Equilibrium temperature of a water and ice system

In summary: Overall, the total heat gained by the ice and water should be equal to zero, since they start with equal masses and end at thermal equilibrium. In summary, the problem is likely incorrect as it does not account for the possibility of melting ice, which would result in a final temperature of 0 C. It may be helpful to break the problem up into stages to properly account for the phase change and temperature changes.
il postino
Homework Statement
Equal masses of ice at –10ºC and water at 80ºC are placed in an insulated container and allowed to reach thermal equilibrium. Calculate the equilibrium temperature
Relevant Equations
m.Lf
m.C.dT
Equal masses of ice at –10ºC and water at 80ºC are placed in an insulated container and allowed to reach thermal equilibrium. Calculate the equilibrium temperature
Data:
Water(ice): 37,65 J/mol.K Agua (l): 75,29 J/mol.K

## Lf = 6011 J/mol ##

I solved it this way:

## -Q_{l} = Q_{ice} ##

## m.(75,29).(80 - T) = m. (37,65).(0 +10) + m.(6011) + m.(75,29).(T - 0) ##

simplifying ##m## since they are equal masses, and solving for ##T##:

## T = - 2,4 °C ##

My teacher's response was:
"The result contradicts the procedure since it calculates the heat absorbed by the ice to become superheated liquid but the obtained temperature is below the melting point"

I don't realize what I have done wrong.
Can you give me help?
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you considered the possibility that some of the ice will melt (but not all), and that the final temperature of the ice and water will be 0 C?

Likes JD_PM, hutchphd, il postino and 1 other person
Chestermiller said:
Have you considered the possibility that some of the ice will melt (but not all), and that the final temperature of the ice and water will be 0 C?

Yes, I have considered it.
But does that mean the result is wrong?

il postino said:
What was your assessment when you considered this?
Well, if the final temperature is 0 C, then yes, the result is wrong. There is only one final state.

il postino said:
It doesn't seem like you considered it. Your equations assume that the ice fully melted (which cannot be true if you think the final temperature is below zero).

It may be helpful to break the problem up into stages. First consider the temperature changes until one phase reaches the melting point, and then consider the phase change, then any temperature change occurring after the phase change (if necessary).

Likes JD_PM

1. What is the equilibrium temperature of a water and ice system?

The equilibrium temperature of a water and ice system is the temperature at which the rate of melting of ice is equal to the rate of freezing of water. At this temperature, the amount of ice and water in the system remains constant.

2. How is the equilibrium temperature of a water and ice system determined?

The equilibrium temperature of a water and ice system can be determined using the principle of energy conservation. The energy gained by the melting ice is equal to the energy lost by the freezing water, resulting in a constant temperature.

3. Does the equilibrium temperature of a water and ice system change with pressure?

Yes, the equilibrium temperature of a water and ice system changes with pressure. According to Le Chatelier's principle, an increase in pressure causes the equilibrium to shift towards the side with fewer moles of gas, which in this case is the liquid water. This results in a decrease in the equilibrium temperature.

4. How does the presence of impurities affect the equilibrium temperature of a water and ice system?

The presence of impurities, such as salt, lowers the equilibrium temperature of a water and ice system. This is because impurities disrupt the crystal lattice structure of ice, making it easier for the ice to melt. This leads to a decrease in the equilibrium temperature as more energy is required to maintain the system in equilibrium.

5. Can the equilibrium temperature of a water and ice system be affected by the initial temperature of the system?

Yes, the initial temperature of the system can affect the equilibrium temperature of a water and ice system. If the initial temperature is above the equilibrium temperature, the ice will melt and the system will cool down until it reaches the equilibrium temperature. On the other hand, if the initial temperature is below the equilibrium temperature, the water will freeze and the system will warm up until it reaches the equilibrium temperature.