Is it possible to integrate e^-mod(x^n) for n>2?

• Thread starter KoopaCooper
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation is about integrating \int^{\infty}_{-\infty}\\e^{-mod(x^n)}\\dx for values of n>2. The person is asking if it is valid to take the power series of the function and integrate it, then evaluate it at the end points. Another person responds that it would work for a finite sum and possibly for an infinite sum if the series converges. They also mention the importance of uniform convergence. The conversation then shifts to discussing the value of the series for different values of m and the use of the Gamma function in finding the integral. The original person inquires about the meaning of "mod" and the conversation ends with them discussing different ways to impress their teacher with their
KoopaCooper
OK, this is going back to a problem I studied back in Calculus class; it's been a few years since I graduated, so bear with me please... :)

It's easy to integrate [tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}\\e^{-mod(x)}\\dx[/tex] (giving a value of 2), and with a bit of grunt-work, the same can be done for [tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}\\e^{-mod(x^2)}\\dx[/tex] (giving the value of [tex]\sqrt{\pi}[/tex]). But I was curious about [tex]\int\\e^{-mod(x^n)}[/tex] for values of n>2.
Would it be considered valid to take the power series of the function and integrate it, then evaulate that at the end points?

For example, for the general case of x to an nth power... (oh heck...I tried to used the forum code but it got so tangled up...here's one I MSPainted earlier instead).

My question is, is this integration and evaluation valid? Have I integrated it properly? Does it count? (I never did check if the integrated power series converges). It certainly appears to work when I evaluated the partial sums of the series with x tending towards infinity, for the cases of m=1 and m=2, but is it legal?

Attachments

• Integral.gif
    Integral.gif
    15.8 KB · Views: 2,231
Physics news on Phys.org
It would work for a finite sum, and I think it works for an infinite sum if the series converges (which it does for your conditions on n)... but I cannot give you an absolute answer, only that I think you are safe here.

You've switched m and n around from your introduction in the attachment!

MikeyW said:
It would work for a finite sum, and I think it works for an infinite sum if the series converges (which it does for your conditions on n)... but I cannot give you an absolute answer, only that I think you are safe here.

You've switched m and n around from your introduction in the attachment!

Ah, it's good to know I haven't completely lost my touch at calculus then. :)

I did switch them? *looks* O bother! That's what I get for using a picture that I created quite some time ago...:tongue2:

Convergence is not a sufficient condition to interchange an integral and a summation: You must have uniform convergence.

I don't see how the final series can have a value? It doesn't converge! If the upper limit was some fixed value rather than infinity we could see from the alternating series test that the series converges because the terms decrease monotonically towards zero (after a certain term, at least) .

I don't understand what the "mod(x^2)" means? Could you clarify what it means, and how you got the value of 2 for when m=1 ?

It so happens that [tex]\int_0^{\infty} e^{-x^n} dx = \Gamma \left(1+\frac{1}{n}\right)[/tex].

Huh, that was meant to be [tex]-mod(x)^2[/tex] - I'm not very good at writing neatly in this BulletinBoard maths code.

OK, I'll do this for m=1.

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}\\e^{-mod(x)} = 2\int^{\infty}_{0}\\e^{-x}[/tex]

[tex]= 2\int^{\infty}_{0}\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}\\\frac{-x^n}{n!}[/tex]

[tex]= 2[\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}\frac{(-1)^n}{n+1}\frac{x^{n+1}}{n!}]\\\|^{\infty}_{x=0}[/tex]

[tex]= 2[\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}\frac{(-1)^n\;x^{n+1}}{(n+1)!}\\\|^{\infty}_{x=0}[/tex]

[tex]= -2\\e^{-x}\\\|^{\infty}_{x=0}[/tex]

[tex]= -2\\e^{-\infty} - -2\\e^{-0}[/tex]

[tex]= 0 + 2\1 = 2[/tex]

But for m=2, that is, for the integral of [tex]e^{-mod(x)^2}[/tex], you can't convert the integrated power series back into a simple function, but evaluating that sum for any sufficiently large x (as x --> infinity) does apparently produce [tex]\sqrt{\pi}[/tex] (I ran it through on Excel once).

I didn't know that it could be expressed in terms of the Gamma function, that's interesting to know (my professor never mentioned that).

So, mod mean modulus here?

[tex]
mod(x)=|x|
[/tex]
?

So that's how to write it! Heh, I just had a brain freeze about how to write the modulus symbol in forum code, I can't believe that.

Yes, that is what I meant, [tex]|x|[/tex].

*Slaps "n00b" sign on forehead* :p

Gib Z said:
It so happens that [tex]\int_0^{\infty} e^{-x^n} dx = \Gamma \left(1+\frac{1}{n}\right)[/tex].

this implies at once

[tex]
\int_{\mathbb{R}}{dx\,e^{-|x^n|}}=2\Gamma\left(1+\frac{1}{n}\right).
[/tex]

Huh. For some reason, my class was never taught that identity, and our professor said that

[tex]
\int_{\mathbb{R}}{e^{-|x^n|}dx}
[/tex]

was not solvable at all for [tex]n\geq3[/tex]. Hence my trying to construct another way. O well, waste of my time. :smile:

KoopaCooper said:
Huh. For some reason, my class was never taught that identity, and our professor said that

[tex]
\int_{\mathbb{R}}{e^{-|x^n|}dx}
[/tex]

was not solvable at all for [tex]n\geq3[/tex]. Hence my trying to construct another way. O well, waste of my time. :smile:

Probably meant not solvable in terms of elementary constants and the such. For integer and half integer arguments the Gamma function yields a "nice" value but no such expression has been found for other values.

If you want to get ahead or impress your teacher, try proving the relation.

Gib Z said:
Probably meant not solvable in terms of elementary constants and the such. For integer and half integer arguments the Gamma function yields a "nice" value but no such expression has been found for other values.

If you want to get ahead or impress your teacher, try proving the relation.

Heh, I couldn't impress him anyway. :smile: I graduated years ago and haven't kept in contact with anyone from uni, faculty or fellow students.

I've also been working on/off on trying to find the general derivative of the function [tex]y = \\^{n}\\x[/tex] (tetration, positive integer n only), and it seems to be defined recursively and not in a nice easy way either (involving more than one summation sign).
Although differentiating [tex]y = \\^{\infty}\\x[/tex] is much easier, as it essentially boils down to differentiating the equation [tex]y=x^y[/tex]. It's a slightly messy answer:
[tex]y' = \frac{y^2}{x-x\ln(y)}[/tex]
if I recall correctly, but by far easier than for finite power towers of x.

1. What is the integral of e^-mod(x^n)?

The integral of e^-mod(x^n) cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions. It can only be approximated numerically using advanced techniques such as numerical integration.

2. Can the integral of e^-mod(x^n) be simplified?

No, the integral cannot be simplified further. It is already in its most simplified form.

3. What is the domain of the integral of e^-mod(x^n)?

The domain of the integral depends on the value of n. For n=1, the domain is (-∞, ∞). For n>1, the domain is (0, ∞). For n<1, the domain is (-∞, 0).

4. How is the integral of e^-mod(x^n) related to other mathematical functions?

The integral of e^-mod(x^n) is closely related to the error function and the incomplete gamma function. It also has connections to the Fresnel integrals and the Bessel functions.

5. Can the integral of e^-mod(x^n) be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, the integral of e^-mod(x^n) has applications in various fields including physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to model and analyze various phenomena such as population growth, radioactive decay, and electrical circuits.