Congratulations to Anand and all his Indian fans

• Thread starter arildno
  • Start date
In summary, Viswanathan Anand made a magnificent comeback in the Candidates Match 2014 by winning it, and has now earned the right to challenge Magnus Carlsen in the upcoming World Championship.
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Viswanathan Anand made a magnificent comeback in the Candidates Match 2014 by winning it, and has now earned the right to challenge Magnus Carlsen in the upcoming World Championship.

I believe this rematch between the two chess titans in the world will bring lots of excitement, and that Anand now has regained the level of self-confidence to make the match a lot more even than the match in Chennai last year.
:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
He's done an excellent job. :)
Seriously I would never have guessed he would stand a chance against such a field.
He will take a well deserved revenge.

fluidistic said:
He's done an excellent job. :)
Seriously I would never have guessed he would stand a chance against such a field.
He will take a well deserved revenge.

I believe that even if Anand loses big time against Carlsen, he has proved to himself that he still belongs in premier league. Last year, apart from the World championship matches, he hadn't really done well in top-rated tournaments since 2007-2008.

Now, he'll know he is still in the top division for many years to come.

Anand is no doubt immortal in the chess scene. Imagine how hard it is to win against other grandmasters in the game, but he's been the world champion regardless, making winning look almost too easy against most grandmasters. I still hope for Carlsen to crush him >.<

This is a very good 15-minute interview with Viswanathan Anand, whose joy is evident, but he seems levelheaded as well. As he puts it: "I needed this result as people need oxygen"

When asked what might be the reason for why he managed to put the heavy blow in the World Championship behind him, he offers he very reasonable response: Having spent several weeks with his family, and playing with his young son, he got the mind off the devastating result last November.
http://ibnlive.in.com/news/i-needed...ygen-anand-on-candidates-win/462095-5-23.html
See also: http://www.chess.com/news/anand-this-result-for-me-is-a-bit-like-oxygen-7771

Last edited:
Thanks for interview arildno, It was a treat for me! As always Anand was frank and candid.

We saw him get demolished in a match, he made a historic blunder, thousands of chess fans totally wrote him off...
But now just six months later Anand silences everyone by winning one of the strongest chess tournament in history.

Anand is like a rubber rod. You can bend him but can't break him. Also, he can bounce back and hit you on the face!

Last edited:

1. What is the significance of Anand's achievement for Indian fans?

Anand's achievement is significant because he is the first Indian to win the World Chess Championship. This is a major milestone for Indian chess and has inspired many young players in the country.

2. How did Anand prepare for the World Chess Championship?

Anand is known for his rigorous training and preparation for tournaments. He spent months studying his opponents' games, analyzing strategies, and working on his own game to ensure the best possible performance in the championship.

3. What is the impact of Anand's win on the Indian chess community?

Anand's win has had a huge impact on the Indian chess community. It has brought more attention and recognition to the sport in the country, and has encouraged more young players to take up chess and pursue it seriously.

4. How many times has Anand won the World Chess Championship?

Anand has won the World Chess Championship five times - in 2000, 2007, 2008, 2010, and 2012. He is one of the most successful chess players in history and has also won numerous other prestigious tournaments and titles.

5. What makes Anand a successful chess player?

Anand's success can be attributed to his exceptional tactical and strategic skills, his ability to adapt to different playing styles, and his determination and hard work. He also has a calm and composed demeanor, which helps him stay focused and make wise decisions during crucial moments in a game.