Intersection Form of Connected Sum of CP^2

In summary, CP^1 has negative self-intersection, which means that the intersection form of CP^2 is not always additive.
Bacle
Hi, Everyone:

Sorry if this is too simple: I guess the intersection for for CP^2

(complex projective 2-space) is (-1), right?. Since H_2(CP^2,Z)=Z,

which is represented by CP^1, which has self-intersection=-1.

Then, if we had a connected sum of CP^2's, the intersection form

would be : (-1)(+)(-1)(+)...(+)(-1) ?

And, if we reversed the orientation of CP^2, then we would

substitute a (-1) for a (+1) , right, or do the orientation

changes of the self-intersecting copies of -CP^2 cancel out

to give us a negative self-intersection?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
mmh. Why -1?

The cohomology algebra of CP^n is generated by an element a in H²(CP^n;Z) with <a^n,[CP^n]>=1, where [CP^n] is the fundamental class for the usual orientation of CP^n.

So as a bilinear form Z x Z --> Z, the intersection form of CP^2 is just multiplication: (p,q)-->pq

Well, Quasar, but if CP^1 generates H_2, then the intersection form Q(CP^2) would
be defined by/as:

CP^1 . CP^1 =-1 (CP^1 has negative self-intersection in CP^2)

(Formally, given a basis {e_1,..,e_n} for H_2, Q is the matrix Q:={Q(e_i,e_j);

i,j=1,..,n).

But ,then, I am not 100% on whether the form is additive under connected sum,

nor on whether the sign of the intersection changes when we reverse orientation.

I guess I am assumming that when we do a connected sum M#M', the basis

elements for H_k( M ) can be made to avoid those of H_k(M'), so that the

intersection form would be additive . I am not 100% sure this is always true,

tho it does work for cases like S_g, the genus-g surface, whose homology is

Z<sup>2g</sup> , and in which we can have a choice of symplectic basis

{x<sub>1</sub>,y<sub>1</sub>,...,x<sub>n</sub>,y<sub>n</sub>} , with

Q(x<sub>i</sub>,y<sub>j</sub>)= Del<sub>i</sub>, <sup>j</sup>

Why does CP^1 have negative self-intersection? That would seem to contradict a lot of things (positivity of holomorphic intersections, the fact that CP^2 is symplectic,...).

I would like to clarify and expand on the concept of the intersection form of a connected sum of CP^2. The intersection form is a mathematical tool used to study the topological properties of a manifold, in this case CP^2. It represents the way in which different parts of the manifold intersect with each other.

In the case of CP^2, which is a complex projective space, the intersection form is indeed (-1). This is because CP^2 has a homology group H_2(CP^2,Z) which is isomorphic to the integers (Z). This means that there is a generator for this group, which can be represented by CP^1, and the self-intersection of CP^1 is -1.

Now, when we consider a connected sum of CP^2's, we are essentially joining multiple copies of CP^2 together at a point. The intersection form for this connected sum will be (-1)(+)(-1)(+)...(+)(-1), as mentioned in the content. This is because each copy of CP^2 has a self-intersection of -1, and when we connect them together, the intersection between them is represented by a (+1).

If we reverse the orientation of one of the CP^2's, the intersection form will change to (-1)(+)(-1)(+)...(-)(-1). This is because reversing the orientation changes the sign of the self-intersection, giving us a (+1) instead of a (-1). However, it is important to note that this does not cancel out the negative self-intersection, as the orientation change only affects the sign of the self-intersection and not the value itself.

I hope this clarifies the concept of the intersection form of a connected sum of CP^2. It is a simple yet important concept in the study of topology and manifold theory.

What is the Intersection Form of Connected Sum of CP^2?

The Intersection Form of Connected Sum of CP^2 is a mathematical concept used to describe the topology of a compact, oriented 4-manifold. It is a bilinear form that captures the intersection properties of the manifold's embedded 2-spheres, and is denoted by λ.

How is the Intersection Form calculated?

To calculate the Intersection Form, one must first choose a basis for the homology group of the manifold. This basis consists of embedded 2-spheres, and the number of 2-spheres in the basis is equal to the second Betti number of the manifold. The intersection number between any two 2-spheres in the basis is then calculated, and the resulting matrix forms the Intersection Form.

What is the significance of the Intersection Form in topology?

The Intersection Form is significant in topology because it provides a way to distinguish between different 4-manifolds that have the same homology groups. It captures important topological information about the manifold, such as its orientation, self-intersections, and the number of connected components.

Can the Intersection Form be used to classify 4-manifolds?

While the Intersection Form is a useful tool in distinguishing between 4-manifolds, it is not enough to completely classify them. Two 4-manifolds can have the same Intersection Form but still be topologically distinct. Other topological invariants, such as the Seiberg-Witten invariants, are needed for a complete classification.

How does the Intersection Form change under a connected sum operation?

Under a connected sum operation, the Intersection Form of the resulting manifold is the direct sum of the Intersection Forms of the individual manifolds being connected. This means that the Intersection Form of the connected sum is the sum of the Intersection Forms of each component, and preserves the information about the individual manifolds.