Electrostatic Force: Learn About Its Effects

In summary, to find the electrostatic force between two charges, we use the equation F=k(q1q2/d^2), where k is a constant equal to 9 * 10^9 Nm^2/C^2, q1 and q2 are the charges in Coulombs, and d is the distance between the charges in meters. In the given scenario, the force between q1 and q3 is -1.125N and the force between q1 and q2 is 3.5N.
jayryap
electrostatic force!

Homework Statement

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/3914/picture0117.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi Jayryap,

Welcome to PF. Please show your attempt.

please help me ... i don't know what to do next...

am i correct with my work?

thank you very much!

Last edited:

I'm unable to read the pictures!

a)the forces between q1 and q3
F = k * (q1 * q3/d13^2)
k = (1/4πεo) = 9 * 10^9 Nm^2/C^2 and d13= 20 cm = 20 * 10^-2 m
F=-1.125N
b)the force between charges q1 and q3 is
F1 = k * (q1 * q3/d13^2)
= -1.125N
the force between charges q1 and q2 is
F2 = k * (q1 * q2/d12^2)
=3.5N

1. What is electrostatic force?

Electrostatic force is a fundamental force of nature that describes the attraction or repulsion between electrically charged particles. It is caused by the interaction of electric fields, which are created by the presence of electric charges.

2. How does electrostatic force affect everyday objects?

Electrostatic force can cause objects to stick together or repel each other, depending on the charges of the objects. This can be seen in everyday objects like balloons sticking to a wall after being rubbed on hair, or clothes sticking together in the dryer due to static cling.

3. What are the factors that affect the strength of electrostatic force?

The strength of electrostatic force is affected by the magnitude of the charges involved and the distance between them. The force increases as the charges get larger and decreases as the distance between them increases.

4. How is electrostatic force used in technology?

Electrostatic force is utilized in various technologies, such as air filters, printers, and photocopiers. In these devices, electrostatic force is used to attract and repel charged particles, allowing for the separation and transfer of materials.

5. Can electrostatic force be harmful to humans?

In general, electrostatic force is not harmful to humans. However, in certain situations, such as lightning strikes or electric shocks, it can be dangerous. It is important to follow safety precautions and avoid contact with high-voltage sources to prevent harm from electrostatic force.