Smooth and L^2 on R^n. Will it be bounded?

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of whether a function, u, that is smooth and L^2 on R^n will be bounded. The speaker believes that in the case of n=1, the function will be bounded but in higher dimensions, there could be a function with a ridge that is unbounded but still L^2. The other speaker mentions the need for a proper definition of "smooth" and discusses a possible example of a smooth unbounded function. The conversation also touches on the concept of measure theory and the possibility of a function being L^2 without having a bounded essential supremum.
stradlater
smooth and L^2 on R^n. Will it be bounded??

Hello,
If a function, say u, is smooth and L^2 on R^n. Will it be bounded??

In the case of n=1 I would say that it obviously is so. Because if it were unbounded then it wouldn't be L^2.

But in the case of n=2 (or higher). I can imagine a function with a kind of ridge that gets thinner and thinner but higher and higher, the further away from the origin we get. So that it would be unbounded but still L^2.

I guess I was just wondering if this line of thinking is correct? Thankful for any feedback.

Physics news on Phys.org

stradlater said:
Hello,
If a function, say u, is smooth and L^2 on R^n. Will it be bounded??

In the case of n=1 I would say that it obviously is so. Because if it were unbounded then it wouldn't be L^2.

You have to define "smooth" ... For n=1 do you disallow a sequence of bumps, getting thinner but taller, as you go to infinity. Such a thing could be infinitely differentiable. But the derivative won't be bounded.

As I understand it the question is about one single function, not about a sequence of functions, Any function in L^2, be it smooth or not, needs to be bounded, in the sense that the essential supremum of |f| is finite, for otherwise neither f nor f^2 would be integrable...

Of course you can always change the values of f on set of measure zero so as to make f unbounded and without changing f (as an element of L^2).

Thanks for the quick answers. With smooth I just meant that all the derivatives exist and are continuous. So with smooth I meant to disallow for the above mentioned example regarding sets of measure zero.

And yes, the question was about one single function, but I think the sequence of bumps were meant as a series of bumps along the x-axis (n=1), i.e. one single function.

So, this bump-function, let's call it f, is unbounded and smooth. Meaning that for every M>0 there is an x and and an epsilon such that f>M on the ball around x of radius epsilon. Couldn't this function still be L^2 if the epsilon went to zero sufficiently fast as M got larger?

The problem for me, I think, is that I haven't studied measure theory. But am I correct if I say that smooth and unbounded implies that for every M>0 there exists a set A, where f>M on A,such that [tex]\int_A dS >0[/tex] . In the same way as above couldn't the L^2 norm of f be finite even if ess sup f isn't? Providing that the measure of A goes to zero as M gets larger??

Last edited:

To make things clearer, consider this example(I think this is the function g_edgar mentioned).

Let [tex]\psi(x)[/tex] be a smooth non-negative function such that its support is contained in the interval (-1,1) and such that [tex]\int_R\psi(x)dx=1[/tex].

Now consider the series [tex]\sum_{k=1}^\infty k\psi ((x -2k)k^3 )[/tex]

I believe this series converges pointwise to a smooth unbounded function f(x). But is [tex]f\in L^1 (R)[/tex]? If we were allowed to integrate the series term by term we would get

[tex]\int_R\sum_{k=1}^\infty k\psi ((x -2k)k^3)dx = \sum_{k=1}^\infty 1/k^2dx[/tex]

But the series doesn't converge uniformly so I guess we aren't allowed to do this??

Last edited:

1. Will the function "Smooth and L^2 on R^n" always be bounded?

No, the function "Smooth and L^2 on R^n" may not always be bounded. It depends on the specific function and the domain on which it is defined.

2. What is the significance of the L^2 norm in the function "Smooth and L^2 on R^n"?

The L^2 norm is a measure of the size or magnitude of a vector in n-dimensional space. In the function "Smooth and L^2 on R^n", it is used to evaluate the smoothness of the function and determine its convergence.

3. Can the function "Smooth and L^2 on R^n" be used for any type of data?

Yes, the function "Smooth and L^2 on R^n" can be used for any type of data as long as it is defined in n-dimensional space and satisfies the necessary smoothness and convergence criteria.

4. Is there a relationship between the smoothness and boundedness of the function "Smooth and L^2 on R^n"?

Yes, in general, a smoother function is more likely to be bounded than a less smooth function. However, this is not always the case and there may be exceptions depending on the specific function and domain.

5. How is the smoothness of the function "Smooth and L^2 on R^n" determined?

The smoothness of the function is typically determined by calculating its derivatives and evaluating their convergence as the dimension of the space tends to infinity. This is typically done using mathematical techniques such as Fourier analysis or wavelet analysis.