Calorimetry Help: Solving a Problem with Ice Phase Change

• Thread starter PhysicsinCalifornia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calorimeter
In summary, the speaker is seeking help with a problem involving calculating the final temperature after mixing coffee and ice. The heat of fusion for ice is mentioned as a factor, and the speaker is unsure of how to apply it. They request further clarification and guidance.
PhysicsinCalifornia
I needed to know if anyone can help me solve a problem.

I am supposed to calculate the final temperature after mixing 250 mL of coffee at 80 degrees C with 250 g of ice at 0 degrees C.

The heat of fusion for ice is 6.01 kJ/mol

The ice undergoes a phase change, but I don't know how to apply it. Can anyone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well the heat of fusion says it all. It is 6.01 kJ/mol. That means that it takes 6.01 kJ of heat to melt 1 mol of ice--that is changing 1 mol of ice at 0 degrees C to 1 mol of water at 0 degrees C.

Technically you're supposed to show some work before you can get help here, so if you need more help please post to what extent you've worked the problem out so far.

Last edited:

Sure, I can definitely help you with this problem! First, we need to understand the principles of calorimetry. Calorimetry is the measurement of heat transfer in a system. In this case, we have a system consisting of hot coffee and ice, and we want to calculate the final temperature after they are mixed together.

To solve this problem, we will use the equation Q = mCΔT, where Q is the heat transferred, m is the mass of the substance, C is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

First, we need to determine the heat released by the coffee (Qcoffee) and the heat absorbed by the ice (Qice). Qcoffee can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the coffee (250 mL) by its specific heat capacity (4.18 J/g°C) and the change in temperature (80°C - Tf, where Tf is the final temperature). Qice can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the ice (250 g) by the heat of fusion (6.01 kJ/mol).

Next, we can set up an equation to represent the conservation of energy in this system: Qcoffee = -Qice. This means that the heat released by the coffee is equal to the heat absorbed by the ice.

Now we can substitute the values we have into the equation: (250 mL)(4.18 J/g°C)(80°C - Tf) = -(250 g)(6.01 kJ/mol).

Solving for Tf, we get a final temperature of 6.08°C. This is the temperature at which the coffee and ice will reach thermal equilibrium.

It's important to note that we did not take into account the heat capacity of the container or any heat loss to the surroundings. These factors may affect the final temperature slightly, but for the purposes of this problem, we can assume they are negligible.

I hope this helps you understand how to solve calorimetry problems involving phase changes. Remember to always pay attention to units and use the appropriate values for specific heat capacities and heat of fusion. Let me know if you have any further questions!

Related to Calorimetry Help: Solving a Problem with Ice Phase Change

1. What is calorimetry and how does it relate to solving a problem with ice phase change?

Calorimetry is the scientific study of heat and energy transfer. It is used to measure the amount of heat involved in a chemical reaction or physical change. In the case of solving a problem with ice phase change, calorimetry is used to measure the energy required to change ice from a solid to a liquid state.

2. How is a calorimeter used in the process of solving a problem with ice phase change?

A calorimeter is a device used to measure the heat involved in a chemical reaction or physical change. In the context of solving a problem with ice phase change, a calorimeter is used to measure the heat absorbed by the ice as it undergoes a phase change from solid to liquid, and this information can then be used to calculate the energy required for the phase change.

3. What is the specific heat capacity of ice and how does it impact the calculation of energy required for a phase change?

The specific heat capacity of ice is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one gram of ice by one degree Celsius. This value is important in calculating the energy required for a phase change because it is used in the formula Q = mcΔT, where Q is the heat transferred, m is the mass of the substance, c is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

4. How does the change in enthalpy affect the energy calculation for ice phase change?

The change in enthalpy, or ΔH, is a measure of the amount of heat absorbed or released during a chemical reaction or physical change. In the case of ice phase change, the change in enthalpy is equal to the energy required for the phase change. This value can be determined experimentally using a calorimeter and can also be calculated using the formula ΔH = mHf, where m is the mass of the substance and Hf is the heat of fusion for the substance.

5. What are some common sources of error when using calorimetry to solve a problem with ice phase change?

Some common sources of error when using calorimetry to solve a problem with ice phase change include heat loss to the surroundings, incomplete phase change, and inaccurate measurements of mass or temperature. It is important to carefully control and monitor these factors in order to obtain accurate results.