9 pm, and still dont understand

• Thread starter megg0230
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves a rifle bullet being fired at an angle of 30 degrees below the horizontal with an initial velocity of 800 m/s from a cliff 80 m high. Using kinematic equations and resolving the initial velocity into X and Y coordinates, we can determine the displacement of the bullet from the base of the cliff. The 1st equation can be used to find the time and the 2nd equation can be used to find the horizontal displacement. Taking into account the angle and height, we can solve for the final answer.
megg0230

Homework Statement

A rifle bullet is fired at an angle of 30 degrees below the horizontal with an initial velocity of 800 m/s from the top of a cliff 80 m high. How far from the base of the cliff does it strike the level of ground below
g=9.8
initial velocity- 800 m/s
y=80 m

Homework Equations

People i ask say..
R=(initial velocity squared x sin(2 theta)
g

The Attempt at a Solution

i did
800^2 x sin2(30)

i get 56556.76106-which seems way to high
Then i did Soh Cah Toa
Sin=Opp/Adj
56556.76106/80
and got 706.9595133

I really just don't understand what i am doing, and need help. bad. this is due tomorrow.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello welcome to Physicsforums! Hope you will learn here and also teach us what you know!

For the problem:
(1)You must resolve the initial velocity into their X and Y coordinates using trigonometry.
(2)Then use kinematic equations to solve the problem.

I don't even know any of that.
We never learned Kinematic equations.
Im very slow at this, and am now regretting taking this class.

Hey don't despair! I can teach you what I know. I am learning this myself.

Kinematic Equations:
S=Vot+0.5at^2
S=Vft-0.5at^2
S=((Vo+Vf)/2)*t
Vf=Vo + at
Vf^2=Vo^2 + 2aS

S=Displacement in metres
Vo=Initial Velocity in metres/second
Vf=Final Velocity in metres/second
a=acceleration in metres/second squared
t=time in seconds

For all kinematic problems, write your 5 variables down and write the known values in.

Velocity is a vector quantity. It has magnitude and DIRECTION. direction is usually indicated by an angle as in your problem.

Velocity of the bullet is 800m/s angle 30degrees below the horizontal. Draw a picture and see if you can resolve the velocity into X and Y coordinates.

Have a look at this site:
http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/gbssci/phys/Class/vectors/u3l2c.html

Then we will see if we can solve the problem. Please come back.

Last edited by a moderator:
megg0230 said:
I don't even know any of that.
We never learned Kinematic equations.
Im very slow at this, and am now regretting taking this class.
http://www.mathlinks.ro/Forum/latexrender/pictures/b/0/2/b02ab4a44802a89197dc4fcc4947b1ec33ebdf9d.gif

Here is a better site.

http://id.mind.net/~zona/mstm/physics/mechanics/curvedMotion/projectileMotion/generalSolution/generalSolution.html

use the 2nd equation to find time

keep in mind the bullet is being fired DOWN, so your y value must be negative

when you find time, disregard the negative value

then use the 1st equation to find x

1. What does "9 pm" refer to in this context?

In this context, "9 pm" refers to the specific time of day, 9:00 in the evening.

2. What is the subject matter that is not understood at 9 pm?

The subject matter that is not understood at 9 pm could vary depending on the individual asking the question. It could refer to a specific topic, task, or concept that is causing confusion.

3. Is there a reason why understanding is difficult at 9 pm specifically?

There could be several reasons why understanding may be difficult at 9 pm. It could be due to fatigue or distractions from the day's activities. It could also be a result of the complexity of the subject matter being studied.

4. How can I improve my understanding at 9 pm?

There are a few strategies that can help improve understanding at 9 pm. Taking breaks throughout the day to rest and recharge can help combat fatigue. Breaking down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable parts can also make understanding easier. Additionally, practicing good time management and avoiding distractions can also improve understanding at 9 pm.

5. Is 9 pm a common time to experience difficulty understanding?

This can vary depending on the individual and their personal schedule. For some people, 9 pm may be a time when they are most alert and able to understand complex concepts. For others, it may be a time when they are more fatigued and find it challenging to focus. It ultimately depends on the individual's sleep patterns and daily routines.