential equation called Schrödinger equation, of which there is a relativistic version. This can be a real bear if V is complicated.

The sum over paths approach is equivalent, yet in many situations is much more manageable.

One might rephrase the Totalitarian Principle to say, "When calculating the wavefunction using sum over paths, anything that is possible, even remotely possible, must be included as part of the path integral."

One final distinction is that "anything that is possible" is not the same thing as "anything that is imaginable." It's true that anything possible, even if it is extremely unlikely, must be included in the sum over paths, path integral. But there must be at least a remote possibility. And just because one can imagine something, doesn't necessarily mean it's possible.

Last edited:
"When calculating the wavefunction using sum over paths, anything that is possible, even remotely possible, must be included as part of the path integral."
Beat me to it - that's the next step. Cheers :)

What is the Totalitarian Principle?

The Totalitarian Principle is a concept in scientific research that states that all possible observations and experiments must be considered in order to fully understand a system or phenomenon. It suggests that no assumptions or biases should be made and that all data should be thoroughly analyzed.

How does the Totalitarian Principle apply to scientific research?

The Totalitarian Principle is particularly relevant in fields such as physics and biology, where complex systems and phenomena are being studied. By considering all possible observations and experiments, scientists can gain a more comprehensive understanding of the subject being studied.

Why is the Totalitarian Principle important in scientific research?

The Totalitarian Principle is important because it promotes the use of objective and unbiased methods in scientific research. It helps to prevent researchers from making assumptions or cherry-picking data, which can lead to flawed conclusions and hinder scientific progress.

What are some potential challenges in applying the Totalitarian Principle?

One challenge in applying the Totalitarian Principle is the amount of time and resources it may require to consider all possible observations and experiments. In some cases, it may not be feasible to conduct every possible experiment, and researchers must carefully select which ones to prioritize.

How can scientists incorporate the Totalitarian Principle into their research?

Scientists can incorporate the Totalitarian Principle into their research by carefully designing experiments and considering all potential variables and outcomes. They should also critically evaluate their data and avoid making assumptions or drawing conclusions that are not supported by evidence.