Have you seen Dead Like Me? Any fans out there?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary: I don't think I've ever seen her do anything that wasn't great.Betty was my favorite character and she left the show way too soon. :cry:I really like the main character - toilet seat girl. :biggrin:Betty's death was a big loss. She was a great character and I really miss her. The show does a good job of balancing the dark content with some lighter moments.I thought the show was overall well done. I can't wait to watch the next season.I loved the scene in the first or second regular episode when Roxy gets mad, pulls the guy's soul out of his body, and then puts it back. Bad, bad reeper.I thought
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Integral was kind enough to loan out the DVDs, so I finally got to watch the first season of the show. I watched the entire season in a few days! What a great show. Do we have any fans?

I think it was in the pilot that they had a very haunting version of Que Cera, Cera. I still can't get that out of my head.

Integral, I'm done with the DVDs; got the next season? :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
I LOOOOVE that show! :!) :!) :!)
Betty was my favorite character and she left the show way too soon. :cry:

I really like the main character - toilet seat girl. :biggrin:

The show is pretty dark at times, but they avoid the blood and gore and somehow managed to make a comedy about death that works. Once I got started I couldn't stop watching. IMO, it is the best show since my other favorite, Northern Exposure.

I loved the scene in the first or second regular episode when Roxy gets mad, pulls the guy's soul out of his body, and then puts it back. Bad, bad reeper.

The down side: I keep checking for gravelings now. :uhh:

It was a wonderful season. I was pretty disapointed when it was cancelled.

Of course, everytime I look at Rube, all I can think is "You killed my father, prepare to die!"

WOW! You have been busy... no wait... Does watching TV count as being busy? :confused:

Don't blame me for any missed dead lines :rofl:

Speaking of dead lines.. Yeah that is a pretty good series, yep we have Season 2 also.. I guess that means we will be seeing you guys this weekend?

You like that... We also have Several seasons of 6' Under which is another death related series...

You up for the Sopranos yet?

Glad you liked it, did Tsu get in on this TV watching orgy or was she stuck with the more mundane facets of life...ie working? :rofl:

I like the show, but man they go through a lot of contortions to get a working reaper bureaucracy...

You claim the soul before their ugly death befalls them to spare them the pain.
If you don't claim the soul, they spend eternity mauled by a bear.
You can alter events, accidentally averting their death.
If you don't let them die, their soul rots.
You don't know exactly who will die, only a partial name, location and time.

This sets up a perfect scenario for claiming the wrong person.

So why would they enact a policy of claiming souls first??

And if that is merely to spare them pain, then why did the nurse Yeardley Smith (from the Natural Death Division) claim the old man's life boefre he dief of natural causes??

I've been thinking of writing up a Rules List and Logic Chart for Reaping.

Integral said:
WOW! You have been busy... no wait... Does watching TV count as being busy? :confused:

Don't blame me for any missed dead lines :rofl:

Actually, I had watched most of it before Monday morning. No, we didn't burn this weekend :redface: And what deadlines? I have a student now - his problem! :biggrin:

Tsu didn't like it as much. She watched the pilot with me [the second time I watched it :uhh: ] but I guess that being on the receiving end of real accidents for thirty years takes its toll.

DaveC426913 said:
You don't know exactly who will die, only a partial name, location and time.

Which pretty much explains why John Edwards, and others who speak with the dead, only get the initials.

:cry: :cry: :cry: Now I've seen them all! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Right? Only two seasons ending with the graveyard scene with George and her little sister?

Ivan Seeking said:
I think it was in the pilot that they had a very haunting version of Que Cera, Cera. I still can't get that out of my head.

It was by Pink Martini. Nothing will ever top Doris Day for me, though.

What's up next... 6' under... Sopranos? Your pick.

Might has well stick with the dead theme. :biggrin:

I loved the first season as it seemed to have an interesting idea around the plot and the depressing nature of the content was buffered with a little comedy. The second season didn't seem to add anything really to the story I thought and got a little predictable and almost annoying.

The obvious twist that I was expecting was that George would end up working with her mom. I think that's where things were going.

I found Reggie's and Joy's relationship one of the most fascinating aspects. Both such tragic characters.

That Reggie (Britt McKillip) is an amazing little actor.

1. What is the premise of "Dead Like Me"?

The premise of "Dead Like Me" is that a young woman named Georgia "George" Lass dies and becomes a grim reaper, tasked with collecting souls of the recently deceased. She and her team of reapers must navigate the afterlife while also dealing with their own personal struggles.

2. Who created "Dead Like Me"?

"Dead Like Me" was created by Bryan Fuller, who also created other popular shows such as "Pushing Daisies" and "Hannibal."

3. How many seasons of "Dead Like Me" are there?

There are two seasons of "Dead Like Me," with a total of 29 episodes. The show was cancelled after its second season but was later revived for a direct-to-DVD movie.

4. Who stars in "Dead Like Me"?

The main cast of "Dead Like Me" includes Ellen Muth as George Lass, Mandy Patinkin as Rube Sofer, Callum Blue as Mason, Jasmine Guy as Roxy Harvey, and Rebecca Gayheart as Betty Rhomer. Other notable actors who have guest-starred on the show include Cynthia Stevenson, Christine Willes, and Greg Kean.

5. Is "Dead Like Me" a comedy or a drama?

"Dead Like Me" is a dark comedy that also explores themes of mortality, grief, and the afterlife. It has elements of both comedy and drama, making it a unique and thought-provoking show.