Fluid Mechanics: Hydraulic Lift

You just need to convert the answer to gauge pressure by multiplying it by the density of the liquid (in this case, water) and the gravitational constant. In summary, the problem is to find the gauge pressure needed to lift a 1200kg car with a 0.30m diameter piston of a hydraulic automobile lift. The calculated answer in pascals is correct, but needs to be converted to gauge pressure by multiplying it by the density of water and the gravitational constant.
verd
Hi,
I have here a problem that I've been working on, and am not sure if I've gone about it correctly. The method I chose seems too simple, and I was wondering if someone could go over the answer that I've found, and let me know if I'm doing this right.The problem:
The piston of a hydraulic automobile lift is 0.30m in diameter. What gauge pressure, in pascals, is required to lift a car with a mass of 1200kg?

First off, I just calculated it in Pascales, and haven't done the gauge pressure thing yet, but this is the answer that I have come across (Attached)
http://www.synthdriven.com/images/deletable/14_help01.jpg Again, this seems too simple... If I'm going about this the wrong way, I think I'm just having difficulty organizing the problem. Am I going in the right direction? Thanks,
HM

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think your steps are correct.

Hi HM,

Thank you for reaching out with your question about fluid mechanics and hydraulic lift. Based on your calculations and the attached answer, it seems like you are on the right track. However, it would be helpful to see your work and calculations to confirm if you have solved the problem correctly.

In general, when solving problems in fluid mechanics, it is important to first identify the given information, the unknowns, and the relevant equations or principles that can be applied. In this case, the given information includes the diameter of the piston, the mass of the car, and the desired pressure. The unknown in this problem is the gauge pressure. The relevant equation is the equation for pressure in a hydraulic system, which is P=F/A, where P is pressure, F is force, and A is the area.

Based on the given information and the equation, it appears that you have correctly calculated the gauge pressure required to lift the car. However, it would be helpful to show your work and explain your thought process in solving the problem. This will not only help to confirm your answer but also allow for a better understanding of the concept for future problem-solving.

In summary, it seems like you are on the right track with your solution. However, it would be beneficial to show your work and explain your thought process to ensure that you have solved the problem correctly. I hope this helps and good luck with your further studies in fluid mechanics.

Best,

What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of fluids (liquids and gases) and their behavior under various conditions. It involves the analysis of how fluids move, their interactions with different forces, and their effects on surrounding objects.

What is a hydraulic lift?

A hydraulic lift is a type of machine that uses pressurized fluid (usually oil) to lift heavy objects. It consists of a hydraulic cylinder, which contains the pressurized fluid, and a piston that moves up and down to lift the load. Hydraulic lifts are commonly used in car repair shops, construction sites, and other industries to lift heavy objects.

How does a hydraulic lift work?

A hydraulic lift works on the principle of Pascal's Law, which states that pressure applied to a confined fluid is transmitted equally in all directions. When force is applied to the smaller piston in the hydraulic cylinder, it creates pressure in the fluid, which is transmitted to the larger piston. This results in a larger force being exerted by the larger piston, allowing it to lift heavy objects.

What are the advantages of using a hydraulic lift?

One of the main advantages of using a hydraulic lift is its ability to lift heavy objects with relatively little force. This makes it a convenient and efficient way to lift heavy loads. Hydraulic lifts also have a wide range of applications and can be used in various industries such as automotive, construction, and manufacturing.

What are the limitations of hydraulic lifts?

One limitation of hydraulic lifts is that they require regular maintenance to ensure proper functioning. Any leaks or malfunctions in the hydraulic system can lead to a loss of pressure and affect the lifting capacity of the lift. Another limitation is that hydraulic lifts are not suitable for lifting extremely heavy objects, as the weight may exceed the lift's capacity and cause damage.