Uh I need a runway, really let me explain

• Thread starter rhody
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explain
In summary: BMW has the "feel" nailed down. In summary, the bike is a work in progress that includes Ohlins shocks, a PUIG windscreen, Satos rear sets and racing hooks, Yoshimura fender eliminator, Racing Products case covers, stator/clutch, swingarm spools, Heli bars, Pazzo Racing levers, custom paint, front/rear wheels, black on red, and custom paint, rear swingarm.
Minus incredibly loud engine noise, huge wind blast, shaking, shuddering, twisting, bouncing, skipping, visual and nervous system overload, underneath all that lies http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aMhuOq04BI" based on the laws of physics, one powerful machine and a focused, brave rider, it doesn't get much better than that my friends...

Rhody... :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
So great that you can do something you love. Just keep yourself in one piece!

lisab said:
So great that you can do something you love. Just keep yourself in one piece!

Lisa,

Point noted and well taken, I know what it feels like to spit, hit, and flip on the pavement, I will do everything in my power to keep that from happening. I appreciate your concern.

Rhody... :redface: o:) :devil:

Just wanted to let those of you who will never experience the visceral acceleration (with exhaust note) of a modern superbike, I invite you to check out http://www.mefeedia.com/watch/36915115" , Superman, magnetic rail gun ride at Six Flags (fast forward to 1:30 - around 5 minutes for ride videos including slow motion). This thing accelerates you backwards from 0 to 100 mph in seven seconds. Obviously not with motorcycle gear, helmet, etc, so all you are left with is the wind and the vibration and shaking the ride forces on your senses. By comparison, the BMW is capable of accelerating from 0 to about 155 mph in 9.5 seconds, almost one third faster in only about 2.5 seconds compared to the ride.

For those of your fortune enough to experience Superman, you now share an experience to compare the bike with. Obviously, on Superman, you are a passive passenger, whereas on the bike your are busy with throttle, shift, body position so there is a lot more going on other than passive enjoyment. Just thought I would run this by you.

Rhody... :cool:

P.S. Be sure to turn the sound down a bit too, there is only so much screaming one can take before it starts to become annoying. Make sure you watch the young ladies face at around 4 minutes, complete terror turns to exhilaration, then again at 4:15 or so (slow motion sequence), this girl looks like she is about to lose her lunch, but recovers nicely at 4:29 when she realizes the ride is almost over.

edit: P.P.S. Just thought I would throw this in as a little bonus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkMfI8UII2c" in 6th gear at 186 mph, 19.10 seconds, not too shabby.

turbo-1 said:
Luckily, I have avoided being ground into the asphalt. My only two unintended dismounts were due to accidentally wheelying over backward, and those were many years ago on a sporty 2-stroke.

Turbo,

While out on country roads today, your post came to mind, I was just practicing rolling on the throttle in 1st - 3rd gears and the anti-wheelie control does work as advertised. As you know things happen a whole lot faster in 1st than 3rd gear and I am finding much more comfort in putting all my weight on the pegs and using the feeling to control how much throttle to apply, after 10 grand (torque peak) there is another 4.5k rpm range left and peak hp arrives around 12.5. I will say this, the suspension and power delivery is less intimidating than on my friend's Yamaha R1, however, you need precise and slower throttle movement once you venture into this territory. No danger of flipping over. If the front wheel is not perfectly aimed a wobble can develop quickly.

Heading to Loudon NH to audit a Fish Tails Riding School session and meet three college buddies (now 40 something adults) who will be taking their identical Yamaha R6 race prepped bikes for a track day next Monday. The instructor answered my e-mail and said auditing the class was no problem. So I should be familiar with the lay of the land and what to expect in June, but with a different school and instructors. I am sure the format will be similar.

The more seat time I get on the bike before and during track day, the better, will probably run in rain mode too (was running sport mode today and the power was full, about 30 hp more than rain mode) which makes it run more like a 750 than a 1000, and the power delivery is slower and less violent. As you adapt and get better with each input and response you gain confidence. Combine that with decent riding skills and it makes for a fun, exhilarating, and hopefully safe ride.

I am still contemplating a best mount for the HD camera, am leaning towards a chest mount home grown affair I watched on-line, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUqEOYj2Rvc". It may not be allowed due to safety reasons, so I will check before going this route. The camera is quirky, on/off switch is inconsistent and it will drain the battery even if powered off in less than a day, so keeping a charged battery separate till needed is essential. This is a poor design, but a small price to pay for such good video quality. Plan to take this to the track as well to experiment. That's about it for now...

Stopped at the shop to see the handiwork of two talented folks who put over 110 man hours into creating three nearly identical 2011 Yamaha R6 Track bike (including custom paint work). See pictures below. These little hummers are going to be zipping around Loudon, NH raceway next Monday. I will be there to audit the Riding School, Fish Tails, started about a decade ago by four riding buddies at the track. They need volunteer safety workers, 8, supervised by 3 master safety instructors. I plan to volunteer for Turn 3 (see map below) which I am told is one of the most challenging and interesting on the track for an up close and personal view. Bringing ear plugs, rain gear, hat, sun screen, and a cooler. It should be an eye opening experience. I am sure there will be some interesting stories as well as a few chills and spills along the way. Like I said earlier what you are looking at took 110 man hours and a total of 81,000 dollars and change in parts, material and labor over 2 months to create. Not a lightweight exercise. Since these are track bikes only (no headlights) and no key ignition, there is a toggle switch on the left handlebar to turn the bike on to be able to start. Each bike has the owners name in decal on the front of the windscreen as well.

2rxwt91.jpg
wjx3ls.jpg
2yv2osx.jpg
ojnm11.jpg
2mqrxnd.jpg

P.S. I still prefer the sound of the Taylor exhaust on my bike better, these little engines can spin around 16,000 rpm so they really scream, but only make good thrust above 8,000 rpm or so.

They look quite fun. It would be a blast to straddle one and gradually see what kind of lap times I could pull off. As long as some else is paying the bills.

Looks like great fun!

turbo-1 said:
They look quite fun. It would be a blast to straddle one and gradually see what kind of lap times I could pull off. As long as some else is paying the bills.

fuzzyfelt said:
Looks like great fun!
Hey, there is an echo in here, "fun", "fun". You will get a kick out of this, my hot ghost pepper decal on my intake has been slowly peeling away from the wind blast, so I am heading to the shop to pick up the rest of my spare decals this afternoon. I will get to meet one of the owners of the bikes as well. I can't vouch for it, but as the story goes these three guys were college buddies, made it in their middle age, and have taken personal instruction track days (very pricey), so I am expecting to see some fairly fast lap times from them. Weather for Monday shows chance of a shower or two, so add that to the mix and I am sure I will see some exciting slides and crashes. I am bad. I don't wish that on anyone though.

If the R6 guy and I hit it off, I may off him a short spin on my bike, to get feedback on suspension, etc... will report back either way. All for now.

Rhody... :smile:

P.S. Fuzzy, I should have the chill list done for my half soon, then we will compare and integrate, after that summarize, and add any new stuff, nothing like condensed material to get the "big picture". hehe...

off topic - My half is fairly much finished, although it isn't particularly condensed. It seems very long! I look forward to comparing notes sometime soon.

Well, I met one of the pack of three proud new owners of the Race R6's, let's call him Bob, Mechanical engineer, geek, almost as bad as me, we had things in common right away, he was impressed with the shop's handiwork and attention to detail, he could resist taking it for a short spin.

I offered to watch his six, ride behind him since he didn't have a plate on it. He took it to a parking lot about a mile up the road and put it through it paces. Then we had a bit of time to chat, he gave me a few tips while complementing my bike. I asked him what hurt after a track day, he said the lower part of your neck, whereas John says his forearms get pumped from using the brakes, everyone has his own demons I guess. He is the leader of the group and his two buddies, one a president of a major insurance company, will be following his lead on track day. I wonder what the shareholder's of his company would say if they found out what he was up to, hehe... I can only imagine. Bob was worried about rain at the track, as if he needed to, they have three sets of rain tires just in case. One thing I noticed about him right away he pays extreme attention to every detail, I guess that is a sign of an engineer, or someone like me, a software engineer with mild OCD symptoms, which I have grown to accept and learned somewhat control the not so good side of.

Rhody... :blushing:

P.S. Off topic, Fuzzy, I should have mine finished sometime Sunday and will PM them to you. I will then work on some new material I want to add, and spring that on you.

Last edited:
After thinking about this form sometime, I have come to the realization that I stated in the title to this thread,

Uh..., I need a runway, really... let me explain...

The only safe way to experience the acceleration, and more important, the braking ability of this bike to it's true potential, (about 90% of it's maximum) is to find an owner of a small rural airport who is willing to close his runway for say a few hours in the wee early morning, and for a fee and a waiver (of course) let a few of us folks bring their bikes there and do testing. I am not talking about every run flat out, but in graded steps, up and down the gearbox and through various rpm ranges. I have a few candidates (small airports that is). Possibly Turbo may know of a few more in southern New Hampshire. If the cost was split say between a half dozen to a dozen people, it would not be a pricey as even a track day, which runs in the 250$ range.

After talking with John, the Loudon road course is a notoriously ratty and dangerous track, offering different levels of traction. This fact does not give me great confidence that one could experiment with different acceleration/deceleration regimes safely, and the riders behind you would dogpile into you, and I am sure is not allowed on track day by the instructors. Who knows, with Bob the Mechanical engineer and his Bank CEO friend, maybe this idea could come to fruition. Knowing those guys, they would probably hire and bring some of the best instructors to the fray. Anyway, an idea worth exploring. I will let you know what, if anything becomes of it.

Rhody... :eek: :devil: :biggrin:

It has been two weeks since my Loudon Track day experience. I have had time to digest the instructors, people, sights, smells, etc... It was cold and damp, with threatening rain all day. Two of the three R6's and their riders (the third guy did not show) had a great time, my friend and his mechanic were there to adjust suspension, change tires, adjust chains, tweak things here and there and in general make sure the bikes were ready for being flogged on the track. There was a Honda 350 (my first real stater bike when I was 16) and a Kawasaki V-Twin in he beginner group. All sorts of Rat bikes and one frosty but friendly, after I charmed him a bit, instructor. He had a high compression, single cylinder Husqvarna Rat Bike that had to be bump started. He had the rear passenger side of his van in a block and the driver side on a set of rollers. You guessed it, I had to start the Van, put it gear, and give it half throttle to start his beast of a bike, with it's rear wheel in the roller well. I did this twice during the day until the poor thing blew a seal, so it has to be retired. Quite a character I must say. Next to our trailer was another trailer, quite new with glass mirrors inside on all three sides, hmmm, that was a bit odd, if I do say so myself.

I saw a number of people go down, most slow speed low sides, and considering the conditions I was not surprised. I sat in the bowl by turns 5 - 7 and say the experts (A Class) negotiate it. Funny, you will like this turbo, the Ducati's seemed most at ease doing so, maybe it was just the rider's I saw but the ones on those bikes looked the most comfortable in those three turns. I don't have much comment on the class session's (didn't attend any of them), but they just didn't offer anything I hadn't already seen or heard before. My friend said out track day will be totally different from this, and in his word's, "simply better, and on a different level".

I am looking forward to June 21st, and after watching almost a dozen or so video's of track days where near the end of the session's rider's were mostly high siding, have decided that their concentration must have waned just a bit, because from the video's alone, it was hard to tell what little mistakes they made to go down. Perhaps concentration, perhaps the tire was too greasy or worn, hard to be sure. One thing track day and the video's drove home to me was to come in or slow your pace when concentration wanes, and second, do not run the last session of the day, one of the R6 rider's confessed that he crashed because he was too exhausted, and now listens to his body, if it is beat, he is done for the day, good advice, IMHO.

Here is a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xzpx4wSdOeI" (fast forward to 2:35 for the blast through the countryside), the speedo is set to kilometers per hour so it definitely was not taken in the US. One thing I am continually amazed at is how fast this bike stops, you will note from about midway through the video, the rider was getting the traction control light to control wheel spin, or perhaps the angle sensor was limiting the power output to the rear tire and the rear tire got hot and he got more confident in the road.

I would not recommend or encourage anyone to drive like that on any country on the street. However, the technical aspects of the bike, it's handling characteristics, and the riders skill were still interesting to watch. All for now...

Rhody... :eek: :devil:

rhody said:
Funny, you will like this turbo, the Ducati's seemed most at ease doing so, maybe it was just the rider's I saw but the ones on those bikes looked the most comfortable in those three turns.
It might be just the riders, but if you've taken a couple of spins on a Ducati, you've got a feel for how stable they are in corners. Very well-engineered machines. I haven't ridden any of their race-class machines, but I came within a hair's breadth of buying a Monster before getting another Harley cruiser to keep things calm on the home front.

I was browsing the BMW Forum, ran into http://vimeo.com/21101933" , watched it. I got chills, it left me speechless. See if it effects you. Give me your opinion if you so choose.

Rhody... :bugeye: :approve:

I have a friend who builds race cars and another friend that races his car. I like high speed vehicles! Motorcycles are cool too! :smile:

Went for a leisurely Sunday ride on the beast, woods, secondary roads (mostly) and on one secondary, in second gear gradually rolling the throttle between 7000 - 10,000 rpm or so,

I started a stampede ! There was a cow pasture ahead of me on my right, when I rounded the corner, they were all in full gallop away from the noise (me).

I cut the ride short, too much fog, and on the same corner returning home I saw what looked like a hunk of plastic in the middle of the road on my side, on second glance I saw it was a turtle apparently sunning himself, oblivious to where he was, in the middle of the road. I turned around parked next to him, and put him in the woods. He was in a hurry after that. Then, a deja vu moment came to me, last July, the day my Mom passed away, I passed another turtle, this one was trying to cross a major four lane road, two in each direction, the traffic was moderate, and I couldn't stop and backtrack safely to attempt to save it, I said a prayer and continued on my way to work, not aware that a few hours later Mom would be dead from a massive heart attack, and me not knowing if the turtle made it or not.

I promised myself that day, if there ever was another situation where I could (safely) save a turtle or any other animal trying to cross a road, I would. Today, that promise came true, I almost burst into tears because it brought back all the trauma of that day. At the same time I felt some satisfaction from fulfilling a promise I made almost a year ago. Just thought I would share that story.

Before this happened I stopped for homemade ice cream, and before I left I guy and his wife pulled up next to me on a new spotless Harley. As I was suiting up, figuring a Harley guy would not notice or care about my beast of a crotch rocket, he said, "Nice Machine", I exchanged the complement, and went on my way, that culminated in the incident I just described. All in all, I would say it was a good day.

16jprer.jpg

Rhody... :approve:

Last edited:
rhody said:
I promised myself that day, if there ever was another situation where I could save a turtle or any other animal trying to cross a road, I would. Today, that promise came true, I almost burst into tears because it brought back all the trauma of that day. At the same time I felt some satisfaction from fulfilling a promise I made almost a year ago. Just thought I would share that story.

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing your life with us and making my day a special one.:biggrin:

It's that magical time of the year, (for me anyway) for the http://www.allaboutbikes.com/motorcycle-sports/road-track-racing/isle-man-tt-racing/4993-2011-isle-of-man-tt-begins-tonight".

Last year Ian Hutchinson won and unprecedented five TT's, a few races due to good fortune, but I dare say he was the best fit of all the racer's at the TT IMHO. That fact served notice on the likes of John McGuiness, Bruce Ansty, Keith Amor, Connor Cummins, Ryan Farquhar, Cameron Donald, Guy Martin, and a host of others to bring their A game this season. I think it wasn't just the equipment that allowed Hutchie to dominate last season, it was his fitness, focus and tough mental attitude and a bit of luck that played a role in his success. A http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCSJbDBUV3Q" at Silverstone, compound fracture put an end to Hutchinson's hopes to ride in the TT this year (fast forward to 3:19, then do a frame by frame, I don't think the rider(s) behind Ian knew he was there (he was hit twice and spun, and I believe the second hit broke his leg). Talk about a matter of inches, bad luck, bad timing, and being in the wrong place at the wrong time resulting in a whole season being put on hold to recover. It will not be the same without him at the TT.

Let's hope for once that when I get the Blu-Ray version after the races there are no tributes to riders who are killed. I love watching the races and since the Blu Ray version's were made available in 2008 I believe, it has been on my to do list to travel there to catch a few races.

P.S. While we are on the subject of safety, I wish Guy Martin best of luck and hope he does not repeat his 160 mph get off on the Bali-scary corner this year. It would be nice to see him with a first place finish as well, I believe he has 8 podiums to his credit, but no first place finishes. Maybe he will vanquish that demon once and for all this season, I hope so.

I picked up my set of ramps today, had my friend at the shop load a showroom BMW S1000RR onto my truck tie everything down and then take it off all without a problem. On the way home I picked up some ubrackets and lockwashers and linked my two ramps permanently side to side to make one nice stable platform. Four tie downs, with cinching hasps and I should be good to go.

I have seen a neighbor drive by with a stock bike like mine, today, as luck would have it, we stopped at the end of my street, he on his bike, me in my truck and agreed to go for a ride to compare. Later in the day while I was on a ride, not knowing he would be on my route, I saw him parked and so I pulled over. We chatted, I followed him to get gas and then we swapped bike for about 20 miles. His throttle is much easier and more fluid, the engine is way quieter and the suspension plush in comparison to mine.

The mid-range doesn't feel as strong as mine, and because his suspension (in general) is more mushy than mine the bike wheelies easier than mine as well. It feels about the same on the brakes but not on the gas. We are going to do more outings in the future. He has about 8,000 miles on his and his vibrates more than mine as well, but that may be due to all the back pressure from the baffle chambers in the exhaust system. Mine is free flowing and therefore has less vibration (and also less miles, I only have 1000 miles on mine) but more noise. His foot pegs feel a little strange too, I couldn't find his rear brake with my foot so didn't use it, and when I tried to find it got frustrated at trying to modulate it and gave up. I need to find a way to make my throttle easier to twist though, I like that on his bike, it may be because of my bar end mirrors. I will see if I can find some teflon washers to make it less sticky. A sticky throttle at the wrong time can get you in trouble in a hurry. That's about it. The weather is gorgeous here, 70's, little wind, dry as a bone, with few clouds, ideal, same weather predicted for tomorrow too.

Rhody... :smile:

I have been following the daily reports of the Isle of Mann this season, and today a wise decision was made to reschedule the race till tomorrow, good thing too, no one was seriously injured, but there were some scares and spills, full article link below and selected excepts for you.

http://www.isleofman.com/News/article.aspx?article=36680"
RACING was abandoned for the day at 2pm when the Supersport Race 2 was red flagged due to the weather after one of the top riders crashed at Union Mills on the second lap.

Keith Amor came off his 600 Honda when the back of his bike broke away on the right hander outside the Railway Inn in Union Mills on a damp patch when a shower of rain hit the course on the second lap.
McGuinness said before the start, “If it’s dry I’ll give it a go. If it’s wet I’m not interested.” However, he decided to start, and no one pulled out, although they all felt the four laps would not be completed in the unpredictable showery weather.
McGuinness said afterwards, “I was really cautious through the damp bits. Going into Union Mills I could see spray coming off the tyres off two of the back runners. It was no surprise to hear that Keith came off. I don’t know how Guy stayed on; he was really hanging on and the wheel went over his legs.

“I think I’d rather wipe my backside with a broken bottle than do that again.”

Dan Kneen said the red flag was the right decision. “I had a few slides here and there but you couldn’t tell what was coming under the trees. It was proper rain on the mountain, really chucking it down. You can’t race in those conditions.”

I am glad the decision was made to reschedule till tomorrow, and that the riders spoke up and were listened to. Good thing Amor didn't injure his separated shoulder even more. He was lucky.

23us2d.jpg

Rhody... ;)

As track day approaches there are lots of little things to attend to, which are being done now, safety wire the oil filter, locate and disable the head light, tail light switches, tape the head lights, remove the license plate assembly, and a host of other small things. I got the bike safely to the shop after loading and unloading it from my truck using a pair of bolted aluminum ramps.

This issue of Cycle Rider has a monthly segment: Code Break: by a legend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr776Wan6Rk" who lays out a checklist of things to improve every time you ride on track, this applies to novice's as well as world champions. There is always room for improvement no matter how skilled and experienced you are:

• be more confident
  • go faster
  • find good lines
  • trust your tires
  • don't panic
  • quit running wide
  • handle S-curves
  • don't stiffen up
  • feel more relaxed
  • have better corner entry speed
  • stop target-fixating
  • keep balance at slow speed
  • downshift smoother
  • get knee down
  • stop bike wiggle
  • make fewer steering corrections
  • handle sliding
  • get better corner drives
  • make smoother starts
  • make bike feel "planted"
  • maintain good body position
  • handle emergencies
  • trail brake in turns
  • avoid obstacles
  • improve lap times

I will try to keep all of these items in mind. If not addressed during the 4 or 5 class sessions, be sure to mention them to the instructor staff.

Rhody...

P.S. loading the bike on a set of double ramps proved interesting, no incidents, but I learned that a triple set is much better and safer, too little margin for error with a double ramp. :eek:

I stumbled on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsjZkJmC0II&feature=player_embedded" today. It is very funny (dark humor) but wrong on so many levels, produced expensively, (check out the audio, uniforms, makeup, etc...).

A plot revolving around a motorcycle BMW S1000RR that produces passion in people, and then to project that passion taken to a whole new level by one of the most heinous people to ever walk the planet (Adolf Hitler), angry beyond belief that his beloved BMW was stolen and that some dishonest soul tried to convince him that that Kawasaki ZX10R has more power (it doesn't), causes Hitler to go into meltdown. It is very convincing, those in the room are cringing from his tirade. The slow buildup to the meltdown is convincing too, well acted I must say. It is funny to see the man who caused so much pain to the entire world lose it and act like a raging lunatic to the horror of those left in the room to witness it.

I can't imagine that the German government or BMW can be very happy about this either. If its intent was to shock people, I think that it achieved its goal, and then some. I checked out the guy who posted it. He seems to be a very very edgy person to say the least. Don't know where he got it, and it has had less than 100 views, so I wouldn't be a bit surprised that it is pulled in the near future.

Rhody... :eek: :blushing:

P.S. If the video really offends anyone I will take it down.

Interesting observation by Keith Amor during the http://www.bikesportnews.com/news-d...p-foils-Amor-in-early-Senior-laps&newsid=489":
"That was a tough day at the office and there certainly wasn't much left in the tank at the end, I gave it everything! I struggled a bit in the early couple of laps as I was too tense and I got bad arm pump but after the first pit stop I settled down and got into the race a bit more," said Amor.

My friend at the bike shop said the same thing after a number of laps at Loudon. That just goes to show that amateurs and world class racers get tense, and that arm pump slows your lap times, and increases your chances to make mistakes. As Amor states, you have to somehow calm yourself down. An important thing to remember. If I get pumped I will pull in or simply back off. All these little things act add up. If you pay attention to them, respond accordingly, your riding will improve and you will be a safer better rider.

Rhody... :cool: :approve:

A nice http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/70306/Motorcycle-Photo-Gallery-Photo/2011-TT-and-Irish-Road-Racing.aspx" to wrap up, (87 pictures of racing at the Isle of Mann).

Enjoy...

Rhody... :cool: Wow, Rhody is on a roll today. Got my camera mount sorted may try it out soon, and post a video or two. Have to switch windscreens to "clear" before I do.

The bikes functional cosmetics are complete, watsen flush rear turn signals, at least for now, see thumbnails, I installed the Contour HD camera mount too. A couple shots of it as well.

The double smoke windscreen is coming off as well, the shorter clear windscreen is going on for track day, that is, if the camera is allowed. I hope so.

Have been doing my vision training everyday now for thirty minutes, hopefully it will help on the track, only time will tell.

P.S. Crickey... this thread is almost at 250 posts, maybe I should start a thread about it when I hit that number, eh , Pengy ?? See what passion does to you, it makes you just a wee bit crazy...

Attachments

• rear lights.JPG
    rear lights.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 316
  • contour1.JPG
    contour1.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 352
  • Contour2.jpg
    Contour2.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 336
Well, I have gotten a wee bit crazy with tweaking old-style US motorcycles into performing well. Still, it was a lot of fun, and I'd do it again.

turbo-1 said:
Well, I have gotten a wee bit crazy with tweaking old-style US motorcycles into performing well. Still, it was a lot of fun, and I'd do it again.
I agree turbo, its all about the journey, not the final outcome because in the end you have no absolute control. Luck, skill, and dare I say being in the right or wrong place have to do with the outcome. A tribute to an old title that inspired me long ago: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zen_and_the_Art_of_Motorcycle_Maintenance" . Ha... who would guess it would have its own wiki page. Not me. I highly recommend this book to anyone who cares about quality. Enough said, a good read.

This is what happens when a motorcycle meets a runway.

HowlerMonkey said:
This is what happens when a motorcycle meets a runway.

Howler,

Nice name (HowlerMonkey) BTW, that video is insane, he somehow gets it to 278+ mph and stopped (after the end of the runway, in the dirt) without dumping it. I am sure it was spinning all the way to top speed too, he was constrained by the length of the runway and spinning the tire uselessly as well. I would say he probably could not put three back to back runs like he did again in one day. I remember a few years ago the record was 250 something or other, he demolished it. A brave soul indeed.

Rhody... :uhh:

rhody said:
Went for a leisurely Sunday ride on the beast, woods, secondary roads (mostly) and on one secondary, in second gear gradually rolling the throttle between 7000 - 10,000 rpm or so,

I started a stampede ! There was a cow pasture ahead of me on my right, when I rounded the corner, they were all in full gallop away from the noise (me).

I cut the ride short, too much fog, and on the same corner returning home I saw what looked like a hunk of plastic in the middle of the road on my side, on second glance I saw it was a turtle apparently sunning himself, oblivious to where he was, in the middle of the road. I turned around parked next to him, and put him in the woods. He was in a hurry after that. Then, a deja vu moment came to me, last July, the day my Mom passed away, I passed another turtle, this one was trying to cross a major four lane road, two in each direction, the traffic was moderate, and I couldn't stop and backtrack safely to attempt to save it, I said a prayer and continued on my way to work, not aware that a few hours later Mom would be dead from a massive heart attack, and me not knowing if the turtle made it or not.

I promised myself that day, if there ever was another situation where I could (safely) save a turtle or any other animal trying to cross a road, I would. Today, that promise came true, I almost burst into tears because it brought back all the trauma of that day. At the same time I felt some satisfaction from fulfilling a promise I made almost a year ago. Just thought I would share that story.

Before this happened I stopped for homemade ice cream, and before I left I guy and his wife pulled up next to me on a new spotless Harley. As I was suiting up, figuring a Harley guy would not notice or care about my beast of a crotch rocket, he said, "Nice Machine", I exchanged the complement, and went on my way, that culminated in the incident I just described. All in all, I would say it was a good day.

16jprer.jpg

Rhody... :approve:

What happens when a bird sees a turtle on top of a table, http://www.noob.us/entertainment/bird-pushes-a-turtle-into-the-trash-can/" ? Fail...!

None of the performers in this stunt (i.e. the turtle) were hurt making this video, sadistic bird... hehe... The flip side of empathy, compassion...

Rhody... :devil: